New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Slim95x Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:32 pm
So, i've been thinking about picking up an mpc for quite some time, and cant decide between which mpc i should be aiming for. I was thinking about the older mpc 2000xl, or the mpc live. The 2000xl is putting me off a bit, since its pretty bulky, and the added portability of live is pretty nice. Also, i feel like an 18 year old machine is just bound to break down sooner or later, and im not looking forward to it. Would love to hear your input on which one is a better option to get. ???
By mr_debauch Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:47 pm
that sounds about right if price isn't an issue... I like the look of the live but i'm still using the old MPC 60 at the moment and it works for what im currently doing musically.
By Menco Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:30 am
Shouldn’t worry about the 2000XL’s build quility. Maybe a few dying tact switches that can be replaced easily and most sellers do a repair check up first before they sell it.

But to answer your question, it kind of depends on what you prefer and what planned method of working is.
If you want to make beats in a computer dominant environment and want pair your MPC up with plugins and VST, then go for the Live. It can also function as a soundinterface, so that’s also a plus if you’re starting from scratch.

I would only recommend the 2000XL if you want to bang out beats away from the computer as much as possible, or if you are a real hardware type of person. If you’re used to software (and computers in general) then the small screen can be tedious and straining. Or a relief after spending a whole workday behind a computer screen.

If you go for the 2000XL try to find one that’s upgraded with the 8outs and usb port.
By saltmcgault Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:16 am
Slim95x wrote:So, i've been thinking about picking up an mpc for quite some time, and cant decide between which mpc i should be aiming for. I was thinking about the older mpc 2000xl, or the mpc live. The 2000xl is putting me off a bit, since its pretty bulky, and the added portability of live is pretty nice. Also, i feel like an 18 year old machine is just bound to break down sooner or later, and im not looking forward to it. Would love to hear your input on which one is a better option to get. ???

just curious on why you narrowed it down between the 2000xl and the live? there’s nothing wrong with that at all ,but why just those 2?