MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By MeSoHordey Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:38 pm
clint246clint wrote:You see those stickies at the top of the forum?

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=105005

Always a good place to start.

Clint - Why be such a D-bag all the time? Does it make you feel important? You're less than helpful by pointing him back to a post that doesn't even have the answer to the question he was asking. No wonder these forums are empty with your butt-hurt attitude going after newbies for every question they might ask.
By SlingBladeChops MPC5000 Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:26 pm
Thanks, MeSoHordey! I felt the same way. I actually had already seen that link and just wanted to be sure the hard drive was of a standard hard drives size. I have a Fostex VF-16 16track recorder with a hard drive that is very different than the standard PC hard drives.

Clint: Seek Help, the internet is not a good hiding place.
By YumYumRolex Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:11 am
Thank you because he does that to me all the time, if you can upgrade it, I say upgrade it, Im going to buy another 3000 or a 60 for the Roger Linn Sequencer but I seen a 5000 on my craigslist for a 1000...Im thinking of getting another 5000 just to have it as a sounds harddrive...
By MoreBuck$ Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:34 am
YumYumRolex wrote:Thank you because he does that to me all the time,

He's saving you and everyone else wasted time. Clint does a good job keeping the forum moving on, otherwise the same questions get asked every time. Why don't you all try the new and improved search function, or google this forum.
JEEZ!! :?
By MeSoHordey Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:38 pm
MoreBuck$ wrote:
YumYumRolex wrote:Thank you because he does that to me all the time,

He's saving you and everyone else wasted time. Clint does a good job keeping the forum moving on, otherwise the same questions get asked every time. Why don't you all try the new and improved search function, or google this forum.
JEEZ!! :?

His question was legitimate and very little relevant information comes up during a search of hard drive in this forum. Any other useless suggestions Einstein?
By LivePsy Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:52 am
SlingBladeChops MPC5000 wrote:Does the MPC take any standard hard drive. Im thinking about upgrading mines to a 1TB drive pretty soon.

This is a very important question. Many drives do not seem to work and you can waste money purchasing any old EIDE drive. We need a list from people who have a working larger than 80Gb drive. If you have a working drive (including hard disk recording) please post up the manufacturer and model.
By advancedbreed Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:29 pm
I have a 500 GB drive in mine. I bought it off of Amazon and it's a Western Digital SATA drive, BUT I also had to buy an IDE to SATA adapter with it. Larger drives are usually SATA drives, but the MPC takes an IDE drive... So you need the adapter.

This is the adapter I purchased:

http://www.amazon.com/Serial-DVD-ROM-In ... 090&sr=8-1

Good luck!
By LivePsy Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:34 am
Thanks advancedbreed for a helpful post. Can you confirm that the USB connection to computer works, and hard disk recording works?
By advancedbreed Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:10 am
Yes both functions work fine for me. I've never run into any issues. Just hang onto your old drive in case anything ever happens. It can fail just like your computer drive can... Well, they are the same thing essentially.

Also, I've heard of people using much larger drives. I just happen to have installed a 500GB one.
By advancedbreed Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:19 am
Regarding transferring files from your PC to your MPC, I can provide a tip, but it will cost you like an extra $20 or so...

An IDE drive is much slower than a SATA drive. The technology is different. If you plug your MPC into your PC and transfer files, the speed of the file transfer will be sloooow... especially if you have a lot of files.

Your MPC drive needs to be formatted by your MPC, but there may be a way around this. There might be a better way to do this, but this is what I did to save time:

1) Put the new drive using the IDE to SATA adapter into the MPC and format the drive.

2) Take the drive out and plug it into your computer using a USB to SATA external adapter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Con ... 765&sr=8-7

3) Copy all your samples to the drive. I had about 300 GB of samples and ran it overnight. IDE would take MUCH LONGER.

4) Put the drive back in your MPC.

Voila!

It's worth it in my opinion to do that to save yourself some time. From this point forward, if you just transfer some at a time, it's still less time than copying a large number of files.
By MeSoHordey Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:39 pm
advancedbreed wrote:Regarding transferring files from your PC to your MPC, I can provide a tip, but it will cost you like an extra $20 or so...

An IDE drive is much slower than a SATA drive. The technology is different. If you plug your MPC into your PC and transfer files, the speed of the file transfer will be sloooow... especially if you have a lot of files.

Your MPC drive needs to be formatted by your MPC, but there may be a way around this. There might be a better way to do this, but this is what I did to save time:

1) Put the new drive using the IDE to SATA adapter into the MPC and format the drive.

2) Take the drive out and plug it into your computer using a USB to SATA external adapter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Con ... 765&sr=8-7

3) Copy all your samples to the drive. I had about 300 GB of samples and ran it overnight. IDE would take MUCH LONGER.

4) Put the drive back in your MPC.

Voila!

It's worth it in my opinion to do that to save yourself some time. From this point forward, if you just transfer some at a time, it's still less time than copying a large number of files.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of your statement. I can see how the MPC to PC connection would be slower than connecting the drive to your PC via USB (if for some reason, the MPC were somehow unable to process the data at USB speeds). I'm not convinced of this, but it seems possible to me, as my MPC seems to take data over the USB connection ridiculously slow.

However, if you're suggesting IDE is slower than SATA when connected to a PC via a USB cable, this is only true if you're using USB 3.0. An IDE drive will connect just as fast to a PC using an IDE/USB connecter as a SATA drive willl using a SATA/USB connector. The reason is that the USB 2.0 connection is the bottleneck and MUCH slower than either the IDE or SATA drives.

................60MB/sec..................
MPC<--->USB Cable<-------->PC [Slower than either below because MPC is the bottleneck?]

133MB/sec....................60MB/sec..............................
IDE DRIVE<------>IDE/USB 2.0 ADAPTER<-------->PC [This will load data just as fast as the option below]

300MB/sec....................60MB/sec..............................
SATA DRIVE<------>SATA/USB 2.0 ADAPTER<-------->PC [This will load data just as fast as the option above]