Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
ByMPCHolland053 Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:54 am
Hello, I am really wondering, who of you sell their beats? Or make money of it otherwise??
how did u get it going, and what should one do, if they want the same, beside having talent and making good music....

and ehm... :oops: could You perhaps help Me? :shock: :o
Last edited by MPCHolland053 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ByMPCHolland053 Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:06 pm
That would Be a Dream.....i even recently made something, that i could See being used in a highspeed chase scene in a movie....but maybe It's Just Me, monsta could u send This for maybe someone who could/would Be interested? I make Music for over 20 years now, and i want get more out of It then i get out of It now....

By Ill-Green Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:03 pm
Gotta hit up the major blog sites featuring the style of music you do. The more traffic they get, the more traffic you get. Try hitting them up once every 6 months until you finally featured.

Have a site where people can stream it and download later, because downloading upfront is outdated and most times blogs won't bother. I direct my music to bandcamp because, I get heard and profit from there.
ByMPCHolland053 Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:10 pm
Thank you for your interest in Megatrax. Unfortunately, we are not accepting materials at this time. We wish you the best, though

:o
By Ian Canefire Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:15 pm
Playing in a band is a bit different than making beats for sale. We get money from shows.

For beats you will need to consider the end goal. If you are talking just straight sales then from your truck, or at a booth at festivals on cd's and tapes or on bandcamp or from your website is one way.

If you want it played in a commercial then you need an agent, to liase between you and the movie industry. Your music needs to be licensed, and have publishing, and samples cleared.

As a music industry professional I see many people who do not have the legal side down, or who do not have an appreciation for the proper way of doing things. Like making contacts and taking a business approach to the sale of your product. This is the more lucrative route going long term.

However music is cheap nowadays, so I am not sure if street selling is going to make you big money unless you are a real hustler.

Peace
Ian

PS there is a website that is super secret where you can upload music or entire concept albums and they are listened to by the top producers and rappers and they actually buy your productions if they like it. You don't get the credit though. Just the big check and a non disclosure contract. No guarantee you will be selected either. Again you need contacts to get into that circle with the producers in the know. Don't ask me about the name of the site.
ByMPCHolland053 Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:11 pm
Thats Too bad.....
I"m not restricted by use of sample, I can make music without samples, or restricted by genres and styles, but its hard finding my way...guess u need luck the right connections and positive attention...thanks for so far though
well... I keep goin"
1 love pz
By Mike Boogie Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:43 pm
Ian Canefire wrote:PS there is a website that is super secret where you can upload music or entire concept albums and they are listened to by the top producers and rappers and they actually buy your productions if they like it. You don't get the credit though. Just the big check and a non disclosure contract. No guarantee you will be selected either. Again you need contacts to get into that circle with the producers in the know. Don't ask me about the name of the site.

Ian, I have a few friends that have made some serious dough by "ghost producing", one of my partners got a nasty 6-figure check by going that route. He was able to tell me who he sold them to, but the NDA won't allow him to say if they were released or not.
The guy he sold 'em to makes way more money off of headphones anyway! :wink:
By inflict3 Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:00 pm
Ian Canefire wrote:Don't ask me about the name of the site.

:roll:
By Ian Canefire Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:33 pm
@ inflict3, I really do not know the name of it. I have heard it spoken about in passing but I never cared enough to remember the name because that is not my bag.

If I can get the name then I am sure that an in depth web search will probably get you that info as well. Try.

Peace
Ian
By inflict3 Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:27 pm
Ian Canefire wrote:@ inflict3, I really do not know the name of it. I have heard it spoken about in passing but I never cared enough to remember the name because that is not my bag.

If I can get the name then I am sure that an in depth web search will probably get you that info as well. Try.

Peace
Ian

i was just messin around with ya man..lol