MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By optik415 Wed May 10, 2017 9:01 am
- Will the battery lose its lifespan if the MPC live is plugged in all day/everyday??
- Whats the lifespan and/or number of charge cycles for the battery itself?
- What do we do when the battery cant last anymore and needs to be replaced??
By MPC-Tutor Wed May 10, 2017 9:59 am
Lithium batteries are normally measured by their cycle count, at least that's the way apple does it with macbooks, so if you are unplugged and use 40% of the battery and then charge back to 100%, then use 60% of the battery, you've used up 1 cycle count. I have no idea how many cycle counts the MPC battery is good for, apple consider 1000 cycles to be the useful lifespan before they expect it will need replacing.

Akai state in their FAQ that when the battery is knackered you can contact them to arrange to have a replacement installed. I have absolutely no doubts that by the time batteries start conking out, we'll have a guide here on how to do it yourself along with a recommended list of third party batteries.

If you leave it plugged in constantly I believe it shouldn't have any bearing on the longevity of the battery, but I might be wrong.
By optik415 Wed May 10, 2017 10:53 am
Thx for the info!!
By zangetsu01 Wed May 10, 2017 11:10 am
I believe that all batteries will degrade even if the device is always pluged in but only at much slower rate.

At the following site you can learn more about lithium-on based batteries but also about different types of batteries:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lithium_based_batteries

I've used it for my research for my final thesis. Next week I have to present my design to a committee
and after that the long nightmare will finalay be over.

I hope my MPC-X will drop by than so I can finally start doing the things that I love to do:

'MUSIC' :worthy:
By Chillin Sat May 13, 2017 8:49 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:I believe that all batteries will degrade even if the device is always pluged in but only at much slower rate.

At the following site you can learn more about lithium-on based batteries but also about different types of batteries:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lithium_based_batteries

I've used it for my research for my final thesis. Next week I have to present my design to a committee
and after that the long nightmare will finalay be over.

I hope my MPC-X will drop by than so I can finally start doing the things that I love to do:

'MUSIC' :worthy:

Good-luck, next week.
By Synthesis Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:24 pm
I am looking at various MPC Live units on eBay and noticed some have an older box style that states 4 hour battery life on the front (bottom center) and the newer box has a round red sticker that states "up to 6 hour battery". My question is did Akai revise the battery slightly on newer versions or did they just do some marketing and add the sticker to the box but it is the same battery? Thanks in advance.
By Synthesis Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:16 pm
I appreciate the feedback, I think I will seek out one with the 6 hour sticker...