Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By classytouch Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:05 am
Wal Martian wrote:
classytouch wrote:How many synths/keyboards are you running?

5-8 at any given time. Lately I've been using the Motif ES alot on multiple channels.

What do you like most about the ES? I've been eyeing those ES's lately, it seems people really love their ES units, there aren't many available online and they don't make them anymore. I ended up getting an XS rack (Yet to arrive). I've been using the original Motif Rack and it's been all bad, the midi in muti mode is mad buggy. I love the motif sounds though! They work! I was also eyeing a Roland Integra 7, but I settled for the XS.

What type of music do you all make?
By Wal Martian Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:22 am
I like it for bread and butter sounds or to do quick demos with. I use the TR 808 and 909 off it quite often. The DX type sounds and some of the wave table sounds are good like the there's a couple decent rhodes and wurlitzers and even clavs. Lots of cool organs and synths if you find the ones that are more like an analog modelled style sound. I usually layer drums from the motif with maybe one other machine then layer and mix more in my daw.
By classytouch Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:43 am
Wal Martian wrote:I like it for bread and butter sounds or to do quick demos with. I use the TR 808 and 909 off it quite often. The DX type sounds and some of the wave table sounds are good like the there's a couple decent rhodes and wurlitzers and even clavs. Lots of cool organs and synths if you find the ones that are more like an analog modelled style sound. I usually layer drums from the motif with maybe one other machine then layer and mix more in my daw.

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. I've never heard of waves table, what is that? For now I'm just using the 3000 with two modules and a table top synth. I'm looking to totally take the computer out of my creative process except for the end processes ( Tracking out my beats and recording vocals ) I've been considering getting some type of stand alone recording device. Do you know of any that have a nice professional sonic quality?
By Boef1 Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:32 pm
I got a mpc 60 mkI and a mpc 3000. I just bought The 3000 resently. But I love it and I use it all the time. Sometime with my s950 and somtimes as stand alone. I think im gonna be working more with the mpc 3000 than the 60. I need to upgrade the screen soon and maybee upgrade software to valixi. I dont know.
Here's a beat I made the other day on the mpc 3000.
By classytouch Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:15 pm
Boef1 wrote:I got a mpc 60 mkI and a mpc 3000. I just bought The 3000 resently. But I love it and I use it all the time. Sometime with my s950 and somtimes as stand alone. I think im gonna be working more with the mpc 3000 than the 60. I need to upgrade the screen soon and maybee upgrade software to valixi. I dont know.

Nice! I'm diggin the vibes! How would you compare the Mpc 60 to the Mpc 3000 so far? Get Valixi! Is there anything you don't like about the 3k?
By richie Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 pm
Upgrade to Vailixi so you can up the value of your MPC 3000 if you decide to sell it.

If you or anyone else needs a set shipped out to you, send me a pm.
Last edited by richie on Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Boef1 Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:33 am
classytouch wrote:
Boef1 wrote:I got a mpc 60 mkI and a mpc 3000. I just bought The 3000 resently. But I love it and I use it all the time. Sometime with my s950 and somtimes as stand alone. I think im gonna be working more with the mpc 3000 than the 60. I need to upgrade the screen soon and maybee upgrade software to valixi. I dont know.

Nice! I'm diggin the vibes! How would you compare the Mpc 60 to the Mpc 3000 so far? Get Valixi! Is there anything you don't like about the 3k?

Thanks!
I did a sound test back to back with the 3000 and the 60. Sampled a drum break at same level. Threshhold allmost the same. it workes a bit different on the two mpc. 3000 has the rec nob. 60 dosent. But I sampled the break in as loud as i could with out distorting the sound. put it out on seperate channels through my mixer. And to my surprise the 3000 was more punchier and loud and loud. Let me see if i can find the video of it on my phone.
Otherwise the fact that on the 3000 you can work with larger samples, it much faster with loading/saving aswell. it has filters, and head phones out. Scisi and so on. My 3000 has the OS 3.11, witch dosen't offer compression, witch the 3.10 on my 60 has. and I miss that a bit. But if I eventualiy upgrade to valixi I will get that won't I? But both mpc's are awsome and I will keep both, at leat for now. But the 3000 has my atention at the moment.
By richie Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:53 pm
I thought the "compression" was for compressing the actual size of file and not actual plugin type compression.

Also just an idea here -- were the gain settings on the 60 the same as the S3000 when sampling?
By LoopTheCrook Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:34 pm
classytouch wrote: And to my surprise the 3000 was more punchier and loud and loud.

