MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By kaydigi Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:28 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Question is, when the Touch returns to $799 (1st Jan 2017 according to Akai homepage), who the hell is going to buy the Touch when you can get the standalone version for $200 more? Seems to make the Touch appear somewhat of an 'interim' model, destined for the 'mpc fly' and element recycle bin. Perhaps this is why they have used the same top chassis design for the Live?

Or of course, that could suggest that the MPC Live is going to cost more than $900. If it were $1500, I can't see too many people buying it. In the UK that would be nearly £1500 inc VAT, three times the price of a Touch. :shock:

They won't put it back up, either discontinue it or keep the price at $599.
By zangetsu01 Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:42 pm
KASETA wrote:I will be more pessimistic :D but what if it's only old prototype unit photos - maybe they tried to make a standalone unit, but they ended up making only Touch as a controller and that's it. And all these photos just started to circulate now as that one of standalone Renaissance before :)

If you look at the FCC documents you will see that it was submited back in Oktober so i dont think its an old prototype..
By MPC-Tutor Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:05 pm
KASETA wrote:I will be more pessimistic :D but what if it's only old prototype unit photos - maybe they tried to make a standalone unit, but they ended up making only Touch as a controller and that's it. And all these photos just started to circulate now as that one of standalone Renaissance before :)

This is from the documents they submitted to the FCC earlier this year. They only need to do that if they intend releasing it (and if it worked, of course). This is clearly not proof of concept like that standalone Ren was.
By Ill-Green Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:22 pm
I don't think this is the flagship but more like a tool for live performers to disconnect from the computer. Akai released many versions of the MPC before (500, 1000, 2500) can't see why not this could be another sibling of the Ren line like the Studio and Touch are.

I am excited to see where this can go, does seem infinite with the power to connect and disconnect from the computer. So many options this can go if Akai plays it right, they might start a new revolution.
By jpeg Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:40 pm
Ill-Green wrote:I don't think this is the flagship but more like a tool for live performers to disconnect from the computer. Akai released many versions of the MPC before (500, 1000, 2500) can't see why not this could be another sibling of the Ren line an go.

We know it ain't da flagship, as we have had info stating that the flagship is due at winter namm 2017
By nix Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:32 pm
So it's the Return of the Standalone... 8) I'm really interested in hearing the story behind the reintroduction of a standalone concept :popcorn:
By MPC-Tutor Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:49 pm
nix wrote:So it's the Return of the Standalone... 8) I'm really interested in hearing the story behind the reintroduction of a standalone concept :popcorn:

The story is that every time Akai and Simon Bangs blagg any new product or promotion on Social Media, 95% of the replies are along the lines of 'Yeah, but where's the standalone?', '**** that shit, where's my Ren 2?'. I think Akai just got fed up and made a standalone just to shut people up for 5 minutes.
By funkycoldmedina Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:50 pm
I agree i need the locate/arrow buttons for it to be a real MPC.

Also akai seems to be big on the old recycling program for their failed products, as this MPC Live is to the Touch like how the Element was just the bottom half of old MPC Fly units, of which they reportedly sold less than 500.

I want to be optimistic, but so far i'm not seeing any reason to be. I want a flagship!
By MPC-Tutor Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:53 pm
DannyBmpc wrote:In the pictures it doesn't show any adaptor. It looks like the blue tooth and wifi is built in.

Let's hope so. Although based on what's been happening with all the hackers taking over 'internet of things' wifi devices, let's hope Akai spent more than a minute working on the wifi security for it.