Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:18 pm
Coz wrote:I could never get on with the sequencing and arranging when I used it, so I'd just get a bunch of Rex files running through effects, then rewire it into Cubase. It's tempting to jump back aboard now though.

Can it take advantage of all those cores?

Yeah it's 64 bit now. Given it's generally low CPU usage I think it could take advantage of my Cores/RAM better than anything else in my setup. You do need a 64 bit Rewire host though. I'll probably go with Reaper for that on PC, and Logic when I use OS X.

Rex files, no doubt man. Back on my single core P4 I could run 100 REX files like nothing. Granted playing back audio files isn't as taxing as the DSP, but I like how REX are compressed yet still sound as good as the original file. The other thing I love is how you can access all the slices as singles in the rack devices. Kong takes advantage of this to great effect where you can load the whole REX file and choose what part you want the pad to trigger.
By distortedtekno Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:22 pm
Metatron72 wrote:
Coz wrote:Looks like a nice alternative to plugins for Reason users.

It definitely is. It's a bit of a conundrum for me though as I have over 150 paid VST's. Many of which are duplicated in Rack Extensions. I love that the RE versions make use of Reason's excellent CV features, but that's all I would really get by buying the same thing twice. I have an 8 core and 24GB of RAM so rewiring is still my best bet.

Still I may have to get Etch Red just to go nuts with the CV routing in a Combinator. I also wouldn't mind Microtonic (likely coming very soon) as a permanent fixture in my Reason rack.

I understand how people feel, concerning having lots of paid VSTs. Luckily for me, that hasn't been the case, since I was buying hardware instead, due to having a slow PC at the time. But the good news is that with all the REs coming up, there's something for everyone. Etch Red is sweet. Can't wait to buy it. But I also know that it's just like hardware gear lust. I gotta be prepared not to spend too much money at once, since the temptation of buying REs is even more of an addiction these days. However, I've learned to be more cautious over the years and think about what'll suit me best for the time being without spending all my money. There's more synths on the way with the GeForce ReTron. But luckily the 30 day trial on REs has been a huge benefit for me, as I can evaluate what I'll buy in the future. :)
By Coz Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:25 pm
Metatron72 wrote:Rex files, no doubt man. Back on my single core P4 I could run 100 REX files like nothing. Granted playing back audio files isn't as taxing as the DSP, but I like how REX are compressed yet still sound as good as the original file. The other thing I love is how you can access all the slices as singles in the rack devices. Kong takes advantage of this to great effect where you can load the whole REX file and choose what part you want the pad to trigger.

I can tell it would take me a while to get back up to speed... there's a lot of of modules that I don't recognise the sound of for starters. When I last used it they'd just introduced the Maelstrom synth. :oops:
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:28 pm
Coz wrote:
Metatron72 wrote:Rex files, no doubt man. Back on my single core P4 I could run 100 REX files like nothing. Granted playing back audio files isn't as taxing as the DSP, but I like how REX are compressed yet still sound as good as the original file. The other thing I love is how you can access all the slices as singles in the rack devices. Kong takes advantage of this to great effect where you can load the whole REX file and choose what part you want the pad to trigger.

I can tell it would take me a while to get back up to speed... there's a lot of of modules that I don't recognise the sound of for starters. When I last used it they'd just introduced the Maelstrom synth. :oops:

Damn yo, what was that like 2.0? I started on 2.5.
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:32 pm
distortedtekno wrote:
Metatron72 wrote:
Coz wrote:Looks like a nice alternative to plugins for Reason users.

It definitely is. It's a bit of a conundrum for me though as I have over 150 paid VST's. Many of which are duplicated in Rack Extensions. I love that the RE versions make use of Reason's excellent CV features, but that's all I would really get by buying the same thing twice. I have an 8 core and 24GB of RAM so rewiring is still my best bet.

Still I may have to get Etch Red just to go nuts with the CV routing in a Combinator. I also wouldn't mind Microtonic (likely coming very soon) as a permanent fixture in my Reason rack.

I understand how people feel, concerning having lots of paid VSTs. Luckily for me, that hasn't been the case, since I was buying hardware instead, due to having a slow PC at the time. But the good news is that with all the REs coming up, there's something for everyone. Etch Red is sweet. Can't wait to buy it. But I also know that it's just like hardware gear lust. I gotta be prepared not to spend too much money at once, since the temptation of buying REs is even more of an addiction these days. However, I've learned to be more cautious over the years and think about what'll suit me best for the time being without spending all my money. There's more synths on the way with the GeForce ReTron. But luckily the 30 day trial on REs has been a huge benefit for me, as I can evaluate what I'll buy in the future. :)

Just a quick thought on Etch. I love it and I'm assuming the sound is the same in the RE Red version. But is it just me is that the most neutral sounding filter you've ever heard? No character at all. To be fair what it does especially when you go off on the modulations is incredible, but I do find it's sound character a bit plain.
By Coz Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:39 pm
Metatron72 wrote:Rex Damn yo, what was that like 2.0? I started on 2.5.

I think I started on 2.0 and finished up on 3.0. It's been too long to remember.
By ArKyve-31 Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:51 pm
Coz wrote:
Metatron72 wrote:Rex Damn yo, what was that like 2.0? I started on 2.5.

I think I started on 2.0 and finished up on 3.0. It's been too long to remember.

