Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Lampdog Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:39 am
Ill green, my ninja.
By S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:27 pm
This should`ve BEEN stickied.Ill Green has put in so much work,his posts are all over google giving help to people regarding the 500.Props.
By inflict3 Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:38 am
bringing the **** 500 back from the dead. tellin all u muhfukaz whats up in here, thought the 500 was a toy until alai dropped the newer controller mpcs and the ghey ass mpcfly, now seeing what the real toy is, all these new cats up on these new mpcs churning out weird wack beats, getting mad props, auto chopping.. man, this 500 is training my ears to chop.. :fku:
By Ill-Green Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:14 am
8) words up the bird's ass B!!

Its just as powerful as any MPC, all it needed was a few updates and corrections with the engineering of the OS. Which was not much but much needed.

Also, I'm sick of the cats that say "Its only good for Boom Bap." Its great for Boom Bap but its capable of even odd Jazz signatures and any genre can be done. Its just a sampler with a world renown sequencer in it. Its small but as mentioned, its a 3000 on steroids and missing a left arm.
By Lampdog Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:28 am
Ill-Green wrote: I'm sick of the cats that say "Its only good for Boom Bap

:nod:
By MeSoHordey Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:33 am
Lots of love for the 500. I learned on it at a time when spending $500 for a piece of hardware seemed insane to me. It took a few years but I know the 500 like the back of my hand now. I was always sort of self-conscious about rocking the 500 but a few cats on here, including ill and others, always remind me how powerful the machine is.

Last year I brought my 500 to Sydney Australia and rocked out in Hyde Park for a few hours with a bottle of hooch making beats. It truly is a portable beast.
By inflict3 Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:23 am
hella love, hella love!!!
By Ill-Green Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:19 am
Aww man :? Can't edit my initial post. I wanted to edit that for sample looping, you have to set the sample to Note On in Program Mode. And that if you recording a sequence with samples looping, they will mysteriously turn off after the 30th bar. . . Thats if you record like me by setting the bars to 99 and record like a tape recorder :-D

**** Time Correct and **** that metronome shit :smoker:

Come grasshopper, choose life and death.
By ThobRom Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:42 pm
"STOP LONG CONTINUOUS PLAYING SAMPLES - Hold SHIFT and hit STOP."

I always just hit stop twice.
But then that resulted in me pretty much destroying my stop button and having to rig it back together with slivers of duct tape Road Warrior style.

But great list.
One cool thing about the wonkyness and arguably unfinished state of the 500 OS is that its got a few glitchy tricks that the MPC renaissance doesn't do.
By Ill-Green Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:28 am
New discovery!!

Normalizing sections of a sample.

Lets say you sampled a drum break, the kicks are perfect but that snare is too low.

Simply adjust the start and end points, capturing only the snare, then go to Edit and select Normalize. Then readjust the start and end points again to normalize the other snares in the break and set the sample back to its original length afterward.

Now when you play the break, the kicks will be untouched and the snares will crack like shattered spines at every turn.

:smoker: :nod: :smoker:
By inflict3 Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:53 am
Ill-Green wrote:New discovery!!

Normalizing sections of a sample.

Lets say you sampled a drum break, the kicks are perfect but that snare is too low.

Simply adjust the start and end points, capturing only the snare, then go to Edit and select Normalize. Then readjust the start and end points again to normalize the other snares in the break and set the sample back to its original length afterward.

Now when you play the break, the kicks will be untouched and the snares will crack like shattered spines at every turn.

:smoker: :nod: :smoker:

No way!! I'm gonna have to check this one out!!! nice find homie!!!