The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By alamin Wed May 29, 2013 12:20 pm
Hello,

Lots of us would like to have MPC1000 battery powered, to be able to move easily...

Technically speaking, it *should* be possible to add a battery unit in the 2,5" hard disk bay.

1/ Where to find a battery that fits in a 2,5" case ? I'm sure it's possible to find such a battery somewhere in the world... ie larger than a phone battery, and smaller than a laptop computer battery...

2/ If a battery can be fitted in the hard disk bay, I don't see any reason why it would impossible to wire this battery to the power PCB of the MPC (after transformer)... This needs to be studied!

3/ Battery time : I already measured the ampere electro current used by a MPC, and did some rough computations, but I cannot find my notes about that... I only remember that the conclusion was that it should be possible to have a battery working during 3 or 4 hours... (with mid-range batteries according to the 2,5" format )

If any of you have some ideas or tpis about where to find such batteries, you're welcome !

alamin

PS : I know this subject has already been discussed here viewtopic.php?t=63870&highlight=battery and somewhere else, but not putting a battery in the hard disk bay.
By Diggers Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:11 pm
if the PSU outputs +12V, -12V, and +5V, the board may need AC current, or why the +12 and -12? I am no expert but have made quite a lot of li-ion battery packs and converted many outboard effects etc to run on batteries. I fried some, but v few :) Took the board out of a sherman filterbank and had it studied by a maplins tech - he showed me what a bridge rectifier looks like and how to tell if a board needs AC current after the transformer or not (that one did).. I still run some gear (eg MAM filters) which require AC throughout the circuit on my li-on battery packs, using a v portable inverter (Belkin "AC Anywhere" model F5L071) - this is rated 200w but that seems impossible and specs are often v exaggerated here in Asia - my guess is it can give about 2 or 3 amps... so it depends what power draw the MPC1000 requires.. no time to research at the mo but v interested as I need to run on batteries and dont want to buy the MPC 500 :roll:

- a quick look at the manual shows the MPC1000 draws 19 watts - thats about a quarter of a lightbulb.. not much.. quick calc suggests it needs about 1.6amps.. so I guess a pack made of 3 standard 2400ma li-on cells (each about the size of a AA cell) giving nearly 12volts into that little invertor would run the MPC1000 for an hour or two.. three such packs would give enough hours use.. total weight for the batteries and invertor only about 1kg.. need a special charger for the li-ons also - about another 0.5kg.. I will post back if I get round to doing this.. looks good to me
By inflict3 Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:50 pm
someone pulled this off in another thread, i was gonna do it as well, but i picked up my 1000 and compared it to the weight of my 500 and thought about how heavy it would be with a battery in it while it would be in a back pack on my back and then i changed my mind, besides, i love my 500, i mean have you guys seen my 500??!! look in the custom 500 thread, it is pimpin!! :smoker:
By konc3pt Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:29 pm
Diggers wrote:if the PSU outputs +12V, -12V, and +5V, the board may need AC current, or why the +12 and -12? I am no expert but have made quite a lot of li-ion battery packs and converted many outboard effects etc to run on batteries. I fried some, but v few :) Took the board out of a sherman filterbank and had it studied by a maplins tech - he showed me what a bridge rectifier looks like and how to tell if a board needs AC current after the transformer or not (that one did).. I still run some gear (eg MAM filters) which require AC throughout the circuit on my li-on battery packs, using a v portable inverter (Belkin "AC Anywhere" model F5L071) - this is rated 200w but that seems impossible and specs are often v exaggerated here in Asia - my guess is it can give about 2 or 3 amps... so it depends what power draw the MPC1000 requires.. no time to research at the mo but v interested as I need to run on batteries and dont want to buy the MPC 500 :roll:

- a quick look at the manual shows the MPC1000 draws 19 watts - thats about a quarter of a lightbulb.. not much.. quick calc suggests it needs about 1.6amps.. so I guess a pack made of 3 standard 2400ma li-on cells (each about the size of a AA cell) giving nearly 12volts into that little invertor would run the MPC1000 for an hour or two.. three such packs would give enough hours use.. total weight for the batteries and invertor only about 1kg.. need a special charger for the li-ons also - about another 0.5kg.. I will post back if I get round to doing this.. looks good to me

sounds like you know your battery packs :nod: ....2400ma is what my phone use, bit crazy to think mpc 1000 can run on 3 of these for couple hours
By mQueue Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:00 pm
Diggers wrote:if the PSU outputs +12V, -12V, and +5V, the board may need AC current, or why the +12 and -12? I am no expert but have made quite a lot of li-ion battery packs and converted many outboard effects etc to run on batteries. I fried some, but v few :) Took the board out of a sherman filterbank and had it studied by a maplins tech - he showed me what a bridge rectifier looks like and how to tell if a board needs AC current after the transformer or not (that one did).. I still run some gear (eg MAM filters) which require AC throughout the circuit on my li-on battery packs, using a v portable inverter (Belkin "AC Anywhere" model F5L071) - this is rated 200w but that seems impossible and specs are often v exaggerated here in Asia - my guess is it can give about 2 or 3 amps... so it depends what power draw the MPC1000 requires.. no time to research at the mo but v interested as I need to run on batteries and dont want to buy the MPC 500 :roll:

You have resurrected this thread...the PSU outputs +12v and -12v for the D/A conversion and driving audio output. Everything else runs off the 5v. Everything is DC.

I am not so good with batteries, but have found an 8000mah cell will run it for about 5 hours. I've tried wiring batteries in parallel it yields the same run time- again not so good with batteries. The 19 watts is at full draw, ie with volume cranked and 2.5" hard drive spinning.
By konc3pt Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:57 pm
mQueue wrote: The 19 watts is at full draw, ie with volume cranked and 2.5" hard drive spinning.

I bet you would save little juice by going solid state(no mechanical moving parts=less power) or just CF card :wink:
By LynoJones Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:20 pm
Hello all, new to the forum so I’ll get to the point :) I want to be able to busk with my mpc 1000. Seems you all have a far better grasp on all this tech malarkey than I do so I was wondering if there are any battery packs that can be used externally to power the MPC1000 and a speaker/amplifier? And if you can’t think of anything then what should I look for when searching for such a thing.

I know there is another thread or 5 for this subject but all of you here seem to understand how the thing is powered on a far more advanced level and, while I’m pretty darn good when it comes to playing the thing (no boast haha) I’m kind of a dullard when it comes to the maths and tech of the thing so any and all help is greaaaaatly appreciated
Cheers guys
By Ill-Green Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:59 pm
Nowadays there are plenty of battery powered solutions thanks to the myriads of laptops and other devices.

They are useful for camping or live stage work. Usually called battery-powered generators, but I have seen small and sleek versions that can power a fan and a TV. I had one from Acer during the hurricanes 2 years ago. Each charge lasted 8 to 12 hours depending on what type of electronics you are using. Solid state will get you lots of battery time but stuff like fans or motorized electronics will take a toll.

Check your local computer stores or camping stores.