I'm unaware of what you have software wise, but the 4k integrated with Reason 6 and midi keyboard is IMO the best hybrid setup available, the ease of routing the addition of the virtual ssl mixer and audio tracks, and new effects like the alligator and future rack extensions makes for endless capabilities

Here is a overview of the alligator if you missed it, (i'd love to see what your results would be if you dove into the new Reason) :smoker:

By Metatron72 Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:05 pm
That's the best Props promo since that outdoor Kong one where people were going all DDR on it. Thanks for posting it, I am definitely hooking up Reason tonight. I need to get comfortable with that mixer, I'm certainly impressed by it. I do have a 4K but it was the 4th MPC I bought so I haven't delved into it like I should yet. I did fill it with E-MU/Ensoniq patches. I bought the patches from Digital Sound Factory and used Extreme Sample Converter to convert them. The 4K's filter loves those old sounds. :-D I've gotten lost lately in running a MIDI'd Monotribe through ITB FX chains, and while the setup you suggested is obviously digital it would cover just about everything. Best of both worlds really.

As far as software it would be easier to ask what I don't have. :lol:

You mentioned synths earlier, I hope they do an RE version of u-he ACE. Patch cords on the front and back, oh boy. And yes indeed I do need to start making more tracks and get away from the "museum curator" steez a setup like mine can induce. Some hardware here I just fire it up to make sure it still works. :lol:
By inflict3 Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:46 pm
yea, ive been using reason since 1.0 and it is definitely that program..u can do just about anything any other program or hardware can do with it... so lets start sharing tips......ok, never messed with kong much, except to load drums and make drums... last nite i explored chopping with kong non-distructive poor mans style... what i did was load my loop/sample, i used a drum break in pad #1, then under the windows tap I pulled up my tool window under the audio tap is my sample, i duplicated it many times (as many times as you want slices, then on the kong i load up each duplicate in to the different pads, now if u open up the drop down on the bottom of kong so u can see its lil sampler down there, there is a button that says edit sample, here you can go in and change start and end points, u have the option to make the sample keep looping when u hit the pad, u can even crop it, then save it, do this on each pad and bam! the sample editing window is nice, you can hold command and scroll to the side to zoom over the wave view.. if u dont feel like pulling up recycle to chop this works nice...
By distortedtekno Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:12 pm
Just a quick thought on Etch. I love it and I'm assuming the sound is the same in the RE Red version. But is it just me is that the most neutral sounding filter you've ever heard? No character at all. To be fair what it does especially when you go off on the modulations is incredible, but I do find it's sound character a bit plain.

Yeah I noticed the same as well about the filter. It is very neutral sounding. I'm assuming the devs intended it to be that way, due to what can be done with all the modulation. But I'm only speculating here.
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:35 pm
distortedtekno wrote:

Yeah I noticed the same as well about the filter. It is very neutral sounding. I'm assuming the devs intended it to be that way, due to what can be done with all the modulation. But I'm only speculating here.

There was a thread on GearSlutz where people where asking about Etch and if the filters were from DCAM Synth Squad. As it turns out the guy, Andrew Simper who did the ones in DCAM no longer works for FXpansion. He is currently working on a filter plugin for his company Cytomic called The Drop. Cytomic's stuff has a very discernible character (that oversampled aliasing free ITB 'analog" sound) and this upcoming filter plug is expected to be the same. He said in the thread that he and FXpansion made an agreement that no code from DCAM or Etch would be recycled in Cytomic's releases.

I don't think he coded Etch to be "neutral" sounding on purpose though. My expectations were based on hearing DCAM and it's probably fair to say those modeled oscillators had more to do with the character of DCAM's sound (which I think is very good) than the filters.

Like we all noticed Etch is so versatile and well thought out it makes up for it's perceived lack of character.
By distortedtekno Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:49 pm
I just bought the Audio Damage Rough Rider compressor for $19. It's on sale until July 7th. The original price is $29. Definitely worth the money, after doing several comparisons to all the other compressors in Reason. A friend of mine said it has similar characteristics to the LA-2a. This compressor is bangin!!! :nod:
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:52 pm
distortedtekno wrote:I just bought the Audio Damage Rough Rider compressor for $19. It's on sale until July 7th. The original price is $29. Definitely worth the money, after doing several comparisons to all the other compressors in Reason. A friend of mine said it has similar characteristics to the LA-2a. This compressor is bangin!!! :nod:

Nice. I LOVE Audio Damage. I have all their stuff except the newer filter and panner. DubStation 1.5 is literally the best $49 I ever spent on anything musical. I'd pay full price again for an RE version in a heartbeat.
By Coz Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:57 pm
ArKyve-31 wrote:I'm unaware of what you have software wise, but the 4k integrated with Reason 6 and midi keyboard is IMO the best hybrid setup available, the ease of routing the addition of the virtual ssl mixer and audio tracks, and new effects like the alligator and future rack extensions makes for endless capabilities

Here is a overview of the alligator if you missed it, (i'd love to see what your results would be if you dove into the new Reason) :smoker:

Nice one Ark. :-D

I've seen that video before... maybe even in this thread?

I'm taking my setup and working method way back to when I started, albeit with better quality gear and more control over what I can do with it. I plan on making the 4k the hub of everything, with ADAT in and out running to and from the computer so I can bounce ideas and sounds around without losing quality.

I've also just bought a fat analogue synth, so making fart noises should be easy now!

At some point I will set up a bunch of templates so I can monitor incoming signals with Cubase, and then work on the kind of plugins to use on the way in.

Better integration with the computer on the midi side of things will probably come later though.