Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By WOEBOT Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:29 pm
nah. that adapter didn't work.

a) adapter not compatible with the female plug which chains from the CD player (and i tried IDE female to female adapters in the past and they don't work so im not going down that route again)

b) so i bypassed the CD player and plugged it right into the board. did seem to be powered up ok (red LED was on) but when i fired up the mpc i couldn't mount or reformat the SSD.

c) tried both pf the serial ATA ports on the bidirectional adaptor and neither worked (though one showed the red LED when plugged in and the other didn't)

just grateful i didn't damage the 4000 in the process. but at $3 (used an existing - fully functioning SSD) not really bothered. a shame though.
By vout Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:39 pm
Hi WOEBOT,

Sorry - it looks like I've given you wrong information. I opened up my 4000 to check and found it was a different interface I had used. It is a RXD-629A7-7 PATA to SATA converter and the drive I am using is a Sandisk 64GB SDSA5AK-064G. This is quite an old, slow ssd but this combo does work perfectly in my 4000. The interface is connected after the CD drive and set to master.

I can't find that interface on ebay, but this one - item 181849571545 - looks identical so hopefully it should work. Also, It's possible that the SSD you are using is just not compatible with the 4000.

Cheers, vout
By cnwayland Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:01 am
Just to add on to this continuing thread:

I just purchased my first 4k and the HDD died while dumping the previous owner's samples off. I purchased a Kingston 120gb SSD with the Kingwin SATA to IDE Bridge Board ADP-06 and the bridge board seems to not be doing anything. I tried both 12v molex power connectors from the HDD and CD position and the Bridge LED doesn't light up in either position.

I am thinking (hoping..sort of?) I got a bad SATA/IDE bridge from Amazon and have ordered a replacement as well as the HDE bridge w/ slave/master jumper that others have mentioned in past-posts.

I'll keep the thread updated with my findings.

~C
By cnwayland Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:38 am
One more thing...
vout wrote:Hi WOEBOT,

Also, It's possible that the SSD you are using is just not compatible with the 4000.

Have there been reports of certain SSDs not working with the 4000?

I'm thinking that the LED showing power on the Kingwin bridge should still light up regardless of the SSD.
By vout Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:02 pm
cnwayland wrote:Have there been reports of certain SSDs not working with the 4000?

Nothing specific that I'm aware of, it's just a possibility given that the 4000 was not designed for SATA or SSD's.

It might be worthwhile checking these PATA/SATA interfaces with a regular drive first to ensure that the interface works, in fact why not just use a laptop drive? - modern 2.5" sata mechanical drives are almost silent and probably more reliable. I've had very few mechanical hard drive failures, usually after many years of use, but I have had two brand new SSD's die on me within months, also SSD error rates are higher in my experience. And dont forget the 'no spin' option - you can park the HD after loading all your samples so it is as silent as an SSD.
By WOEBOT Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:58 pm
hey vout

that adaptor was perfect. thank you so much.

however i also needed to use a crucial ssd as opposed to a sandisk one. the crucial one is a couple of years old.

i'm certain that the adaptor was key though because previously i didnt have the ability to format.

third time lucky!
By CharlesRandolph Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:00 am
WOEBOT wrote:hey vout

however i also needed to use a crucial ssd as opposed to a sandisk one. the crucial one is a couple of years old.

i'm certain that the adaptor was key though because previously i didnt have the ability to format.

third time lucky!

What hard drive and What adapter did you buy? Please post a direct link to the ssd and pata/sata adapter.
By WOEBOT Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:23 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
WOEBOT wrote:hey vout

third time lucky!

What hard drive and What adapter did you buy? Please post a direct link to the ssd and pata/sata adapter.

it is this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181849571545? ... 26_rdc%3D1

"PATA IDE TO SATA Converter Adapter Plug&Play 7+15 Pin 3.5/2.5 SATA HDD DVD GA"

and i used this hard drive:

more images of the correct ide adaptor:

By Horseclick Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:41 pm

while my mpc is open i will attempt to install a new drive,

i got the delock sata die cable which has master slave, cable select, and another jumper option

but how are you guys mounting the ssd's in the 4k?

any specific mounts that work as the latest picture in this thread , the guys has his taped down......
By Horseclick Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:17 pm
so are you saying i need to tape the bracket into the mpc, is there not nothing that will screw in ?

you see the bottom bracket of this install,

im looking for something that wiull screw in, anything that will do that?

as most of the 2.5 to 3.5 adapters i seen are side mounting not bottom mount
By JUKE 179r Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:25 pm
Try velcro tape. :nod:
That's what I use to mount my HDD inside my MPC2000XL.