MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By qkrgusdb33 Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:23 am
I'm thinking of buying "MPC Live" Or "Macbook Pro" to use Logic Pro X

I'm working with MPC Studio right now and not using 2.0 software
I tried the demo but I don't think there was such a big difference..

1. Whats so different about MPC Live and MPC Studio ??

2. Is there any advantages about MPC Live then Macbook Pro using Logic Pro X ??

I do feel the Macbook Pro is too expensive for me to buy..
That's why I'm kind of hesitating..
By BremenCole Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:28 am
I used a MPC Touch for over two years, had my MPC Live a week. I want to get away from computers, so I went to the Live. If you use your Studio, and like the MPC workflow then get a MPC. Logic is a great program, and extremely powerful with a modern MacBook Pro. If you enjoy sitting at a computer than Logic is a great choice.

If you would have the Live hooked to a computer most/all the time, save money and get a Touch. As I said I use both, and they are the same when connected to a computer. The Live of course can run without the computer. But, when the Live is not connected to a computer, you do not have access to VSTi instruments or effects. If you depend on software synths, stand-alone Live is not for you. If you’re sample based and want standalone, Live is awesome.

The Live does it for me, so I’m keeping it and selling the Touch. Just decide how you want to work, then choose the best option for you. There all good.
By qkrgusdb33 Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:12 am
BremenCole wrote:I used a MPC Touch for over two years, had my MPC Live a week. I want to get away from computers, so I went to the Live. If you use your Studio, and like the MPC workflow then get a MPC. Logic is a great program, and extremely powerful with a modern MacBook Pro. If you enjoy sitting at a computer than Logic is a great choice.

If you would have the Live hooked to a computer most/all the time, save money and get a Touch. As I said I use both, and they are the same when connected to a computer. The Live of course can run without the computer. But, when the Live is not connected to a computer, you do not have access to VSTi instruments or effects. If you depend on software synths, stand-alone Live is not for you. If you’re sample based and want standalone, Live is awesome.

The Live does it for me, so I’m keeping it and selling the Touch. Just decide how you want to work, then choose the best option for you. There all good.

I do like standalone and being away from computer and to be free to take the mpc wherever I want to go.
But if I think about it..Macbook could do the same..and also able to take the VSTI around unlike the MPC live..
I'm not really a software synth user most likely a sample based beat maker
But I want to try to use VSTI and do more new stuff (sequencing , Different genre, Etc..)
By MaScHiNeHeAd Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:57 pm
Peace, qkrgusdb33....

I suppose the real question is, Do YOU think the MPC Live is worth it?
Controller/standalone is an intensely personal choice, so I can only draw on my experience for comparison.
I started on Standalone MPCs, so that feels right to me. I also like that I don't need a laptop to create a beat, Most of my gear is standalone.
The only diversion from this is my Maschine Studio which lives in my lab.
But generally I create on the go, either at work or anywhere.
I do plan to sit by the river in the summer, just me, my Live & headphones & a couple of cold beers...
It fits in a backpack, so another big tick for the Live.
I think you DO get more bang for your buck with the Live, it's portability being a big factor.
You have (pretty much) everything you need to create a song, sequencing as you go. You have your effects, also send/return channels & audio tracks, sample editing facilities, all in one box.
For me, it's a YES!!
End of ramble...
Peace.. 8) 8)
By tsutek Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:20 pm
You sound quite unsure and clearly have not researched into the two options deeply.

If you’re not sure what you want, go for the MBP. Better yet, buy a windows laptop and save yourself a wad of cash. Logic audio is cool and all but its certainly not the only DAW out there.. plenty to choose from in this day and age.
By qkrgusdb33 Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:31 pm
Thanks for all the answers guys !
Sorry if I came out as dissing the MPC Live..
I wasn't try to diss the product or anything .. I was just really curious !
anyway I'll keep on thinking about it !
Thanks !
By MPCWeapon1 Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:41 pm
If you're looking for the most economical solution then The Live and a windows computer because of all the cracked software you can get.

If you're looking for the best solution then Logic and a MacBook Pro. Logic can do everything.

I use both.
By kingofthetrill Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:46 am
If the standalone part of it is drawing you in I'd say it is worth it. You can do everything on a computer, but for me the standalone puts it ahead. I get sidetracked super quickly so it's just easier if I stay off the computer and have a dedicated box just for making beats. Maybe I'm just way too easily distracted but I've been having fun with it!
By dflat57 Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:18 am
Pads wrote:I bought both the Live and the X. I love the Live for it’s portability, just throw whatever you need on an sd card and take it where ever you may. Use the X at home and take my projects along with the Live with me if I’m heading out for a weekend or something.

I am enjoying the X so far. I have the itch to get the Live too. Only thing holding me up is I need an acoustic guitar
By Danoc Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:18 pm
Aawwwh dam you're happier than a six year old on XMAS eve :lol: :nod:

Don't forget to show it off in my show your pic thread.

Keith's Lard wrote:I've just purchased the Live after months of umming and ahhing. It gets delivered on Wednesday...I'm getting a bit giddy now :lol:
By ralphNYC Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:46 pm
Through trial and error I find that it’s really nice to sometimes work standalone and sometimes work connected. And I’m talking about just my at home studio setup. I really like making tracks on the MPC standalone. Don’t look at the computer don’t touch a mouse - just the pads and the menu/main buttons at first. With built in plugins you can put together massive sequences and easily put down the 2 or 3 or maybe 4 sequences that constitute the bulk of most music production. After the sequences are done I do find it easier to export to a DAW to mix master and add vocals or Omnisphere parts etc. its a really productive way to work. Starting stuff on the computer is less tactile and less engaging for me. But it’s fine to end up there.