Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By psr Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:04 am
I've not been one for collecting vintage gear but lately I've been really wanting to cop a SP 1200. I'm not too convinced that all of these emulations of the sp 1200 and MPC 60 are as punchy and crunchy as the real thing.

But I'll be damn if these things arent as much or more pricey as a Tempest or something. makes it tough to try and pull the trigger on it.

Who out there thinks its worth it to try and cop one considering Maschine's and Ren's emus? Any common maintenance issues that I should be aware of?
By Metatron72 Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:28 am
Yeah I consistently see those same few sellers and minty ones on eBay for $2000-$2500. It's insane how they jumped so much in the last few years. Seemed like $1600 was a lot more common a price just 3-4 years ago. I know I saw SP12's for $800 or less around then too. I just saw one of those at $1600.

It's been years since I was around an SP1200 (fried MOBO at the end, it was like a person died). But I don't think these emulations come close. I'm glad coders try it and I find the ones in Maschine useable, but near 1:1 like emptysea would tout, oh hell no.
By psr Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:37 am
yeah... I've only been around an SP1200 and a SP 12 a few times up close and personal and then there were a few shows where KRS one brought one on stage for some live beat making. the punch was so nice.

what are the major differences in the SP12 and the SP1200? sample time and storage medium?
By Ill-Green Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:44 am
Its just another case of supply and demand in the aftermarket. I think only 10,000 SPs were made, maybe less, so there's a certain rarity to it as well. I remember checking out the remade grey version, but wasn't interested because the sample time wasn't even expanded. Its funny because back then, it was more about having more sample time than the sound it produced, hardware was the norm so it was taken for granted. Now, because soundcards have gotten so generic and cold in sound, people want that old sound again, which is why these prices remain like if they were new. Plus, being stand-alone hardware, there's no need for software so its always timeless.
By Metatron72 Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:45 am
Yeah I think it comes down to usable sample time mostly and the SP12 has a few onboard sounds. Same here I only ever toyed with a friend's SP1200.

The punch is the thing and of course the ring modded re-pitching magic. There's a sig on Gearslutz I think that says "the SP1200 is like Jesus beatboxing in your ear". Forgive me that I can't credit whoever for that legendary quote.

If I recall they both can use C64 1541 floppy external drives.

And yeah, Ill Green nailed how we got to this point with demand and trading prices
By jibber Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:05 am
The SP1200 won't do any magic to weak samples. You still have to find good drum sounds on records to get dope drums, but once you find good drums, it certainly does sound nice and punchy. Pitching up samples on the turntable and tuning them down again in the SP has a much more obvious sound that i find very unique.

Is it worth it for that sound alone? Maybe yes, maybe no... an S950 is dope as well and only a fraction of the price. An emax could be considered as well....

What is actually worth the price in my opinion when it comes to the SP1200 is the machine itself, the workflow, the sequencer. I've never had so much fun making beats as i have with the SP. It's so straight forward, so limited and simple, it's a little bit like an MPC500, but MUCH better... :-D
By jibber Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:29 am
I'm thinking S950 for punchy drums. If you sample hot into the S950 it really does magic to drums. :wink:
By psr Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:57 am
Hmmm. the akai S900 and s950 seem to be a pretty solid bet. You may have just saved me a grip of loot. :-D

SP 1200 $2000+
S950 approx $450 - $550
S900 approx $250 - $350

Same 12 bit punch. I just read that some guy paired the s950 with his MPC 4000... Sampling drums and even bass tones from soft synths to get much fatter results.

----> EDIT<----
So does the S950 have more filters than the s900? It says they S900 only has low pass filter (no resonance). I think I will go for the S950. I'm excited. Tryin to cop soon. they're out there.
Last edited by psr on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By mr_debauch Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:06 am
psr wrote:Hmmm. the akai S900 and s950 seem to be a pretty solid bet. You may have just saved me a grip of loot. :-D

SP 1200 $2000+
S950 approx $450 - $550
S900 approx $250 - $350

Same 12 bit punch. I just read that some guy paired the s950 with his MPC 4000... Sampling drums and even bass tones from soft synths to get much fatter results.

s900/s950 are good... but 250-350 for an s900 seems high.. is that really the going rate today? wow... a couple of years ago you could pick them up for 80-100 bucks. 150 if it had the audio input trigger board that fobe has. (what a cool expansion idea that is exclusive to the s900)

I dont think the sp1200 is the same type of 12 bit sampler or sound though... but I think the reason often they are both mentioned is because they are both great and unique. The thing is, at 100-200 bucks... maybe even at 300-350... if you are even considering gear because of vintage sound... there is no real excuse not to have the real thing. At 2600 bucks for the sp1200s I saw recently on ebay... maybe not. last year or so 1800 bucks was the rip off price area on ebay.

essentially, once you find a good s900/s950... you will probably be happy with that... but it isn't going to help you with not getting that sp1200.. lol if that makes sense. You still are gonna need the sp too.. :lol:
By psr Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:10 am
mr_debauch wrote:essentially, once you find a good s900/s950... you will probably be happy with that... but it isn't going to help you with not getting that sp1200.. lol if that makes sense. You still are gonna need the sp too.. :lol:

oh boy... :lol: :lol: :lol:
can of worms!!
By mr_debauch Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:24 am
psr wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:essentially, once you find a good s900/s950... you will probably be happy with that... but it isn't going to help you with not getting that sp1200.. lol if that makes sense. You still are gonna need the sp too.. :lol:

oh boy... :lol: :lol: :lol:
can of worms!!

lol.. yeah you know it.. you got that sp1200 some day down the road.. and then you find out about how the sp12 had a micro hertz difference in fidelity from the 1200.. there goes another 700. it's a vicious cycle, really... :lol:
By master-ceo Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:51 am
SP is nice but the 60 will do a nice job too. I would only lean twoard the SP because of the different work flow it has. Let them 2 stacks go on a mint one. Your not losing money on a SP.