Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Alkota Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:16 pm
I know this has probably been asked before... but w/ the Vintage mode... is it being performed via software algorithms? Or built in AD/DA converters? Just curious if this is true analog flavor or just analog modeling.
By m56p87 Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:03 pm
Danoblk wrote:So Ren has both, where the a/d converters from?

It's an audio interface as well
By Rocksitter Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:08 pm
A audio interface but you have to sample audio you cant just record onto tracks....
By m56p87 Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:15 pm
Danoblk wrote:whats the ad/da converters inside the ten though

What? If your asking what the a/d converters do on the REN it's a lot like what they do on other MPC's. When your manipulating your sounds inside the MPC or on the computer with the Ren you are working with your sounds in a digital workspace but when you sample in or use the outputs connected to your speakers the audio is being converted either from or too analog.

Rocksitter wrote:A audio interface but you have to sample audio you cant just record onto tracks....

An audio interface none the less though.
By Alkota Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:17 am
So for the additional "analog flavor" ala 3000,60, SP1200 mode... you have to bounce your tracks through Ren's outputs?

Makes sense.
By fobedafied Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:52 am
craigslist got all the vintage mode i could ever need... and all the beta-testing has been completed in advance... :nod: :smoker:
By DJ Hellfire Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:52 am
Alkota wrote:I know this has probably been asked before... but w/ the Vintage mode... is it being performed via software algorithms? Or built in AD/DA converters? Just curious if this is true analog flavor or just analog modeling.

Alkota wrote:So for the additional "analog flavor" ala 3000,60, SP1200 mode... you have to bounce your tracks through Ren's outputs?

Makes sense.

You must be cooking up some tasty new kits! :nod:

Anyway, I believe the way it works is that the actual vintage mode button (3000, 60, 1200) are all software emulations and do not need to be bounces out of the hardware outs. However, the hardware outs are the exact same as the MPC 3000, just with upgrade converters. So bounce anything out the outs (even without vintage mode on) will add some 3000 flavor. Not 100% sure, but this is how I interpreted the information.
By boomspot Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:55 am
Am I the only one not hearing a real difference with the vintage mode?

Sure, I hear a bit of a low freq bump when i'm engaging the MPC60 mode, but it doesn't sound anything like the 60 I owned years ago. Also, the SP-1200 (other) button is barely making a difference when the button is engaged. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I have the MPC Ren set as the soundcard with 1&2 outs going into my UA Apollo.

I look fwd to your feedback.

Thanks,

D
By JAH Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:01 am
boomspot wrote:Am I the only one not hearing a real difference with the vintage mode?

Sure, I hear a bit of a low freq bump when i'm engaging the MPC60 mode, but it doesn't sound anything like the 60 I owned years ago. Also, the SP-1200 (other) button is barely making a difference when the button is engaged. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I have the MPC Ren set as the soundcard with 1&2 outs going into my UA Apollo.

Thanks,

D

UA Apollo? Nice. I am trying to get that Thunderbolt card when it is released in the next week or so....
By boomspot Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:03 am
Yes sir! I'd be looking for the TB card as well if I had a newer Mac. What's the ETA on your MPC Ren?

D
By JAH Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:39 am
I have no idea. I am waiting for a Ren from two sources.

I think the major difference from the one I have and the ones in stores are the newly design pad sensors and pads as well as the silk screening. The Ren in stores have lights coming from only the base of the pads and some button designations have been changed.

Edit - Just received a call. My Thunderbolt card will be delivered in less than 48 hrs! Now I get to see if it will live up to Apple's claims.
By forwerd Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:01 pm
boomspot wrote:Am I the only one not hearing a real difference with the vintage mode?

Thanks,

D

The most noticeable difference to me were the decays. Just do a snare hit in each of the modes and listen to the tail.