Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Wal Martian Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:20 pm
I'm hoping to build a portable setup with 2x2K's and a slim DJ mixer. External zip drives and mcd enclosures are not optimal. The 1.44MB limit on .snd files probably won't work either, I thought you could save across multiple floppies but if that's the file size limit I'll probably do LADiego's mod above.
By distortedtekno Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:53 pm
Wal Martian wrote:I'm hoping to build a portable setup with 2x2K's and a slim DJ mixer. External zip drives and mcd enclosures are not optimal. The 1.44MB limit on .snd files probably won't work either, I thought you could save across multiple floppies but if that's the file size limit I'll probably do LADiego's mod above.

Definitely go for the mod. You'll be happy with it when it's all done. Too bad for the floppy emulator. It would've been the easiest solution for the 2k. But nobody's been able to tackle the saving issue, from all I've read.
By katzenjammer Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:19 am
Hey all, digging up this corpse of a thread.

I was one of the original people that tried (and failed) to get the scsi2sd card working with the MPC 2K Classic. Been going back to Zip drives but they're starting to get wonky.

However: I recently saw an internal mod ribbon kit for the SCSI2SD on Ebay that said it worked with the 2K classic. The seller sent me this video showing it actually working. :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZlQw6E ... e=youtu.be

"If it works externally it should work internally"

My board still doesn't work externally but anyone else got one to work with the Classic? Mine still lights up when it reaches the selected SCSI ID port but the MPC keeps on searching for other drives...

Would love to stop using these sketchy ZIPs.
By richie Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:02 am
I think I remember responding to you in the other thread about this last year.

- Did you verify that the v5 has the self termination dip enabled?
- Did you correctly set up the micro sd card with the scsi2sd software?

The video simply illustrates that he put the scsi2sd in an external case and the MPC 2000 recognized it. The kit he is selling on ebay will be of no use to anyone that already did the internal scsi mod.
By katzenjammer Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:43 am
Not sure where the termination dip is located on a V5 but the termination resistor packs are firmly seated. The seller did suggest that I may have in issue with termination but I'm not quite sure what can be done about that as there's no software access to the termination state. I did try and remove the resistor packs (effectively unterminating the unit) but the MPC wouldn't even go through full the scsi search.

In terms of the Micro SD, here are the settings:

x Enable SCSI Target

SCSI ID 0
SD card start sector 0
Sector Size 512
Sector count 16777216
Device Size 8 GB
Vendor codesrc
Product ID sd card
Revision 4.6
Serial number 1234567812345678

"The video simply illustrates that he put the scsi2sd in an external case and the MPC 2000 recognized it."

I haven't really heard of anyone getting the MPC2K Classic to even recognize the SCSI2SD internally or externally, and its noticeably absent from the "supported samplers" on the official documentation. But if you've got one working, I'm all ears :)
By richie Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:01 am
The fact that you can use a zip drive with your MPC 2000 tells me that your SCSI is working to some extent.

How are you attempting to connect the scsi2sd to the MPC 2000? Internally? Externally? More information other than it does not work is needed.

The video shows that he has the termination resistors present and that the scsi2sd was configured to run on SCSI ID 1 and 2. The termination resistors are why people are able to run the scsi2sd out of that tiny 3d printed enclosure, bus powered at that - as I believe the SCSI termination line provides ground and 5v+ to facilitate that.

Regarding your configuration, Perhaps attempt to change the configuration to have SCSI ID 1-4 enabled just so that the SCSI bus can attempt to read them. Also, What is the "Device Type" you set it as? I assume hard drive? Map it so that all ids utilize the same amount of space.
By katzenjammer Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:13 am
I'm currently using the db25 to 50pin adaptor provided by the scsi2sd manufacturer going into my zip drive cable and then into the rear of the MPC. I've tried it both powered from an external enclosure and using the MPC Scsi bus power and on both occasions the SCSI2SD hangs with a solid light on.

Attempted to change use scsi id 1-4 and settings on "Hard drive" all set at 2gb - no joy. Would it be possible for the db25 scsi cable to work for my ZIP drive but not the scsi2sd for some reason? Not sure what else it could be. The adaptor?
By richie Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:48 am
Some questions that come to mind:

- When you connected the SCSI2SD to the zip drive, did you disable the termination switch on the back of the zip drive? Otherwise the termination resistors on the SCSI2SD will interfere with the zip drive.

- When you connected the SCSI2SD in an enclosure, I assume you removed the 50pin to 25pin male adapter first, right?

* When you connected the SCSI2SD in an enclosure, did you connect it to the zip drive or direct to the MPC 2000?

- While the SCSI cable could be an issue in itself, it isn't my first thought as it works with the zip drive just fine from what you said.
By hausa buga Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:54 pm
I Just picked up another 2000classic from the bay and it has the internal scsi to micro sd card with the card showing up as a JAZZCAT partition :) Hugely happy when JazzC popped on to the screen

It has a white bezel in the floppy slot and its amazing update to the classic

The card has one hit hat sampled so not used much and serviced

It works amazing and has a 4gb card and i've not had any problms so far

I am a bit worried thought that I can't have a second sd card with OS on

Has anyone managed to clone sd cards successfully?

i know with my xl i can drop the OS on the sd card but I obviously can't do this with this classic

Any ideas people?
cheers
hausa
By richie Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:30 pm
You can copy the OS over to another card just like you can with the XL.

Is your SCSI card reader not a hot swappable one?
By richie Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:00 pm
Since it is hot swappable, you can connect the CF card to a card reader on your computer, format it to FAT, copy the OS files over to the CF card and be done with it.