Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Flub Mon May 07, 2012 5:39 pm
Hey there,
I ve got a problem with the workflow on my mpc60 which i couldn't solve by myself yet. Perhaps you guys can help me out.
I want to play the S950 using the mpc60s pads without triggering the mpc60 samplers internals sounds on the same midi note number.

So I want it to be just like it is when i set the track to midi instead of drum. Then its just a midi track, but the pads cannot used to control it.

What can i do to use the pads only as "external" midi controller?
By Ian Canefire Tue May 08, 2012 7:29 pm
This is just a shot in the dark as I do not own a MPC60 but I am proficient with midi. Usually there is a local control switch on midi controllers or devices. I would think that the MPC60 is not so old as to not have this option. Once you turn local control to "off" then you should be able to control other devices connected via midi to the MPC 60's midi out without it triggering the internal sounds of the 60.

So search for local control. That is what it is called on all the midi keyboards and such that I have.
Cheers,
ian
By Flub Tue May 08, 2012 8:13 pm
Hi,
I know this option, but the problem with it is that the internal notes come in the playback because the track is set to Drum, when i set it to midi, then no internal sounds get triggered, but then i cannot play with the pads either.

so it is not possible to overdub witht this option. because the internal sounds also gets triggered on playback.

you know what i mean?
By fooddude Tue May 08, 2012 9:36 pm
I have an mpc60 (os 2.02, lol) and s950 too..but I never use the pads for triggering the s950 or external synths..so I can't help ya there, sorry.

But I suggest using a keyboard; it would be way more versatile as they have 61-88 keys (depending on your keyboard) chromatically, keygrouped or individually (depending on how you set your s950 samples) at a given time, as compared to only 16 pads of the mpc.

I always use a keyboard-controller for the mpc60 to control my s950 and my other 4 synths.
By mr_debauch Tue May 08, 2012 11:21 pm
what happens when you record the sequence with the pads playing the internal sounds.. then switch the track over to midi?
By ArKyve-31 Tue May 08, 2012 11:32 pm
Lol, alright, I see what your asking now. once you record the sequence with the 60 sounds and you are ready for the 950 sounds you do need to turn local off, do this by pressing "midi" button the option 2, then turn local mode to off, the sequenced 60 tracks will still play but now you can trigger the 950 without triggering the 60 at the same time
By a_normal_dude Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 am
Hey guys, first post of the forums! Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm just wondering if there is a workaround for this.

In the MPC60, is it possible to record a sequence on an external piece of gear using the pads of the MPC and then overdub over that sequence using the pads without hearing the internal sounds from the program playing back?

Turning local control off achieves half of this as it allows for the pads to be used to sequence external gear without triggering any internal sounds but when it plays back in overdub it also plays back the internal sounds.

Changing the track type to MIDI does not work as it mutes the MIDI input from the internal pads.
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

EDIT: I should mention I am using a 60 with OS 3.15, "Vimana"