Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By kidsolo Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:20 pm
Hey,

I'm going around in circles trying to work out which MPC to get. Driving me crazy.

So I used to have an MPC 2000xl way back. Haven't produced anything in years but I caught the bug again and I need to get back into it.

I have a decent spec MACBOOK Pro that I would use so I was looking at the Ren, Touch or Live. I understand the difference with the Touch and Live and have read various threads about it. Even with Live, I would probably still use it with the Mac but the standalone feature is very appealing. Also I have no space for a mixer, which I am assuming I would need with the touch. Am I right in thinking I will not need it with the Live??

Then I remembered the Ren and saw a thread here a few days ago which showed where I can get a B stock one for less than £300.

So, I have a MACBOOK PRO, very little space for anything but 1 machine (so no space for mixer at the moment). What do you think would be the best option. Any help would be great.
By Lampdog Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:28 pm
Ren and Touch are controllers.

Live and X are controllers AND stand alone devices.
By kidsolo Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:37 pm
Hey Lampdog,

Thanks for the quick response.

I understand Ren & Touch are controllers. I was just contemplating that if I will ultimately run the audio into a DAW anyway, should I sacrifice the benefit of standalone and save quite a bit of money.

I was about the order the Touch today but then I read I needed a mixer to run my turnable into it for sampling. For Ren I wouldn't have to right?

Obviously the Live is everything I want in a machine but I am just wondering if paying that much is worth it. I can cop a Ren for £700 less than a Live. Add £100 for 2.0 software and I have still saved £600. If the Live was at the original price of £799 I think it was, this thread wouldn't exist I guess....

I think I'm just gonna have to get the LIVE and swallow the extra cost!
By Lampdog Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:27 am
Ren has an audio interface so you’d have the check the specs on that.

If I HAD to get one of the newer mpc’s I’d choose X. I was actually about to get it, a good friend said wait until I read many reviews, and, it’s not so peachy and rosy.

I am more a standalone gear guy and software for me is considered a plus but I am firstly wanting a standalone unit.
By Living Bate Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:02 am
depends how much doe you got and how important it is for you to be standalone....

considering you can get a Renaissance for £300 and then grab 2.0 for £99....you could have a pretty strong set up for £399 (if you aren't over bothered with the standalone aspect)....

that would be about £1,700 less than an X

And if you are still planning on using the Live with the Macbook then I dont see how its worth splashing out the extra sheets.....unless money really isn't an issue.
By kidsolo Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:06 pm
If a decrnt discount comes about over over the next couple days fo Black Friday, I'll grab the Live. I can probably live with spending about £800-£850 on one, but £999 just hurts. Especially, as you said, I can get the Ren with 2.0 for about £400.