Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Philup Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:02 pm
HI!I got an mpc black the last year and i really like it but i really want to work without my pc and i am thinking to trade my studio for an mpc2000xl with broken slider is it worth?(I dont really use vst's only samples)
By richie Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:58 pm
It kind of sounds like you answered your own question man.
By Philup Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:22 pm
richie wrote:It kind of sounds like you answered your own question man.
I know but i am not sure because the 2000xl is limited compare to mpc studio
By tapedeck Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:29 pm
i would think going back in time 20 years technology-wise this could really frustrate you. if however you are committed to the workflow you could end up really liking it and getting creative. there are gonna be basic conveniences of the computer workflow though that you will probably miss...first and foremost, storage.

what kind of drive does the xl have?
By Philup Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:43 pm
tapedeck wrote:i would think going back in time 20 years technology-wise this could really frustrate you. if however you are committed to the workflow you could end up really liking it and getting creative. there are gonna be basic conveniences of the computer workflow though that you will probably miss...first and foremost, storage.

what kind of drive does the xl have?

usb CF reader
By richie Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:40 am
I personally would not suggest going to the XL if you're used to working on a DAW. Just like tapedeck said, it's like going back in a time machine for making beats which depending on how you work with things, could be fun.

A lot of the time, I end up doing the hard editing and stuff on the DAW and then dump out to my XL. I happen to have a proper soundcard to trackout back to the DAW.

The main thing I find an inconvenience of being in stand alone is that I like to mix and eq while I'm making a beat, so not being able to really do that the way I want on the XL or any stand alone piece of gear (ok fine, I can sort of do that with my Mackie mixer but it isn't the same to what I'm used to) can be tiring.
By tapedeck Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:07 pm
Philup wrote:
tapedeck wrote:what kind of drive does the xl have?

usb CF reader

???
you need to double check what you are getting because the xl does not even have usb.

if it does indeed have a card reader, great. next hurdle is going to be interfacing with a computer - if you are on mac you can pretty much forget it, its not gonna work (i've tried all the software to fix this and none of it has worked for me - i use my mpc card strictly with windows xp - i think some people have it working, just sharing my experience).
another thing you have to watch out for is filenames. if you ever name your files anything longer than 8 characters, you will destroy it when you plug it into a computer.

so again - if all those caveats sound good to you, go for it. but dont say i didnt warn you :mrgreen:
By Bamboo95 Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:38 pm
Philup wrote:HI!I got an mpc black the last year and i really like it but i really want to work without my pc and i am thinking to trade my studio for an mpc2000xl with broken slider is it worth?(I dont really use vst's only samples)

Dont trade your Black, especially if the 2000xl doesn't have an updated method of file storage. I have both and use the xl to sample vinyl then I transfer the sample via CF card