Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By mr_debauch Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:43 pm
There are compatibility issues with some samplers. Akai samplers and the Ensoniq ASR-X cannot find SCSI2SD on the SCSI bus. I have purchased an Akai sampler and expect to resolve this issue in the near future.

SCSI2SD does work well with the Roland JS-30 sampler.

that was on this page:

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD_FAQ

and further down the page:

Compatibility

Tested with Linux (current), Apple Macintosh System 7.5.3 on LC-III, and LC-475 hardware.

Users have reported success on these systems:

Mac II running System 6.0.8
Mac SE/30
Roland JS-30 Sampler
Akai S3200 Sampler
EMU Emulator E4X with EOS 3.00b

There are compatibility problems with the following samplers. I have acquired an Akai sampler and expect to resolve the problems in the near future.

Ensoniq ASR-X
Akai MPC3000
By distortedtekno Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:59 pm
I didn't see anything about the MPC2000 either. Maybe the page was revised. Either way, this is good news. I wouldn't mind trying it with an s3200 if I had one.
By Harmoncj Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:26 pm
Wal Martian wrote:It would work on a 2000XL but not the classic, I'm guessing.

I don't think anyone will bother installing this new drive on an XL. The process is something like this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67154 soldering required.
By MPCHunter Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:56 am
Harmoncj wrote:

I don't think anyone will bother installing this new drive on an XL. The process is something like this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67154 soldering required.

The link you posted is for a MPC 2000 not the MPC 2000XL. There is no internal SCSI port inside the MPC 2000 so those modifications have to be made.

The MPC 2000XL already has a SCSI connector so assuming the firmware on the SCSI2SD is compatible with the 2KXL, this SCSI device would plug directly into that connector.
By teevee Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:01 pm
I see potential in this unit, because the creator made It, so the source code can be updated!

Compared to many other card options, which most of the time has fixed code!
By Wal Martian Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:41 pm
MPCHunter wrote:
Harmoncj wrote:

The link you posted is for a MPC 2000 not the MPC 2000XL. There is no internal SCSI port inside the MPC 2000 so those modifications have to be made.

The MPC 2000XL already has a SCSI connector so assuming the firmware on the SCSI2SD is compatible with the 2KXL, this SCSI device would plug directly into that connector.

Soldering is not required if you take the external SCSI and make it internal. You will have to route a ribbon cable into the case, either between the beige outer case and the back panel, or by cutting a hole in the back panel.
By Harmoncj Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:24 pm
Wal Martian wrote:
MPCHunter wrote:The link you posted is for a MPC 2000 not the MPC 2000XL. There is no internal SCSI port inside the MPC 2000 so those modifications have to be made.

Soldering is not required if you take the external SCSI and make it internal. You will have to route a ribbon cable into the case, either between the beige outer case and the back panel, or by cutting a hole in the back panel.

:oops: I stand corrected, thanks for clarifying that I was unaware of all these options.
By JVC Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:24 pm
SCSI2SD, while it is great project, is cannot be used as a substitute of Microtech SCSI CF reader.
This is from their Wiki page:
Emulates a non-removable hard drive for maximum compatibility.

it means that SCSI2SD is non-hot swappable. It might be able to work as a removable device in the future, but it is not mentioned on the Wiki page.

Also, it is not clear how SCSI2SD would store data in SD card. It may be only readable with SCSI2SD; it may not be easy to transfer data on the SD card to PC / Mac.

It would be nice if some one make Microtech SCSI CF reader clone...
By katzenjammer Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:09 am
Has anybody actually got aSCSI2SD to actually work with an MPC 2000 classic? I bought one and a DB25 to scsi-50 pin converter to plug into the back of my 2K classic and... no joy.
By distortedtekno Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:08 am
katzenjammer wrote:Has anybody actually got aSCSI2SD to actually work with an MPC 2000 classic? I bought one and a DB25 to scsi-50 pin converter to plug into the back of my 2K classic and... no joy.

Did you connect power to the SCSI2SD?
By richie Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:13 am
It is supposed to be able to be run off the bus power, not requiring 5v. But I don't know how this would differ in an external configuration unless its terminated.