3000 is louder, I agree on that but it ain't punchier... at least not to my ears.
There's something in 12bit that hits harder. when you level match signals, 60 is punchier.
my impression was that you can clip in 60 way more than 3000.
60 is more forgiving... 3000 will give you some weird static noise sooner than 60.
actually, 60 will distort, 3000 it won't or at least not in a similar fashion.

and "3000 has the rec nob. 60 doesn't"... in 60 you must set record level in software at least in elixir OS which I have.
By classytouch Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:38 pm
LoopTheCrook wrote:
classytouch wrote: And to my surprise the 3000 was more punchier and loud and loud.

3000 is louder, I agree on that but it ain't punchier... at least not to my ears.
There's something in 12bit that hits harder. when you level match signals, 60 is punchier.
my impression was that you can clip in 60 way more than 3000.
60 is more forgiving... 3000 will give you some weird static noise sooner than 60.
actually, 60 will distort, 3000 it won't or at least not in a similar fashion.

and "3000 has the rec nob. 60 doesn't"... in 60 you must set record level in software at least in elixir OS which I have.

@Loop The Crook it was @Boef1 that made that comment, I haven't had the opportunity to touch an Mpc 60 yet! Your reply is very interesting, I'll eventually get my hands on a 60 sooner or later.
By Spod Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:15 pm
Sure, it's Technically limited in comparison to modern sequencers, but there's a bunch of reasons I love using the 3000.
1. It's perfectly designed for its function. Feels great, looks great, the lay out is intuitive and the submenus are to a minimum. You can really fly once you get on a roll.
2. Sounds great! Sampling into this paired with my S900 is so much fun, and drums just sound instantly satisfying. All my work in Logic never FEELS as fun or sounds as good to my ears.
3. History. It's enjoyable to be using something you know that was heavily used by artists you love. It's basically the newest piece of gear I own, so all the music I make could have technically been made in 1994, which while it doesn't actually mean anything, is strangely satisfying. Also, it's a marvel that Roger Linn got it so right, so quick. Even the 60 is amazing today.
4. External sequencer. I run my entire analog synth studio off the back of the 3000, and it's fast & intuitive to dial up whatever synth I want to play and I just have them all patched through a mixer.
5. No computers. There are other options these days to stay away from computers, but most give you options into it. I don't want those options or distractions, I want my computer turned off while i'm making music as i'm too easily distracted.

I love the 3000 and fear the day it checks out of this mortal realm.
By classytouch Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:52 am
Spod wrote:Sure, it's Technically limited in comparison to modern sequencers, but there's a bunch of reasons I love using the 3000.
1. It's perfectly designed for its function. Feels great, looks great, the lay out is intuitive and the submenus are to a minimum. You can really fly once you get on a roll.
2. Sounds great! Sampling into this paired with my S900 is so much fun, and drums just sound instantly satisfying. All my work in Logic never FEELS as fun or sounds as good to my ears.
3. History. It's enjoyable to be using something you know that was heavily used by artists you love. It's basically the newest piece of gear I own, so all the music I make could have technically been made in 1994, which while it doesn't actually mean anything, is strangely satisfying. Also, it's a marvel that Roger Linn got it so right, so quick. Even the 60 is amazing today.
4. External sequencer. I run my entire analog synth studio off the back of the 3000, and it's fast & intuitive to dial up whatever synth I want to play and I just have them all patched through a mixer.
5. No computers. There are other options these days to stay away from computers, but most give you options into it. I don't want those options or distractions, I want my computer turned off while i'm making music as i'm too easily distracted.

Felt. I agree 100%

My main apprehension about getting a 3000 was the work flow but once I got it and started getting into the groove of it, I'd gotten so quick on it, It's incredible. I've been surfing around the other MPC sub forums and have noticed a lot of users are looking for more features, I believe as you get more features a little something has to be sacrificed. The sound of the 3000 has and instant quality that I too couldn't achieve using a DAW ( Studio One ). Knowing I possess a machine with such potential is exciting and has been madly fueling my creativity!

I'm currently using two rack modules. How may are you using? I believe my MIDI Outs C & D are busted so I'm currently restricted to two units.

Using no computer has been awesome! There's definitely something to be said about computer-less creating. I've been eyeing a Tascam Dp-02 to record instruments into. That'll complete my current setup.
By Spod Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:16 am
classytouch wrote:
Spod wrote:Sure, it's Technically limited in comparison to modern sequencers, but there's a bunch of reasons I love using the 3000.

