Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By golden-era Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:00 am
I saw a guy ripping ASR sequencer on gesrslutz. For the doubters, listen to Cann OX Cold Vein done by El-p on the EPS16 plus. Old Aesop Rock, although not a huge fan, like Labor Days, him and Blockhead bare bones ASR users with sick intricate programming. BLOCKHEAD didn't even use studio monitors back in the day.

If there was one guy I wish would do a tutorial video on the asr it's Blockhead.
By Lampdog Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:14 pm
The ASR10's sequencer isn't the greatest, not even close, but, it's what made it great for me. The timing sometimes drifted on RAM tracks and it didn't bother me at all, it made some things that were meant to be perfect imperfect and small pleasant surprises to my ears. I STILL to this day applaud the ASR10 for it's imperfections and "manualness" (where shit is manual and intended and not automagical 1 button presses.)
By Wal Martian Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:17 pm
golden-era wrote:... bare bones ASR users with sick intricate programming.

Alchemist is highly skilled on the ASR10, I remember another old clip where he talks about using it in a dark room and not needing to see the button labels.

Jakeone is another master of the ASR10.
By golden-era Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:04 pm
I am an Alchemist fan, I really like ANT on the ASR can't forget Stoupe of course. I think guys like ElP Aesop and Blockhead pushed the ASR and EPS past simple boom bap you know.

When you guys say sequencer isn't the best I guess I don't follow. Since I mostly make boom bap stuff and it's a 96 ppq i can mimic anything drum programming done on an MP or SP. Is it because there isn't a easy swing function which we know ASR has a work around?

In fact as a test, I made drum tracks usimg same drum samples on SP using that infamous double tempo swing and was able to get the exact same grooves on the ASR. Now I am a big step edit guy but I was able to recreate the groove pretty easily.
By Lampdog Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:26 am

Ensoniq: ASR-X PRO - Pattern Sequencer

> Audio Out - Max. Jitter between 16ths: 234 samples (4.87ms)

Akai: MPC-4000 - Pattern Sequencer

> Audio Out - Max. Jitter between 16ths: 1 sample (0.02ms)

> MIDI TX - Max. Jitter between 16ths: 3 samples (0.06ms)

Source: MIDI Clock

> Audio Out: Max. Jitter between 16ths: 29 samples (0.60ms)

> MIDI TX - Max. Jitter between 16ths: 29 samples (0.60ms)

By Lampdog Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:28 am
I know I've seen and ASR-10 test somewhere, can't find it right now. Although the sequencer/midi timing never bothered me before and it doesn't bother me now.
By golden-era Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:36 am
Yeah I don't mess with Midi at all. I dont have timing issues I just throw a beat into DAW and match no jitters or anything to track it.

Wasn't there a poster here who was ANT from Atmosphere or who knew him? If so I am curious if he programmed his stuff in double time for additional clocks/ticks or just straight time? Always admired his drum samples which I'm assuming are from old jazz records.

I read Blockhead does use double time on occasion; the Aesop track Save Yourself. Interestingly enough he took some inspiration from Manny Fresh but applied that double time to more traditional sample based stuff.

Not really a tip or trick but I find it interesting to see how guys sequence.
By Lampdog Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:07 pm
I've done double resolution many times before on Roland R8, ASR10, MPC2kxl and MPC4k, it works out great imo.
By golden-era Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 am
I always wondered if anyone knew the double time note equivalent of regular time MPC swing? For instance, ive seen posts here that say with MPC 1/16th 66% swing in regular time equates to the following notes:

001.01.00, 001.01.31, 001.01.48, 001.01.79
001.02.00, 001.02.31, 001.02.48, 001.02.79

Does anyone know what the double time note equivalents would be? I was always curious. Might be of interest to ASR users who program double time.
By Ogami Daigorō Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am
How to migrate / transfer data from old storage solutions (CD-ROMs, external SCSI drives and floppy disks) to a SCSI2SD board.

Ensoniq samplers: Storage Migration to SCSI2SD Guide

TABLE OF CONTENTS

PART 1: Intro
PART 2: Software setup
PART 3: SD card access
PART 4: Computer to SCSI2SD
PART 5: CD-ROM to SCSI2SD
PART 6: Image to SCSI2SD
PART 7: Floppy Disk to SCSI2SD
PART 8: External SCSI Drive to SCSI2SD
By golden-era Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:00 pm
Wondering if any ASR heads ever messed with the 45 rpm sampming trick used alot on the SP12 and SP1200? When tuning the sample back down in the SP it added artifacts which I'm sure you are all familiar with.

Any word if this technique works or inpacts the sound of a sample on the ASR?
By richie Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:24 am
golden-era wrote:Wondering if any ASR heads ever messed with the 45 rpm sampming trick used alot on the SP12 and SP1200? When tuning the sample back down in the SP it added artifacts which I'm sure you are all familiar with.

Any word if this technique works or inpacts the sound of a sample on the ASR?

Of course it does. Sampling in at a higher speed and pitching down will cause sound data to be lost which is why the artifacts are created. How much of a sound / coloration caused with this is something you'd be able to verify with your own usage of the ASR though man.
By golden-era Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:59 pm
I understand some here seem frustrated with sequencing on the ASR as opposed to thevsimplicity of the MPC, but after years of using the ASR I can tell you it can do anything sequencing wise a MPC can do even the Primo swing lol.