Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By helloitsmeagain Tue May 26, 2015 3:18 am
mr_debauch wrote:fan blades are curved (concave sort of) if you are looking at the inside edge of the curve, the fan is blowing towards you...

In this photo... you can see we are looking at the outer edge of the curve (the blades are curved inward) so the fan is blowing away from our perspective.

this is in case you need to change one again... and seeing that they use DC motors... make sure the negative and positive wires or the connector is on the right way around so the airflow goes in the direction described above...

About the SSDs... so now that it's been a bit of time that 4000 users have been on SSD drives... how is the data holding up? everything still running well on the drive? No errors or corruption.. fragmentation etc? some early ssd drives had some issues.

Noctua explain it all on this page: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs ... =12&lng=en

"How can I find out the direction of airflow and sense of rotation?
When looking at the fan so that the circular sticker with the Noctua logo is facing you, the direction of airflow is towards you and the sense of rotation is clockwise: "
By helloitsmeagain Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:06 pm
Got my drive in and it works, no problems. Thanks to all who went before me and posted the results. Only thing is... the cable that slots into the drive is way short. I can't mount the drive in the centre of the old mounting, it won't reach. So i put it in it's new case and left it lying there. Guess I can never move the MPC now... Good thing it's a studio machine.
By JUKE 179r Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:16 pm
helloitsmeagain wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:fan blades are curved (concave sort of) if you are looking at the inside edge of the curve, the fan is blowing towards you...

In this photo... you can see we are looking at the outer edge of the curve (the blades are curved inward) so the fan is blowing away from our perspective.

this is in case you need to change one again... and seeing that they use DC motors... make sure the negative and positive wires or the connector is on the right way around so the airflow goes in the direction described above...

Noctua explain it all on this page: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs ... =12&lng=en

"How can I find out the direction of airflow and sense of rotation?
When looking at the fan so that the circular sticker with the Noctua logo is facing you, the direction of airflow is towards you and the sense of rotation is clockwise: "

Also I 've seen when dealing with Desktop computers, the sides of the fan usually has a an arrow that points the direction of air flow and the rotation of the fan.
By dryad-66 Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:21 pm
helloitsmeagain wrote:Got my drive in and it works, no problems. Thanks to all who went before me and posted the results. Only thing is... the cable that slots into the drive is way short. I can't mount the drive in the centre of the old mounting, it won't reach. So i put it in it's new case and left it lying there. Guess I can never move the MPC now... Good thing it's a studio machine.

Stik it down with some flexible silicon.Make sure not to let it get into any electronics tho and that air can flow around.
By JUKE 179r Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:23 pm
I used strips of velcro to hold my HD in place inside my 2000XL.
By WOEBOT Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:05 pm
when you install an SSD when it's all plugged in and you switch the machine on - will it start?

the OS from what i remember from my mpc 2500 is not installed on the hard drive...?

presumably i'll be able to format the drive from within the MPC once it is switched on?

:hmmm:
By FUBARd Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:34 pm
Not since the original MPC2000/3000s have you needed an OS disk to boot. XL & up have it in flash. Adding an HD or SSD would be like plugging in a USB thumb drive or CD.
By WOEBOT Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:36 pm
tried and failed to get this working with an ssd and kit from maplins

can anyone recommend a current failsafe single combined option that would work? thats to say a new ssd drive with built in ide?

failing that a kit and ssd drive that they know works in the mpc 4000.

for the UK if possible. :idea:

many thanks.
By WOEBOT Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:36 pm
yes it did have a switch but it categorically didnt work. not the right arrangement of male to female, not the correct amount of pins and no adaptor seemed to be able to bridge the gap. in the end when i got a seemingly correct connection it wouldnt mount.

do you have a suggestion of a current combination which works? :hmmm:
By Horseclick Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:18 am
from the product description

"Use your IDE HDD on a SATA motherboard"

you want to do the opposite,

i have some converters incoming from various sources that im waiting on will update the thread when i find a working solution myself .
By vout Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:35 pm
You need to find a bi-directional sata/ide converter - very cheap on ebay, This one should be ok - item no 131319424443

I've been using one with a 64GB SSD for a year no problem in my 4k