New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By coolcalmmaurice Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:32 am
What’s up. I’m new to this forum and had a question for all of y’all. I want to get into making sample based beats, which do you guys recommend the SP 404 or MPC 1000. I have a family, wife and kids, I want to get into this as a hobby. I have time to dedicate for learning the hardware but the less time the better, you know what I mean? I have dabbled with ableton but I prefer to stay away from the computer, I work with a computer all day and would like an escape from it when making beats. I’ve recently started collecting vinyl and I’m hooked. I’m living in Japan and theses thrift stores out here are dope, the variety is crazy. I grew up on wu-tang and underground hip hop, that 90s type boom bap stuff. I would like to produce beats similar to that and that lofi style. So that’s where I’m at, I want some sort of hardware but can’t really decide between the MPC or SP. I’ve been doing a lot of research, looking on YouTube, google and I decided to get on this forum to get some advice from those who actually use the gear. I appreciate your help, thanks
By Living Bate Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:18 am
I would say your main point of focus should be on how you want to sequence your beats...

the MPC will allow you to create a beat, sequence it, save it and continue to return to said beat and craft it further...

SP's are more suited for people who like to sequence beats on the fly, using hands as sequencers....

I believe the 404 has got a pattern sequencer on it (I've got the 202 which has nothing like that) but its not as capable as the MPC which will really allow you to craft intricately sequenced songs....
By JUKE 179r Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:24 pm
I've never used a SP-404 (only an SP-808) but IMHO I'd go with the MPC1000 plus the JJ Operating System JJOS2XL which gives you many more options than using the AKAI OS.

More info on the JJ OS...
http://www.mpc-tutor.com/jjos-101-beginners-guide/
By coolcalmmaurice Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:21 am
I'm leaning more towards the MPC because of all of the tutorials online. But I keep hearing people say the sp404 is fun and the limitations bring out creativity in your beats. If I had the funds I would get both and eventually I think I will. But for now I just want to get one.