Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By nathakai Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:40 am
Thanks, appreciate it, I don't have OS 3.5 or CF drive in mine but still love !!!!.
By richie Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:16 pm
You should really upgrade to 3.5 when you get a chance and while you're at it, upgrade your scsi fuse so that you never have to worry about it again.
By Wal Martian Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 pm
classytouch wrote:If you sample audio in and assign it to a pad it doesn't sound the same as it does coming through the record screen. What's going on in there?

I've heard of the same thing happening on the 2000/2000xl. Trim screen is louder and "warmer" :roll: sounding than triggering the same sound in main screen. Could just be a quirk of the machine.
By classytouch Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:17 pm
Wal Martian wrote:
classytouch wrote:If you sample audio in and assign it to a pad it doesn't sound the same as it does coming through the record screen. What's going on in there?

I've heard of the same thing happening on the 2000/2000xl. Trim screen is louder and "warmer" :roll: sounding than triggering the same sound in main screen. Could just be a quirk of the machine.

Maybe it's the processing going on to keep the audio in the machine. It sounds like it squeezes the song down into a slightly smaller quieter version than the live signal coming through the record screen......Still sounds big though! I love it!
By Boef1 Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:14 pm
Here is the sound test I refered to a while back.
"I did a sound test back to back with the 3000 and the 60. Sampled a drum break at same level. Threshhold allmost the same. it workes a bit different on the two mpc. 3000 has the rec nob. 60 dosent. But I sampled the break in as loud as i could with out distorting the sound. put it out on seperate channels through my mixer. And to my surprise the 3000 was more punchier and loud and loud. "
By Boef1 Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:21 pm
richie wrote:I thought the "compression" was for compressing the actual size of file and not actual plugin type compression.

Also just an idea here -- were the gain settings on the 60 the same as the S3000 when sampling?

You are right about the compression. But thats what I meant. I like the funktion, I can give some nice artifacts and collor to the sound once in a while. And make your tracks fit in one floppy :)

About the gain setting. I used the Individual outs on both mashines on 100%, into my mixer on seperate channels on the same level.
I Have posted the video now btw.
By tapedeck Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm
Wal Martian wrote:

that and just the fact of digitising it. when its just running through the input screen you aren't hearing the actual sample, its just passing audio through it's own input circuitry. once you get it recorded, bits / samplerate will have an impact.
By classytouch Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:30 am
Boef1 wrote:Here is the sound test I refered to a while back.
"I did a sound test back to back with the 3000 and the 60. Sampled a drum break at same level. Threshhold allmost the same. it workes a bit different on the two mpc. 3000 has the rec nob. 60 dosent. But I sampled the break in as loud as i could with out distorting the sound. put it out on seperate channels through my mixer. And to my surprise the 3000 was more punchier and loud and loud. "

Wow. I didn't even know you posted this! The 60 sound sweet! The 3000 sound amazing! Big, warn, punchy, and clear. Great post! My 3000's going nowhere!
By Boef1 Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:21 am
classytouch wrote:
Boef1 wrote:Here is the sound test I refered to a while back.

Wow. I didn't even know you posted this! The 60 sound sweet! The 3000 sound amazing! Big, warn, punchy, and clear. Great post! My 3000's going nowhere!

Yeah it really came as a surprice.
When I get some more time I will do more back to back testing with the two units.
By dumbeat Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:
classytouch wrote:@ JUKE179r how have you been going about your file management in the 3000?

I have an internal SCSI2SD card reader with a 1GB SD card that is the same that you have, the 26 of the 32MB partitions. And I also have a RaizenMonster CF card reader installed in place of the floppy for hot swapping CF cards.[quote="JUKE 179r"]

Both scsi2sd and raizenmonster inside the machine?
How is that done?
By Spod Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:58 am
What's the final word for internal card readers in 3000s? I've got an external SCSI CF reader which is flaky and annoying and i'd like to have it all in one. Is the SD reader through the vent or the CF internal reader the better implementation, and where do you get them? So many dead links and out of date info around for this stuff.
By JUKE 179r Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:21 am
dumbeat wrote:Both scsi2sd and raizenmonster inside the machine?
How is that done?

I added both drives to my 3000LE (which was overkill) just to see if it could be done with Vailixi OS 3.5. They both work but I can only use one SCSI ID # at a time.
I used a SCSI ribbon cable with three 50-pin female connectors. 1 connector is for the SCSI2SD v5, the 2nd connector is for the RaizinMonster, and the 3rd connector is to the Artmix/Stratos Technology's MPC-SCSI interface. I also had to mod the old floppy drive's power connector to make 2 power connectors so it could power the SCSI2SD and RaizinMonster drives at the same time.

I'll post pictures of it tonight.

Spod wrote:What's the final word for internal card readers in 3000s? I've got an external SCSI CF reader which is flaky and annoying and i'd like to have it all in one. Is the SD reader through the vent or the CF internal reader the better implementation, and where do you get them? So many dead links and out of date info around for this stuff.

SCSI Card readers will work along with an Artmix/Stratos Technology's SCSI interface for $45 (or you can source the parts to build one) but it depends what you truly want for media storage in your 3000/LE.
I've seen some people wanting to keep their floppy drive and add the SD reader in the vent like you mentioned. I don't know where to source these from.
Other owners want to totally remove the floppy drive and add other SCSI drive options:
- SCSI ZIP drives suck balls since they are rare and eventually die,
- SCSI SCSI2SD v5 (not too sure about v6) drives are amazing since they have had ongoing firmware updates, can be programmed/updated on a PC/Mac via USB, it can be buss powered by using just the 50-pin SCSI ribbon cable, they cheap at $60ish, and Inertial Computing (Alex Perez) responds to emails if you have any issues.
- Artmix/Stratos Technology's RaizinMonster which costs more at $120 plus you have to solder in a ground wire or you'll get a nasty hum in your outputs from an unwanted ground loop.

IMHO... I'd go with the SCSI2SD and a mount bracket. I've installed them in quite a few client's MPC2000XL's and they worked flawlessly.
By Chet d Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:46 pm
..in 2019?

If I can jump in here,
Just got a 3000. Gotta say, Chris @Kanamit is a solid dude and fixed me up.

Although I have a solid analog/dig studio background, totally new to the MPC world.
Not looking for a total EZ pass, or to irritate you vets w hard earned skills but,
...Seems to be less available online in so far as 3000 type tutorials compared to other MPC's.

Having been down the road, would you focus on any particular aspects of wrapping your head around an efficient 3k workflow?
Any solid starting places or suggestions much appreciated.

Could chop in DAW and import but, will at least try to mess w the 3k w that. Bet some creative things can happen that way.
The sound, the sequencer, workflow are my main interests.
:worthy:
By Wal Martian Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:12 pm
tapedeck wrote:
Wal Martian wrote:I've heard of the same thing happening on the 2000/2000xl. Trim screen is louder and "warmer" :roll: sounding than triggering the same sound in main screen. Could just be a quirk of the machine.

that and just the fact of digitising it. when its just running through the input screen you aren't hearing the actual sample, its just passing audio through it's own input circuitry. once you get it recorded, bits / samplerate will have an impact.

I'm talking in TRIM screen, not SAMPLE screen. It makes sense sample screen would sound different than the recorded sound. I have read on this forum a few times people say previewing sounds in Trim is louder than main screen, even with Full Level on.