Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Wallace Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:45 am
Hey, I'm looking to chat with other 2kxl users who are making deep house with their machines.

I'm guessing most peeps in here are making hip hop, which is tight, I love me some quest et al. A lot of the tips and what not are interchangeable I'm sure, but if there are other users making house please make yourself known. We can use this thread to talk shop etc pertaining to deep house and the like.
By kingston ultra Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:50 am
Mad for the deep house
(love golden era hip hop... all my roots)

Im using Emu sp12 and mpc2000 classic combo!
Traded up an XL for the classic!!! and never looked back
I became extremely fond of the limitations the sp12 brought to the table
Single floppy beats
By JVC Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:23 pm
I love house music (I don't know much about subcategories of house music), and I do own XL.
Kerri Chandler, Mr. Fingers, Marshall Jefferson, Frankie Knuckles (R.I.P), Larry Levan (R.I.P), the list goes on...
I believe that a lot of house classics were created with MPCs.
By tapedeck Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:08 pm
velocity->amp 0%
velocity->filter 100%
filter->10%
16 levels velocity
have fun
By hok-2 Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:39 pm
I dig a bit of Hard House
I don't even know how 'Hard' house is defined but I know when I hear it becouse it reminds me of the house partys in Nottingham with mattresses against the windows and steam coming out.

I'd also like some tips on how to make it.
One thing I have noticed is how bass heavy the kick drum is.
Almost pure bass.
Heres one of my attemps at House.
Bit commercial sounding
That's with the S3000 for synth noises.
Just doing on a Mpc2000 makes it all a lot grimeyer but I can't find any of them.
https://soundcloud.com/flamprider/nob-fiddle
By Wallace Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:10 am
tapedeck wrote:velocity->amp 0%
velocity->filter 100%
filter->10%
16 levels velocity
have fun

Thanks, will try this weekend. Any particular sounds intended? Drums or chord stabs?
By Wallace Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:19 am
Looks like we got some house peeps up in here, that's cool!

My favs are KC, Theo, MCDE, Moodyman of course, Dennis Ferrer's older jams, all that sampled stuff, deep and or soulful, 90s jackin' style with the filtered loops. All good.

I've been putting together some pretty tight grooves no my xl with very little exp. Great machine to just pick up and work shit out.
I've been doing all the obvious things like:

- sampling chords from old records
- sampling my synths (juno and dx7)
- taking 1 bar samples and filtering down to about 10 for the bassline
- splitting samples into mono sounds and panning for spread

I'm really missing reverb and delay (coming from software) but I love the way the mpc bounces down the sounds. I can get a lovely mix just within the XL if I pick the right sounds.

If anyone has some tips, post them in here. Any tips for using song mode to arrange or more house-centric things?
By Wallace Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:21 am
kingston ultra wrote:Mad for the deep house
(love golden era hip hop... all my roots)

Im using Emu sp12 and mpc2000 classic combo!
Traded up an XL for the classic!!! and never looked back
I became extremely fond of the limitations the sp12 brought to the table
Single floppy beats

I'm using ZIP100 and still on my first disk haha. 100MB really is a lot of space for samples.
By dcook79 Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:29 pm
love moodymann's quote from Redbull Academy few years back...

"A lot of people you go home you **** your wife, a lot of people go home, you cut your grass. I go home and I **** that **** MPC all **** night."
By tapedeck Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:30 pm
Wallace wrote:
velocity->filter 100%
filter->10%
16 levels velocity
have fun

Thanks, will try this weekend. Any particular sounds intended? Drums or chord stabs?

what i generally use it for is short phrases...whether chord stabs, melodic phrases, drum phrases...any sample with some length to it. just a good way to fake that continuous filter sweep but forcing you to stick to the mpc limitation of the filter only changing on a new note hit.
another trick to get a filter sweep is to use the envelopes on the filter set to pretty long.
By Wallace Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:54 pm
tapedeck wrote:
Wallace wrote:
velocity->filter 100%
filter->10%
16 levels velocity
have fun

what i generally use it for is short phrases...whether chord stabs, melodic phrases, drum phrases...any sample with some length to it. just a good way to fake that continuous filter sweep but forcing you to stick to the mpc limitation of the filter only changing on a new note hit.
another trick to get a filter sweep is to use the envelopes on the filter set to pretty long.

Thanks for the knowledge. Yes working within the limits of the mpc does create some happy accidents. The biggest benefit for me has been forcing myself to select better sounds. With logic I would just pick any sound and use effects to make them work, which always had mixed results. With the MPC, I'm thinking more about the sounds I start with and how they work together because besides filter, velocity and a basic envelope there isn't much else to use.