Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By LMSW Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:04 am
Is there anyway to move the pad assignment of VSTs? For example, if I have an instrument that starts on PAD C1-- can I move it so that it starts on PAD C1? I need help from you Renaissance Men and Women.
By Blue Haze Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:40 am
I don't have a Ren but I do have experience on daws, maschine and mpcs.

I may be wrong but with a full sampler you can set the full key range for the intrument to play using the program and multi functions. However a synth with cover the full range of the keyboard as it is being generated. Some multi synths like allow you to stack synths like Omnisphere and set lower range and upper range by some uber velocity settings but that come from the plugin.
By JAH Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:02 am
LMSW wrote:Is there anyway to move the pad assignment of VSTs? For example, if I have an instrument that starts on PAD C1-- can I move it so that it starts on PAD C1? I need help from you Renaissance Men and Women.

What type of VST? Drum? Synth?

Unlike some previous model MPCs, you can't change the Ren's note number assignment. The pads are fixed in the GM Format. For plugins that will be mapped chromatically.

If you want an MPC pad to play a different note that it's default for VSTs, you would have to make that change from within that VST, if that plugin allows this.
By LMSW Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am
JAH wrote:
LMSW wrote:Is there anyway to move the pad assignment of VSTs? For example, if I have an instrument that starts on PAD C1-- can I move it so that it starts on PAD C1? I need help from you Renaissance Men and Women.

What type of VST? Drum? Synth?

Unlike some previous model MPCs, you can't change the Ren's note number assignment. The pads are fixed in the GM Format. For plugins that will be mapped chromatically.

If you want an MPC pad to play a different note that it's default for VSTs, you would have to make that change from within that VST, if that plugin allows this.

I was thinking of how I use Kontact (samples) in Maschine. Maschine allows note assignment to pads of your liking.

The chromatic mapping across the pads alway seem to fall in the wrong place for my one take performances (between two banks). The downside of changing the VST itself is that if you change VSTs you have to reedit. Oh well, just another thing I will miss about Maschine.
By Blue Haze Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:38 am
A sampler allows you to change the range of a key group program. Kontakt is a vst sampler. But a synth using tone generators don't allow for this it is different. No mpc except for the mpc 5000 has a build in synth and it is the same spread over all the keys.

You could just sample your vst and put it in a key group program on the Ren to do what you want. Or do it in Kontakt but I couldn't expect Massive, moog or other synths in the Ren as vsts to change from chromatic order as that isn't how they are designed. Samplers and synths though similar are different.

Then again I may be wrong.
By LMSW Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:54 am
If Ren allowed this it would actually surpass Maschine, because Maschine allows this but is limited to the one bank that you place the VST. If Ren continued to function as it does (keygroup across banks) and allowed the placement of the beginning note it would be incredible. Of course you can always use a midi keyboard to get your notes. But, some producers like to use the pads for certain feel, and those that buy MPC Studio (for portability) may really benefit from this.

Blue Haze, yes you could sample the instruments but it is another step, and you would then lose the tweakable parameters in the VST.
By JAH Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:04 pm
Hopefully they will add this function in an upcoming OS update. Pad note # assignment is an important MPC function.
By e9000k Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:31 pm
JAH wrote:Hopefully they will add this function in an upcoming OS update. Pad note # assignment is an important MPC function.

Agreed, how does Ren behave when a Program with custom pad note assignment is loaded from lets say the 5000 or 4000?
By MPC-Tutor Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:30 pm
e9000k wrote:Agreed, how does Ren behave when a Program with custom pad note assignment is loaded from lets say the 5000 or 4000?

Works fine, it remembers the original MIDI note assignment, and the PGM export retains it as well. But the only way to tell is to export the file back into a legacy MPC, there's no visual 'read out' of pad MIDI note assignment in the Ren, let alone a way to edit it.

However, the new .xpm program format is just an XML file, so you can open it up in any text editor and manually change the MIDI note assignment.

Code: Select all<PadNoteMap>
      <PadNote number="1">
        <Note>36</Note>
      </PadNote>
      <PadNote number="2">
        <Note>37</Note>
      </PadNote>
etc etc
By e9000k Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:41 pm
Would that mean I could use a blank pgm as template to trigger external midi gear with the note assignment from the blank pgm?

Likewise use the blank pgm to load up sounds into that custom note assign pgm?
By JAH Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:22 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
e9000k wrote:Agreed, how does Ren behave when a Program with custom pad note assignment is loaded from lets say the 5000 or 4000?

Works fine, it remembers the original MIDI note assignment, and the PGM export retains it as well. But the only way to tell is to export the file back into a legacy MPC, there's no visual 'read out' of pad MIDI note assignment in the Ren, let alone a way to edit it.

However, the new .xpm program format is just an XML file, so you can open it up in any text editor and manually change the MIDI note assignment.

Code: Select all<PadNoteMap>
      <PadNote number="1">
        <Note>36</Note>
      </PadNote>
      <PadNote number="2">
        <Note>37</Note>
      </PadNote>
etc etc

Outstanding! Need a Tips and Tricks thread......