MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By alexbuga Tue May 08, 2018 11:45 am
Just in case anyone was wondering. When I pulled mine apart to paint it white, I've noticed that the internal storage of the unit is a tiny Micro SD card of 16GB. Which can be replaced.

The OS though is not on that card. It still boots without it.

So in case you were wondering how to upgrade the "Internal" memory partition, it's pretty easy. And you don't need to take the whole unit apart.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CKpgptbRv5Jg0Qjm2
By tapedeck Tue May 08, 2018 9:44 pm
Ill-Green wrote:I don't know, OS has to be programmed to accept higher GBs other than 16GB. Might work.

Pretty cool discovery I must say.

i think this was a bigger deal back in the day when everything was custom - nowadays, there is a good chance this will just work. if it doesnt, then yea it was definitely designed with that restriction on purpose.

somebody really should try this asap :mrgreen:
By richie Thu May 10, 2018 7:40 am
Since the Live is an embedded linux based OS, you should be able to create a partition on a new card and replace it.

First what someone needs to do is make an .img of the existing card, just to verify that there card is not created with multiple partitions.

Also, if you went so far to open it and try booting it without the card, why not try to replace the card to see if the Live recognizes it or asks you to initialize it?
By forsh Thu May 10, 2018 11:10 pm
There is no card in the slot... The slot has been disabled in the os

Unless you can make a custom firmware... Its useless

The storage is on the som board.. Radax rock2 cpu board.. Has the storage on it
They come in different flavours

2gb ram and 16gb storage
4gb ram and 32gb storage

Radax have stopped making these boards and akai bought them all...
By forsh Thu May 10, 2018 11:39 pm
The base board contains an internal micro-SD card reader, in addition to the external, full-size one which is connected via a USB header. The internal reader in mine has a 16GB card in it. This is the "internal storage" that the factory content is on. This is in addition to the eMMC, which is only used for system software. The base board also has a SATA connector, and a SATA-USB bridge - the RK3288 doesn't have real SATA.

Wifi and bluethooth are handled by a single module, with a single cable to an external aerial.

I stand corrected... Time to mess with that card :)
By forsh Fri May 11, 2018 8:10 am
Half way through copying sd contents to my computer funny it's only 9.5 gb... Then it's Linux ext format... Using disk internals Linux reader... Keep you updated on my progress... The mpc boots without the internal sd card in and the internal sd card just holds the instruments and samples etc.. Its not the os... Let's do this guys..
By forsh Fri May 11, 2018 9:50 am
Bit more info
The sd card internal doesn't need to have anything on to boot.. But it needs to have a sd card inside to boot.. It can also be any file system... Fatex fat32 or Linux ext etc

There needs to be 3 folders in the root of the sd carx

. Trash-1000
Expansions
Mpc documents

In the expansions folder there is 3 sub folders

CLIPS
INSTRUMENTS
THE VAULT 2

This is the internal files and packs etc

There can be other directory and files etc

So your expansions folder can have any amount of files and pack as you want
By forsh Fri May 11, 2018 9:55 am
Warranty is now void.. Small price to pay for extra internal space

So now I've got 32gb internal storage and 1tb hdd internal

Only do this is you have some experience in electronics and taking your Mpc apart.... All the screws on the bottom and the jack plug bolts on the back need to be taken off... Good luck guys.. I'll get some pictures up soon