Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By TrypseT Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:24 pm
I've read the manual...think I have a grasp of what a pattern is.....just really have no idea of how this would be useful.

Also, when mixing down ..... would it be better to record dry into DAW....then send back out to a mixing desk....then back into the DAW?

whats the most classic tried and true way of mixing down.?.

thanks

MPC1000 JJOS2XL

soundcloud.com/trypset
By damien907 Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:31 pm
using the analog outs is a very popular way to track out, everything into the DAW dry is what i would do, or you could try this, its what ive been doing lately.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=158468
By Jamon Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:05 pm
Probably should separate such different questions in the future, so it's easier for people to find the answers.

Patterns are like, phrases for a single program or instrument. They can be used in many ways.

You could make arpeggiator patterns that are more complex than the default ones for an ARP track.

You could program a complex pitch-bend pattern, so you're playing an instrument, then hit that pad, and it performs the impossible pitch-bend automatically.

You could program any other kind of expression, like adding vibrato, or a more complex LFO for controlling filter than the default types. The patterns can loop and hold, so to make a kind of LFO you just make it for 1 bar, then it will keep repeating if you want.

You can make bass-line patterns, then easily add a melody to your drum loop. Patterns also have a transpose setting, so you can reuse the same melody with +2 and it'll sound different.

They can be used for live performance.

But there's also the pattern track, which can in some cases replace Simult Sequence. What you do is, when you start a project, make the first track your drum sample program, and record your basic drum loops. So bar 1 might be the intro, bar 2 might be the normal loop, and bar 3 is a variation. Then convert those bars into 3 patterns. Go to the pattern track, and sequence your underlying structure, like: 1 2 2 2 2 3 2 2 2 2. Now you can start a new sequence, or delete that drum track you made, and you've got your drum track now on the pattern track. It'll play with your sequence in the background, so you're free to add on top of it using other tracks.

You can actually use the pattern track to replace the metronome. Since the pattern track can loop, you can just have your preferred drum beat pattern that you drop into the pattern track, and it'll repeat as your sequence plays. Then you can turn it on or off at any time.
By bliprock Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:41 pm
Patterns can also be used for MIDI. So any MIDI data can be set to a pattern and then as it is then on a pad, you can say program a filter sweep or volume changes ect, depending on your synth ect.
By golfdogz Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:01 am
Jamon wrote:You can actually use the pattern track to replace the metronome. Since the pattern track can loop, you can just have your preferred drum beat pattern that you drop into the pattern track, and it'll repeat as your sequence plays. Then you can turn it on or off at any time.

I like this business. I was toying with putting in a feature request for a way to edit the metronome timing so it's not always so rigid and can be adjusted so you have a consistant groove on different sequences. But this should hopefully do the trick.
By Pazkalin Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:38 pm
For me the best thing with patterns,

is to make them to fit with loops that i have to Chop in 4, 8 or 16 samples that you automaticly split on the pads... (you have to use the automatic splice , that divides all the parts equally)

And i made them so that they fit in one, half or two mesures.

After that, you are able to play them automaticly at half , double , or normal speed, and changing the tempo, envellopes or the tune as you want.

P
By Superpowerface Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:17 am
Am I right in thinking patterns are also useful with the MIDI Button mode? Can you step edit patterns so that you have a sequence of MIDI notes and CC values sent in a certain order?

Then you could just connect the MIDI Out of your MPC to its MIDI In and control it via the pads.