Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Juppdich Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:16 pm
Man finaly some kind of Success!!
Now that I´m proud Owner of a Second MPC 60 (Besides a 3K and a 2500) :-D
I could read out its OP Rom and the Outcome was that the First **** Byte was different (4E instead of 0E).
So the Dump i posted seems to be faulty in the first Byte, rest is ok.

Further I tested the Rom from the faulty Machine in the working one with the Result:
The Working Machine boots but has no reaction --> Error seems to come from Rom Chip.
Also bought a new Rom Chip off Ebay and so i will see if it works with a newly burned OP Rom Chip...

Now as a next Step I need OS 3,10 instead of 2.04 because saving sequences all the Time before sampling sucks :smoker:
Somebody can help me out with that in some way?
By Clint Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:03 pm
Juppdich wrote:
Now as a next Step I need OS 3,10 instead of 2.04 because saving sequences all the Time before sampling sucks...Somebody can help me out with that in some way?

Yes, Roger Linn.

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/mpc60-software.html

$195.00 plus shipping.
By Beatdiggerjazzcat Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:40 pm
Very old thread... But an unresolved one.

Long story short:
Just finished rebuilding an Mpc 60 that on first tests worried me that it had this ghost issue.
Luckily... It was a multi setting that I had overlooked lol.

Anyway, this had me thinking about why this fault happens and what could be the cause.

After looking at the schematics and a little head work I am sure I can cure the infamous ghost fault.

Any one in the uk have a machine with this error?

Obviously the fault is a bad one so its likely that someone has a machine in a box gathering dust that could be revived.

I am not after £, I am looking to solve this fault.
No fee to pay, even if repair is successful.
:)
By rokuez Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:16 pm
Beatdiggerjazzcat wrote:Very old thread... But an unresolved one.

Long story short:
Just finished rebuilding an Mpc 60 that on first tests worried me that it had this ghost issue.
Luckily... It was a multi setting that I had overlooked lol.

Anyway, this had me thinking about why this fault happens and what could be the cause.

After looking at the schematics and a little head work I am sure I can cure the infamous ghost fault.

Any one in the uk have a machine with this error?

Obviously the fault is a bad one so its likely that someone has a machine in a box gathering dust that could be revived.

I am not after £, I am looking to solve this fault.
No fee to pay, even if repair is successful.
:)

did this ever get solved?
By bigKB123 Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:05 am
Just a heads up. If you have the "ghost in the mpc" problem or crakling in samples.

It's a good chance it's bad Ram.

I know this because I just took my Mpc to Forat with the same problem and I watched him troubleshoot.

My Mpc had that daisy chain hack ram extension mod from 1993.

What he did was sample 5 sec of music on each pad until he used all the memory.

We noticed the crackling on the 4th or 5th pad, that signified a bad chip in the 2nd half (whatever that means, that's what he said).

Told me that he could remove all of the old soldered in Ram and put in new ram for 100 bucks. I'd be loosing that hack ram extension, but I could just get grab memory later on.

I agreed and it worked! No crackling.

Hope this helps someone down the line!
By Beatdiggerjazzcat Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:32 am
I have also seen a ram hack cause ghosting and I removed the lot and replaced it, this did solve the problem. It is not the answer in all cases though as many previous posts will tell you. There are a few other things other than the ram chips themselves, but all are very repairable
By sweatyr Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:13 pm
another reviving the old thread.

I think my mpc 60 is having this ghost issue and crackling noise on longer sample.
So is it confirmed that this is ram expansion board issue?
how can I know whether my mpc 60 has the memory hack instead of the expansion board?
By edzer Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:44 pm
^ the cracking in sample trigger is getting bad for my 60 as well. generally it is at the start of the sample in my case.

double checking to see if a ram replacement will fix this one as well?
By 27b Tue May 07, 2019 3:33 pm
I am also having the static issue on my MPC60 II. Replaced the expansion RAM and that did NOT fix the issue. Just chiming in to keep this thread alive.
By KlassycZ Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:12 pm
hello all

I also have a mpc60 mk1 which presents this problem, taking it apart to see, I noticed some kind of hack. In fact it is about a wire which connects the component ic25 and the component c19 on the pcb voices. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but if someone could tell me who it is for that would be cool.
Thank you
By KlassycZ Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:53 am
By putting OS 1.0 back in my mpc60 I noticed that I no longer had the weird digital artifacts, and there are no more pops at the end of the bass.
OS 1.0 limits the length of samples to 5.2 seconds while 3.10 allows you to sample more. So I think the storage is organized by block of 5.2 seconds (a bit like the sp1200 with its 2.5s).
OS 3.10 is fine, but maybe it's too computationally intensive for the mpc60.
It's a possibility, if someone has found another solution, I'm interested.
By ancaja123 Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:02 pm
Good to know that there is a difference in sample “performance” when downgrading OS. Interesting it gets rid of the pop on the bass samples (which interestingly enough happens in my Ensoniq EPS as well). Tell me more about the “wire” you speak of, my MPC60 had the zipper noise and the ghost notes problem. I took it into a very trusted repair shop but they’re not very familiar with the MPC60 or any Akai samplers, mostly just synths. The first thing he noticed was that there was a wire sticking straight up off a chip, and it looked intentional. Also there looked to be some sort of transformer(?!) on a piece of cork, that wasn’t secured at all to anything.
He ended up reseating everything, and I think he fixed that wire, and the zipper noise actually went away, tho it’s come back once after loading samples, but I just power cycled and reloaded them and had no issue. The problem with ghost samples playing when other pads/samples are triggered is STILL happening. I’ve decided I should probably take it to Forat.
By richie Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:01 am
KlassycZ wrote:By putting OS 1.0 back in my mpc60 I noticed that I no longer had the weird digital artifacts, and there are no more pops at the end of the bass.
OS 1.0 limits the length of samples to 5.2 seconds while 3.10 allows you to sample more. So I think the storage is organized by block of 5.2 seconds (a bit like the sp1200 with its 2.5s).
OS 3.10 is fine, but maybe it's too computationally intensive for the mpc60.
It's a possibility, if someone has found another solution, I'm interested.

While I've had no actual experience with your specific issue, the fact that you're using an older OS which limits how sample memory is spanned leads me to believe that there is a potential fault with your RAM card.

With Akai machines of that age, I've only experienced clicks and faults when the RAM itself is faulty, nothing to do with the OS itself.

The only time an OS would / could be an issue is if the EPROM chips you have with 3.10 have some sort of fault which can happen with age, where the EPROM will start losing part of the data programmed to it. It's uncommon but possible.

You could also try to buy a EPROM set with Vimana to see if it yields any difference with the clicking issue you're having.