Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By sfere1 Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:32 am
For the life of me I still can't understand why people using the Cubendo/Ren combination have not lost their minds on this one. I'm using cubase 7 and there is STILL absolutely no way to sample using the ren as a vsti!!!! I mean we're on 1.5 already and I'm kind of still shocked. At least with Fxpansion's Geist they provided a plug in called spitter which you inserted in an input track as an insert and then Geist would pick this up. Even with maschine you can insert an instance on an input track in cubase as maschinefx and sample. What gives here? I've complained on the Akai forum and just got told to do a chokemyworkflow work-around. Jah....help a brotha out!

thanks
Dennis Ferrer
http://www.objektivity.com
Last edited by sfere1 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Nubian Mindz Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:47 am
Is this really THE mighty Dennis Ferrer???
It's an honour to be in the same company if it is!!!

And on your point, yes it would be great if you could sample within the Ren when loaded as a VSTi however, there is a 'sort of' workaround which I use.

I'm using Reaper and Cubase 5 and if I have something playing from those DAW's that I want to sample I just load up the MPC software alongside the DAW and sample directly into the Ren. I've never tried this while having the Ren loaded up as a vsti on either program so this might not work in that regard but for everything else it's fine.

Keep suggesting this feature though and who knows what might pop up in one of the future updates.

And keep up the great work :nod:
By sfere1 Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:30 pm
Hey Nubian Mindz...thanks for the kudos!!
In regards to the post...yeah you see? all workarounds that kill my workflow.
I just want to breakout my secret squirrel stash of vinyl to sample and do it on the fly while working on the track. sampling, rendering, running things out of seperate outs from the Ren vsti and using external fx's as inserts in their path within Cubase's mixer. You can't do that if you use it standalone...and it's such a PITA to record a file then go into the audio pool and blah blah blah. It's just :WTF: :WTF: :WTF: :WTF: :WTF: lol

and no one will answer me from akai with a proper answer!
A simple "....yeah we f**ked up that one...dunno how we missed it..but we'll make sure it'll be coming soon" would be suffice. But acting like the issue doesn't exist for a bunch of us who are like huh? is kind of pissin' us off. If you want me to extoll the good virtues of a professional product made to be used in a professional setting then shouldn't this product cover the most basic professional necessity? Especially since it's software based? We're not talking about a major hardware revision....we're talking subroutines, calls....new code. This is Cubase/Nuendo here...not exactly an unknown entity and red headed step child of the DAW community but a major player! I'm just sayin....
the competition is beginning to look a bit more interesting...unfortunately

Dennis Ferrer
By dazastah Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:28 pm
I got it working in reaper ..

It was funny the way i did it though..
I havent used cubase for a while now.
i'm pretty sure you gotta set the input for that track the vsti is on to a audio input..(if only using ren as audio interface in cubase then it would be ren 1+2 )
And make sure the track is armed .
This is how it works in reaper...
By sfere1 Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:42 pm
dazastah wrote:I got it working in reaper ..

i'm pretty sure you gotta set the input for that track the vsti is on to a audio input..(if only using ren as audio interface in cubase then it would be ren 1+2 )

That's the thing...I don't want to set my ren as the audio interface. I already have 2 IZ ADA's! what's the point in Akai forcing me into doing that? Then i would have to monitor and sample off the ren. Defeating the whole purpose of using superior conversion. Sampling should be allowed regardless of the choice of interface. Especially since there are no obvious benefits for doing so in the ren! More so after the myth of vintage mode being tied to hardware was exposed to being done with plug ins.

See what I mean?....ya'll hear the crickets in here right now?....lol

Dennis Ferrer
By MeSoHordey Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:50 am
No worries. Someone special will be here soon to tell you that it's all right, this is the best MPC ever made and you're just using it wrong! :lol:

Seriously though. There are quite a few things seriously wrong with this "pro-level" solution from Akai.
By dazastah Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:14 am
I haven't tried it with another interface so i cant tell you if it works for sure,
And i'm using reaper aswell..

