MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By J.O.BEATS Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:48 am
To be honest, I don't even know what an expansion pack is. Is it just a "sample pack" that Akai sells?

What do these packs consist of? Kind of funny that the headlining new feature is expansion pack browsing. LOL
By kaydigi Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:17 am
d2ba wrote:What ever happened to originality ?

There is nothing wrong with expansion packs. The Live/X don’t use them to full capability because of the missing tag browser. Having your collection sorted by kicks, snares, claps etc... is a thing of beauty. Not having to folder dive for simple things is a time saver.
By kaydigi Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:20 am
J.O.BEATS wrote:To be honest, I don't even know what an expansion pack is. Is it just a "sample pack" that Akai sells?

What do these packs consist of? Kind of funny that the headlining new feature is expansion pack browsing. LOL

Akai sells them or you can make your own. Akai’s stuff sounds cookie cutter outside of the producer headline packs.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:33 am
I make expansions but I tend to focus.on instrument expansions rather than cheesey theme packs. Having a library of instruments ready to load if need to record your own original bass lines, piano chords or Rhodes melodies can't be a bad thing. Here's my latest, a collection of electric pianos, 80 patches, all standard keygroup programs so you can use them with pad perform mode or with an attached keyboard

http://www.mpc-samples.com/product.php/ ... expansion/
By Automageddon Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:31 am
You don't need Expansions, you don't buy expansions, simple.
But from a commercial point of view Expansions are an easy win for a company, don't cost much to produce and have a big margin, so no surprises Akai (or any other company) is trying to push them.
I'm annoying they're pushing the expansions ahead of other much needed features and that Expansion are being implemented without a much needed "tag" feature for browsing...
By Ill-Green Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:47 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:I just want to put my own artwork into the Live for folders.

Should be easy enough, once we see what method they use on the exported expansions we can replicate it on any folder. Probably just put the image in the folder, perhaps with an XML file.

:-D that puts a smile on my face. Sounds easy enough.
By J.O.BEATS Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:44 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I make expansions but I tend to focus.on instrument expansions rather than cheesey theme packs. Having a library of instruments ready to load if need to record your own original bass lines, piano chords or Rhodes melodies can't be a bad thing. Here's my latest, a collection of electric pianos, 80 patches, all standard keygroup programs so you can use them with pad perform mode or with an attached keyboard

http://www.mpc-samples.com/product.php/ ... expansion/

I'm just confused on what the difference is between a keygroup/program and an expansion pack :hmmm:
I just load up the keygroup whats the purpose of the expansion pack? I'm obviously ignorant on the subject and always just thought it was Akais wording for drum kit/pack etc.
By J.O.BEATS Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:46 pm
kaydigi wrote:
d2ba wrote:What ever happened to originality ?

There is nothing wrong with expansion packs. The Live/X don’t use them to full capability because of the missing tag browser. Having your collection sorted by kicks, snares, claps etc... is a thing of beauty. Not having to folder dive for simple things is a time saver.

So you have "expansion packs" for kicks, snares etc? I have "folders" and "programs" for those. Whats the difference?

I really feel like I'm missing something here...
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:39 pm
Here's a tutorial I did on how to make expansions.

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/mpc-software-t ... ion-packs/

A proper MPC expansion is set up to take advantage of the features found in the MPC Software Expansion Browser, such as file grouping, program previews, the pack image etc. It can also include sequences, patterns, even entire projects. It should also come with a proper installer.

But yes, it is ultimately a samplepack, but one that is full of MPC-specific features.
By Rokgod Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:48 pm
Expansion browser enhancements, creating your own expansion, I really like these new features, now I can bring in all my drums from other sources and make them expansions inside the mpc, add a graphic, make my own kits and have it go perfect with the mpc software. The browser sorely needed update.

The touch and live's 5 mode shortcuts on the left side of the main page on the touchscreen need to be customizable and not fixed. Why is XY even a shortcut from the Main Mode page on the touchscreen? Can we customize those 5 shortcuts to the modes we want?
By smellypants Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:56 pm
InspectahEX wrote:Expansion browser enhancements, creating your own expansion, I really like these new features, now I can bring in all my drums from other sources and make them expansions inside the mpc, add a graphic, make my own kits and have it go perfect with the mpc software. The browser sorely needed update.

The touch and live's 5 mode shortcuts on the left side of the main page on the touchscreen need to be customizable and not fixed. Why is XY even a shortcut from the Main Mode page on the touchscreen? Can we customize those 5 shortcuts to the modes we want?

I don't believe so but I would like that feature :nod: