Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By bca Thu May 03, 2018 1:40 am
Destructive chopping results in samples with slightly shorter length than is specified in TRIM.

Example: if you take a sample with a length of 16000 and chop it into 16 even slices, then convert it to a new program, you'd expect each new individual sample to be 1000 long, right? Wrong--at least that's what my machine (1K, JJOS2XL v3.48). Each sample's length is 9439.

Needless to say, this doesn't play nicely when you assemble these chopped samples into a sequence @ the original samples's tempo.

Does anyone have a fix or work-around for this?
By nicokas Thu May 03, 2018 2:28 pm
I have never paid much attention to the length of the samples after cutting them.
Have you been careful to set the DECAY of each sample to 100? It seems to me that on JJOS2XL the DECAY of each sample is set to 80 by default, which can induce voids when played at their initial tempo.
By bca Thu May 03, 2018 6:51 pm
I'm not talking about the ADSR envelope, but rather the sample length itself in TRIM mode
By saltmcgault Wed May 16, 2018 3:25 pm
nicokas wrote:I have never paid much attention to the length of the samples after cutting them.
Have you been careful to set the DECAY of each sample to 100? It seems to me that on JJOS2XL the DECAY of each sample is set to 80 by default, which can induce voids when played at their initial tempo.

ive noticed that when chopping a sample and converting it to a program that the 3rd page the section when you hit "mode/program" where you can edit the volume decay veloicity etc etc. The last one which is labeled "R" not sure what it stands for.. is set to 20 i usually change it to 0 and the full section plays of that chopped sample. I also noticed with the free version of jjosxl when chopping the samples in slice mode it wasnt always sliced to where it was at before hitting "do it". Your best bet to get the pin point start and stop locations when chopping is using the non destructive method.
Last edited by saltmcgault on Fri May 18, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sharris Wed May 16, 2018 5:01 pm
Yea, I always chop non-destructive as well.
Normally when I chop a song I don't chop just once. I like to mess with different bpm's, pitch, tune, ect., which means I'm always adjusting the start & end points of my chops.

It might take more time, but non-destructive chopping gives you more freedom...... more options.
By bca Tue May 22, 2018 12:56 am
Yes, I also use non-destructive chop for most purposes. However, there are times when NDC won't do what you need it do. For example, as far as I know you cannot chop a break into unequally-sized parts with NDC.

Also, I'll reiterate that this incorrect length does NOT have anything to do with the Release setting of the amp envelope. I'm talking strictly about the sample length. Like I said, if in chop mode you set your Start and End points to 0 and 1000, you will expect your first slice to be 1000 long after you DO IT. But it's not; it's 950 or something around there.

It sounds like a bug, but if anyone knows a workaround, or perhaps something I'm doing wrong, I'd love to hear about it.
By bca Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:36 pm
Actually... nevermind. I discovered how to chop into unequally sized parts with NDC.

The work-around is just as people have suggested: just avoid destructive chop altogether and go with NDC.

Case closed