But when i meant this
dazastah wrote:i'm pretty sure you gotta set the input for that track the vsti is on to a audio input..(if only using ren as audio interface in cubase then it would be ren 1+2 )

I made the assumption your using the ren's interface
Lets assume your using your interface in cubase,
Make sure the inputs are assigned on the track that the ren vst plug is on.
Arm that cubase track ..
Then try the sampling record inside the plugin ...
By sfere1 Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:56 am
hey dazastah
it doesnt work. In cubase you cannot assign an input into a vsti track instantiated from the vsti instrument rack. The weird thing though is that when you use ren as an interface the input signal gets through to the ren. its as if they hijack the signal before it gets to cubase. weird

df
By Nubian Mindz Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:48 am
dazastah wrote:I got it working in reaper ..

I'm going to try this in the studio today. I tried what Dennis is talking about in Cubase and I couldn't get it to work right. The MPC can resample itself but won't sample what's coming out of Cubase if it is loaded up as a vsti.
By Nubian Mindz Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:56 am
dazastah wrote:I haven't tried it with another interface so i cant tell you if it works for sure,
And i'm using reaper aswell..

But when i meant this
dazastah wrote:i'm pretty sure you gotta set the input for that track the vsti is on to a audio input..(if only using ren as audio interface in cubase then it would be ren 1+2 )

I made the assumption your using the ren's interface
Lets assume your using your interface in cubase,
Make sure the inputs are assigned on the track that the ren vst plug is on.
Arm that cubase track ..
Then try the sampling record inside the plugin ...

Dazastah-I tried that and wasn't able to get the Ren to sample the Reaper output without creating a feedback loop and whenever I turned off 'Monitoring' on the MPC channel in Reaper the incoming signal into the Ren plug in would cut off but would also stop the feedback loop.

The Ren would resample itself with no issue, wether standalone or as a plug in, but I haven't been able to have it sample itself and any plug ins added in a DAW. Which brings us back to the original point made by Dennis.

However, sampling any DAW with the MPC loaded up in standalone mode is a breeze you just can't have the MPC loaded up within the DAW.

Not that helps much with the original issue :lol:
By dazastah Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:30 pm
sfere1 wrote:hey dazastah
it doesnt work. In cubase you cannot assign an input into a vsti track instantiated from the vsti instrument rack. The weird thing though is that when you use ren as an interface the input signal gets through to the ren. its as if they hijack the signal before it gets to cubase. weird

df

Of course I forgot that cubase forces track type I/o ... Unfortunately a limitation of cubase
You could trick cubase by limiting the vst input connections of yr interface to the ones you use to sample in with.. As the ren soft plug will most def default to input/connections 1+2 ..
Nubian Mindz wrote:The Ren would resample itself with no issue, wether standalone or as a plug in, but I haven't been able to have it sample itself and any plug ins added in a DAW. Which brings us back to the original point made by Dennis.

However, sampling any DAW with the MPC loaded up in standalone mode is a breeze you just can't have the MPC loaded up within the DAW.

Not that helps much with the original issue :lol:

That's a diff routing thing your tryin to do. I think sfere1 just wants to sample externally through his better interface into ren soft when's its a plug in.

Where you would like to resample internally with plug ins through daw.. But feedback into the ren again.. To resequence.. Inside ren..
By fredb Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:13 am
I didn't try it as I use the Ren in standalone, sorry if it's just noise.

Depending on your interface, maybe you can connect your interface to the Ren with S/PDIF, route the sound to this alternate output in Cubase and sample the digital input on MPC…
Just make sure your monitoring outputs and the S/PDIF out are not the same.

Edit:
Ok, this was stupid and doubly so.
AFAICT, you can't sample the S/PDIF input of the Ren even in standalone (wtf?).
The Audio tab is not in the plugin version…
By sfere1 Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:00 pm
yup nice try though Fredb...I'm glad i'm not the only one Nubian Mindz. dazastah...no matter what it doesn't work. Which brings me right back around to....

ALL I HEAR IS F**KIN' CRICKETS! :WTF: :WTF: :WTF:
:popcorn:
By Nubian Mindz Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:03 pm
There is a way around this....sort of...and I don't recommend you do this but here goes:

Acquire an MPC Element and use this as your vst within Cubase. Have it routed through your hi-end ad/da and then load the MPC Ren in standalone mode alongside Cubase and sample the results directly into the Ren.

I haven't tried this nor have I got an Element to hand so I can't verify it works but it just popped in my head today and I thought I'd share it :)