Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By MeSoHordey Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:37 pm
16gb of storage lol.

It's a great machine.....10 years ago.
By SILIS101 Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 am
Lampdog wrote:I used to LOVE my DR-5 back in early 2000's.

Damn Lamp you had a DR-5!
You must have been rich because all I could get was a DR-550mkII. I had to sell my bike and mow 15 lawns to get it. :fku: :-D
By Lampdog Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:54 am
My first was drum machine was tr808 in high school, then R-8, then asr-10, then DR5, then 2kxl, then Triton Extreme, then 4k, "then came X"!

Not rich (money) at all, lol. Never have been, never will be.

I do have STYLE though, filthy rich with that, lol, not really.

I have no faith in Akai though. I will wait to see how people get down with it and make my mind up later. The specs are mouth watering, BUT, these days, shit gets released in half assed fashion so I'll fight the urge to get it on day one. Not a hard fight.
By Lampdog Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:43 pm
Back then, DR5 was one of the greatest lil machines anyone could ask for and blew away
many people.
I don't get that same blown away feeling about gear anymore, for decades now. I wish I could feel that for new gear again. It would be much needed motivation.
By Ian Canefire Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:55 pm
Peace Lamp,
I am digging this MPC X looks like they wanted to get the best features from a lot of gear together.
My only problem is the price is too high. Then again I rarely ever buy gear new or at cost.
they appear to work fast. (wave loading and editing)
you can apply efx fast and easy like a korg kaoss pad.
love that it is stand alone with battery power and light weight.
love that it has 3.0 usb memory ( and it's likely like Pioneer's where you can stream from it)
Love the many encoders.

To me the big worry is the cost of a broken screen.
I am surprised they didn't just make it a slot that holds your ipad, samsung or whatever and you just connected to it via wire. This would have lowered the price and allowed people to save using what they already own.

I just want specs. I think that many companies realize that giving people all the tools isn't worth the Research and Development cost because people do not use 100% of their gears power. Like with the MPC4000. Most are not using the powerful synth in it, as well it's 64 polyphony, or even the mixer for that matter. Most just sample and a beat out on the pads or use it to sequence other gear. We know even fewer use Aksys.

So the mpc X for me is the next step for sure but only under $1000. I don't think anything is worth over a $1000 anymore. I know too much about capitalism, business, business ownership, the psychology of the consumer, cost of ownership (learning curve and repairs), devaluation, and advancing technology to pay launch retail cost. As some salesmen call it "the sucker price".

Got to remember it is just metal, plastic and rubber with coding. US$2200.00 in 2017!
Do you all remember the Renaissance price drop?

I teach music production, midi and MPC classes in my recording studio shed here in DC (se habla espanol) and I have a feeling I will be getting more people when the older MPC's are for sale all over Craigslist.

Cheers,
Ian
By Lampdog Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:57 pm
Ian Canefire wrote:To me the big worry is the cost of a broken screen.

I would be fully down with that.

Ian Canefire wrote:I don't think anything is worth over a $1000 anymore.

I can dig that.

Ian Canefire wrote:As some salesmen call it "the sucker price".

Some friends and I call it the "buy it now" price, lol.
Wait 6-8 months and then give something serious buy consideration.

[color=gold]I do however like the specs that are all over the internet so far. Now I wanna wait and see how many many people get down with it, their likes/disklikes and different level's of use. I wanna get a good
feeling from that and then I'll be serious about it. Till then, I like what I've read so far. I remain on the lookout for the "okey doke" though.
By Ian Canefire Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:03 am
All this Boss DR-5 talk made me make a video, for y'all. It gets rocked by me to this day.
Look out for the video in its own thread.

Back to the topic at hand. I was happy to hear that the X can do 24 bit 48khz. Sticking with my 4000 though.

Cheers,
Ian
By feline1 Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:07 pm
MeSoHordey wrote:16gb of storage lol.

It's a great machine.....10 years ago.

:lol: aw come on - you can pop an SSD drive in it if you want more ;)
Last edited by feline1 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
By feline1 Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:14 pm
I gotta confess I'm intrigued by the MPC-X in direct comparison to my MPC4000. Reading the blurb, it does look like it has all the same hardware features at last, in a standalone machine (4 x 5-pin DIN MIDI outs, and 2 INs.... 8 analogue outs, etc) - does it have the ADAT and 96k, I wonder?
It also has some CV/gate out! That would actually be extremely useful for me, as I still have lots of analogue gear and old analogue drum machines that need syncing.
For me, the onboard Effects and filters in the MPC4000 (ie its DSP and softsynth aspects) were the weakest part of it... if that is updated to something better sounding (but that will still load my old program and multi files) I would not complain...
and it it would be nice to have USB3.0 instead of USB1.1 :lol: