Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Horseclick Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:41 am
roland mv 8800 sata ssd installation

first you need the SATA SSD or HDD Drive to MINI IDE 44 Pin

ebay item
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262413655101

then you need a good ssd, not those crap slow + expensive mini ide ones (ZHEINO).

i had a intel at hand so decided the mv needed it

open up the mv (alot of screws),

check pictures

unplug cables from harddrive,

make sure the orientation of the adapter is the same as the harddrive,

plug it into the cable then into ssd.

reattached back of mv, format it,
make sure harddrive protect is off

once formatted

open mv back up take out drive connect to computer drag and drop your sample's back onto it
(1billion times faster then having mv connected via usb)

factory content located here
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B07s_ ... U9VTHhmU1U

after you dragged everything you need.

reassemble Mv
mount your ssd now properly by unscrewing old drive and mounting ssd on mounting plate

mv with silent ssd
improved load times and silent operation

i replaced the fan earlier with a noctua Noctua NF-A8
With the help of @juke179r video
By Wormhelmet Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:52 am
Can you tell me specifically why the SATA to PATA adapter makes the SSD faster than a Zheino SSD PATA drive?

There are no platters spinning in an SSD, so what is making a zheino slower than your intel with adapter?

Curious because I'm about to put an SSD in mine. I have a 160GB regular 7200 rpm in my first MV. 2nd MV is brand new. Thought I'd drop an SSD in.
By Horseclick Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:14 pm
look up the ssd specs, the adapter can support 66/100/133MB/s

any ssd that will run at the maximum speed it can with the adapter

the zehino is a pos Sustained Read 115MB/S Sustained Write 70MB/S and thats probably optimistic
i have not seen any real world benchmarks for it

compare that to any sata ssd you can buy today.

a) sustained read write figures the zeino operates a billion times slower then any sata ssd on the market

b) while using the adapter on a sata ssd may not run the ssd at its native full speed , it will however when you pop it out of the mv , to drop your samples in and out of it when need be like i did in the guide i was dropping 50gb's in a short time span.

c) zeino failed in my friends mv (mv will take along time to list directory, samples, and corrupted samples/projects)

d) if you dont have a mini ide slot on your computer and you have to connect the mv via usb mode, every mv user knows that it is painfully slow to back up your entire hd on computer while in usb mode, sata avoids that completely by popping out the hd connecting to computer bck up/drop new stuff and your back to making beats.

and the big guns give a nice warranty on there drives if samsung offfer 5 years on the 850 pro's that means it can withstand a beating.
now if you think about it putting that drive in a mv you will not see the abuse it wil get in a pc/mac as the os read's/writes shit all the time so that 5 years in a pc/mac will most probably be 50 years in the mv.

do yourself a favour and buy a sata ssd and the adapter you can thank me later, if not and you opt to go for the zeino then hit us back up when it fails.
By Wormhelmet Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:21 pm
The Zheino does have stated on their website sustained read at 116MB/S and write at 80MB/S. Odd because the only bottleneck would be their PATA connector

Any SATA SSD drive will only operate at max IDE bus speed of 66/100/133 MB/S depending on what is in the device. I would think the MV8800's are running 133MB/S

Is there a benchmark for the adapter specifically?

Zheino has a 3 year warranty.

Good point on outside the MV transfer getting better read and write (if SATA III, then 550MB/S read and 520MB/S write)

Not sure if having a friends drive crap out is a good indication of all Zheino drives though. Others are using the Zheino for awhile without issue. I also deal with SSD and HDD drives a lot for work. Drive failures happen. I run two SAN's with about 200 TB between them actually at two different sites with multiple enclosure types. Drives can crap out at any time. Same brand drives (good name brands known for reliability) can vary in time they fail, the same as any cheap brand drive. I would think just about any SSD would have a good chance at a long life in an MV series sampler. Not a lot of stressful read and writes on it as nothing is streamed from disk ever.

Anyway, I'll think about it. Don't think I'll be back here to hit any one up on a drive fail though. Probably use that 3 year warranty.

