Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Horseclick Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:24 pm
Renski wrote:Horseclick,
The combination of the .cfg file along with the MPC 1.72 .hfe image file you provided worked and I've got a successful boot-up! Now to figure out how to transfer and save files between PC and MPC.

I'll post all the particulars soon. Thanks a lot for sticking with me through all of this.

no problem glad we have that sorted now.

what you trying to achieve and i'll try and help you?
By Renski Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:19 pm
Thanks Horseclick,
Correct me if I'm wrong: I should create empty virtual dummy disks onto my USB stick (e.g. DSKA0005, DSKA0006) and use them to save data from my MPC.? Correct?

By the way, I'd like to confirm a lot of those particular little things that made the difference and allowed me to boot the MPC 2000 from the Gotek Floppy Emulator SFR1M44-U100K:

1. Install the ribbon upside-down, with guide peg facing upward
2. Jumper installed onto the setting farthest away from the power plug, the "M0" setting
3. My SanDisk Micro 512 USB stick was never recognized by the Gotek; only my Microcenter brand 4Gb worked, as well as my various SanDisk Cruzer 2 Gb, 4Gb, and 16 Gb USB sticks worked. All were formatted as FAT 32.
4. It is possible, perhaps because of the latest HxC software, to place other MPC data onto the USB stick along with the MPC O.S. file; in other words, the O.S. file did not have to be the sole virtual floppy image on the USB stick since you can use the left/right buttons on the Gotek to scroll through the virtual floppies.

I'll add to and/or correct later if necessary. Again, many, many thanks to Horseclick for most of these suggestions and for all of the help he provided!!!!!!!
By Horseclick Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 pm
use the os disk i linked to and simply rename it to DSKA0002, DSKA0003 etc....
use a txt file to catalogue what disks they are and general file keeping.

to make your own disk's for example to drag files into your hfe's.

use the hxc floppy emulator software

press disk bvrowser.

locate the hfe i gave you or a copy of it.

you will then see 2 files in the disk image
mpc2000.sys and mpc2000.exe

you can then drag and drop stuff to it and resave to 720kb dsdd fat12 file format.

you could try to remove the os and simply resave the empty disk to see if you can use empty disks with no os for extra storage, but you would need to boot from a diskimage with the os on there.

good luck.
By Horseclick Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:21 pm

finally got the gotek flashed with hxc working in my prophet 2002,

sampler wont format the disk images but i made a image that i can save and overite to :)
By dshook Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:40 am
Hey guys - got one of the HXC flashed GOTEKs off of ebay and got it going in my s900, including successfully loading the updated ver4.0 OS. It doesn't load the OS on boot up but loads it totally happily immediately after booting using DISK 01 (erase mem, load entire disk). Hit me up if you have this setup and I can send you the exact files on my USB, including the working software update, the config file, and a couple MPC templates (JJOS and Vailixi). The image commonly available online for this OS is buggy (says 'ensemble' and 'ens' and a bunch of other random words on the load pages and the disk compression acts funny - although it basically works, the one I have doesn't have these issues)

Cosmetically I just neatly cut a little scrap piece of ABS to fit the hole above the drive and glued it on top flush with the front - stupid little things like that gap start to bug me over time and so I just try to sort them out from the beginning.
By dabmeister Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:42 am
So, fast forward 5 years later. I'm thinking of replacing my floppy with this Gotek on my ASR10, has anyone successfully installed and transferred the OS to a thumb drive yet?
By Sense-A Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:21 pm
I built my own SCSI2SD breakout box for the ASR-10 and got it to work. Even 3D printed a box for it. I did this instead of mount the SCSI2SD inside the ASR-10 so that I could connect the breakout box to old PC's (with SCSI cards in them) to transfer files.

I have not yet setup a GoTek for my ASR-10s yet, but will be later this year. I have 5 gotek drives on their way to me. I haven't bought the software to flash the drives yet. I think I will need to buy the HX firmware software.