Felt. I agree 100%

My main apprehension about getting a 3000 was the work flow but once I got it and started getting into the groove of it, I'd gotten so quick on it, It's incredible. I've been surfing around the other MPC sub forums and have noticed a lot of users are looking for more features, I believe as you get more features a little something has to be sacrificed. The sound of the 3000 has and instant quality that I too couldn't achieve using a DAW ( Studio One ). Knowing I possess a machine with such potential is exciting and has been madly fueling my creativity!

I'm currently using two rack modules. How may are you using? I believe my MIDI Outs C & D are busted so I'm currently restricted to two units.

Using no computer has been awesome! There's definitely something to be said about computer-less creating. I've been eyeing a Tascam Dp-02 to record instruments into. That'll complete my current setup.

Yeah, it's just a hell of a lot more fun. Chopping samples & drums to mix with my linndrum, drumtraks & jomox 09 is a blast. Then bussing them all down to 1 or 2 tracks on tape keeps it simple and takes away the anxiety of mixing 10 drum tracks on computer.

I've got about 22 synths, drum machines & modules nearly all hooked up to it over the 4 midi channels. I assign them to type, so A is my mono synths, B is my polyphonic synths & modules, C is everything else and D is for Drum Machines. I daisy chain them assigned by midi channel. I then have a patch bay for all of those synths going into a mackie mixer, then the 4 sub bus channels going into the first 4 channels of my Tascam 388. The other 4 tracks are open for vocals and adding in more synths or bouncing down tracks.

then when they're all recorded onto the 388, I can then patch them into my RME UCX to get all 8 tracks into Logic Pro for final mixing, or run the double outputs through a hardware limiter (alesis micro limiter) for an analog mixdown. I prefer the stereo mixdown, something about the 388 summing sounds so much cooler than the 8 individual tracks.

The hardest battle is fighting against dodgy leads and having enough leads to get the job done. I could do with about 6 more 8x1/4 inch snakes and 20 cables of every length to finish patching things right.
By classytouch Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:36 pm
Spod wrote: Yeah, it's just a hell of a lot more fun. Chopping samples & drums to mix with my linndrum, drumtraks & jomox 09 is a blast. Then bussing them all down to 1 or 2 tracks on tape keeps it simple and takes away the anxiety of mixing 10 drum tracks on computer.

I've got about 22 synths, drum machines & modules nearly all hooked up to it over the 4 midi channels. I assign them to type, so A is my mono synths, B is my polyphonic synths & modules, C is everything else and D is for Drum Machines. I daisy chain them assigned by midi channel. I then have a patch bay for all of those synths going into a mackie mixer, then the 4 sub bus channels going into the first 4 channels of my Tascam 388. The other 4 tracks are open for vocals and adding in more synths or bouncing down tracks.

then when they're all recorded onto the 388, I can then patch them into my RME UCX to get all 8 tracks into Logic Pro for final mixing, or run the double outputs through a hardware limiter (alesis micro limiter) for an analog mixdown. I prefer the stereo mixdown, something about the 388 summing sounds so much cooler than the 8 individual tracks.

The hardest battle is fighting against dodgy leads and having enough leads to get the job done. I could do with about 6 more 8x1/4 inch snakes and 20 cables of every length to finish patching things right.

WOW!!! That's impressive! Sounds like you're running a mad science lab over there! That's awesome! How do you like the Tascam 338? Is it hard to source tape for it?

I hear you, I read that a lot of pro's didn't even use the 8 outs on the Mpc 3000. I have yet to use them myself, I don't mind taking a few minutes to track things out into Studio One.

Lol! Tell me about it! When I first got my MP and Modules I was at the store every other day buying cables! Lol it felt never ending. Dare I add a new piece!

Do you have any music online?
By martel80 Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:18 pm
I'm having the same type of issues now and just an idea to suggest if you're in need of more inputs to go to fewer AD conversion.

There's some DIY Summing mixer that are quite cheap and well regarded. Usually 16 unbalaced inputs.

I'm far from having a 22 synth setup but right now I need to have my 2kXL, my S3000 and my EPS 16+_ all going in together as clean as possible.

So I decided to go with a DIY summing mixer and If I need to bounce my tracks one by one I can always mute my units without losing anything.

Food for thoughts.