Thanks for posting up the pictures on the mod. Did you record any load/save times before the mod to compare how much it actually is faster? Its my only gripe about the MV and it is a small inconvenience to me. Once working in a project and even importing samples or loading patches seems fine and not terribly slow, just project load and save if using a lot of RAM

I have a second mod I'm going to try with a SATA to PATA 2.5" SSD caddy. Might as well experiment a bit. SATA SSD's in the size that the MV recognizes are cheap.
Last edited by Wormhelmet on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Wormhelmet Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:34 pm
Interesting - all PATA SSD drives seem to be slow. Kingspec 128GB is 107MB/S read and 65 MB/S write. Transcend 128GB is 118 MB/S read and 92 MB/S write

Transcend is quite expensive compared to the Zheino ($161 for the Transcend) and the Kingspec is cheaper by about $20
By Wormhelmet Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:34 pm
Just reading a post on Anandtech forum where a guy tried three SATA to PATA adapters and they all maxed at 66MB/S writes. Hopefully your adapter has max throughput. All the adapters say they support connections for 66/100/133 MB/S but then so do SSD PATA drives. The 66/100/133 spec is really for type of ATA that is running. I guess it would have to be benchmarked to give real speeds.

Here is the link to Anandtech forum posts - https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ss ... ce.325731/

Big benefit is still when SATA drive is connected up to a PC via SATA to usb 3.0 caddy or external housing connection. Much faster than native PATA SSD's.
By TheUnfuckwithable Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:12 pm
Using a SATA adaptor on a PATA device doesn´t magically make the transfer faster. It will still be as fast as the PATA standard allows.

I prefer a direct connection using a PATA SSD.
By mr_debauch Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:31 pm
maybe slower too (than max spec possible).. because it has to convert between a serial burst to a parallel method of moving data around.

i heard that the load time difference is not really too big. anyone care to give some info on that?
By TheUnfuckwithable Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:35 pm
Can´t comment on that. My projects rarely take up more than 32 MB, so loading is quite fast for me anyway. I don´t use the SSD for storing my sample library either...

I appreciate the facts that a SSD is silent and doesn´t generate heat.
Last edited by TheUnfuckwithable on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ill-Green Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:01 pm
I've had the entire Gasmask Torture project in the MV which took up 112MB and it takes a good 2 minutes to load everything. Gigantomachy was even bigger at 234MB and I had to wait a good 5 minutes. The more you put in a project, the more time it takes to load everything from start-up. And that from the Roland stock drive, imagine 5 or 10GB!!! You'll be there for at least 45 minutes waiting.

For quick start-ups, just make small projects of 1 to 3 songs. Loading a blank project is the only fast lane I know.
By JUKE 179r Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 pm
Ill-Green wrote: Loading a blank project is the only fast lane I know.

This! :nod:
By chino Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:08 pm
do yourself a favour and buy a sata ssd and the adapter you can thank me later, if not and you opt to go for the zeino then hit us back up when it fails.

I had my Zheino 128GB Pata SSD fail in one day! :evil: I kept getting the 'Disk Not Ready' error. I tried to reformat the drive multiple times & I also had the HD protect off. Nothing worked for me. I ended up returning the SSD. Im going to try Juke's CF mode with a micro sdxc adapter. That way I can remove the micro sd card to load samples into the MV8800.
By tjleetop Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:44 am
Hey man, thanks for the information. i tried to order the same exact adapter converter from the link you posted, but he can't ship to the US, so I had to order from another seller and I was wondering if you would know if it is compatible or not? The link of the one I ordered is below:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-SATA-SSD-or ... Sw44BYIXol
I'm a little lost, so I was wondering if you knew if it were compatible or not so that if I had to buy another one, I could do that now instead of after it fails. Thanks so much man, your original post was an inspiration for me to upgrade, but it's so hard to choose the right parts.
By tjleetop Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:53 am
Hey man, thanks for the information. i tried to order the same exact adapter converter from the link you posted, but he can't ship to the US, so I had to order from another seller and I was wondering if you would know if it is compatible or not? The link of the one I ordered is below:
I'm a little lost, so I was wondering if you knew if it were compatible or not so that if I had to buy another one, I could do that now instead of after it fails. Thanks so much man, your original post was an inspiration for me to upgrade, but it's so hard to choose the right parts.
By Horseclick Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:28 pm
tjleetop wrote:Hey man, thanks for the information. i tried to order the same exact adapter converter from the link you posted, but he can't ship to the US, so I had to order from another seller and I was wondering if you would know if it is compatible or not? The link of the one I ordered is below:

looks the same, should be cool