Since I have 5 of them, I can setup an extra one for you pre-loaded with the OS and a bunch of sounds (waveboy, all those old CDR's, etc.). What do you think is a good price? They have junky ones on Ebay selling for over $100 which don't even have rotary knobs and have the old 3 digit screens.
By richie Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:43 am
Sense-A wrote: to me. I haven't bought the software to flash the drives yet. I think I will need to buy the HX firmware software.

You don't need to buy hXc. Simply use the free FlashFloppy firmware.
By terry towelling Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:51 am
dabmeister wrote:So, fast forward 5 years later. I'm thinking of replacing my floppy with this Gotek on my ASR10, has anyone successfully installed and transferred the OS to a thumb drive yet?

I have floppy emulators in both my EPS AND ASR10. it's very easy....

1/ download the OS file and blank floppy discs images from gotek site to your computer.
2/ drag and drop OS file and blank floppy discs images from your computer onto a usb drive or cf card.
3/ place usb drive/cf card into the floppy emulator on your asr10.

------------------------
From the 'read me" file from got...
-- ASR 10 Quick Start Pack for HxC Floppy Emulators ( http://hxc2001.com ) --

Copy the files to root of the SDCard / USB Stick and rename the config file you want to use.

Available config files :

HXCSDFE.CFG-normal for the normal mode (Free browsing).
HXCSDFE.CFG-indexed for the indexed mode (incremental browsing mode - DSKAXXXX.HFE files only).

Once choosed, just rename it "HXCSDFE.CFG".
===
Indexed HFE listing :

DSKA0000.HFE : OS ASR 1.25
DSKA0001.HFE : OS ASR 1.61
DSKA0002.HFE : OS ASR 2.01
DSKA0003.HFE : OS ASR 2.51
DSKA0004.HFE : OS ASR 3.53
DSKA0005.HFE : OS ASR 3.53 EDA
DSKA0006.HFE : ASR BOX 8
DSKA0007.HFE : Empty

-----------

https://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=3404
I found this link bookmarked on my browser...can't remember the issue I had or if this fixed it.

if you can't find the OS and blank disc image files, DM me and I can email them to you. but I'm on a surfing trip for a couple of weeks and won't be checking in that regularly.
By Sense-A Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:20 pm
Great info. Sounds easier than I thought. Why, then, do people sell generic $25 gotek drives for over $100 on FleaBay with "ASR-10" in the title then?

I'm going to try to backup all my old floppies to an older computer running windows xp. Not sure if those 20+ year old sounds and kits are worth saving, but I guess I'll find out. I've seen people pay HUNDREDS of dollars for old ASR-10 floppies on ebay. I'm going to have to sell mine to someone for that much. :P I have a whole suitcase full plus a couple more shoeboxes full of ASR-10 Floppies.

I've had one of my ASR-10's disassembled on the kitchen table for over a year now. :Sigh: I've been meaning to bleach the keys white again but never actually get around to it. I'm going to have a hell of a time putting it all back together. :hmmm: :lol:
By richie Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:05 am
Sense-A wrote:Great info. Sounds easier than I thought. Why, then, do people sell generic $25 gotek drives for over $100 on FleaBay with "ASR-10" in the title then?

"Convenience" tax to already have it done for them.

I've posted full guides with links on here for anyone that wanted to purchase a Gotek drive and flash it over to Flash Floppy but for some reason, connecting a usb cable to a $3 USB TTL adapter and plugging in a couple jumper wires is over the mental capacity for some to follow.
By dabmeister Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:06 am
richie wrote:I've posted full guides with links on here for anyone that wanted to purchase a Gotek drive and flash it over to Flash Floppy but for some reason, connecting a usb cable to a $3 USB TTL adapter and plugging in a couple jumper wires is over the mental capacity for some to follow.

We're in an age where many aren't interested in the technical aspect of things, they prefer having it "ready made". I guess this robs them of their creative ambitions. :Sigh:
By BtÁddict Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:55 am
Amigos compré una unidad de emulador Gotek SFR1M44-U100 para mi MPC2000xl pero después de instalarla no me a funcionado, quería saber si este modelo o ese emulador como tal es compatible con la MPC2000XL ya que e visto en diferentes comentarios dónde indican que a funcionado en Mpc60 y 2000 .
Agradesco cualquier concejo o sugerencia.