MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By AWW~NAWW Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:07 am
Wow did you know that the more "Expansion" pack you have on your MPC LIVE (and I can only guess X as well) the more ram it take up in standalone mode? But if you just move them to a separate folder on the same drive the issue is no longer present.
Akai, what's with that?
By AWW~NAWW Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:45 pm
Yeah I had a ton of them. Probably 60 or more and it was way in the red. I couldn't even load a simple small project without it aborting the load up. I move them all over to another folder and the Akai(tm) ones to another separate folder and rebooted back into standalone mode the ram was completely empty. I even tried with firmware v 2.1, 2.2, and the latest 2.2.2.1. I'm currently running 2.1 due to the xy effect issue.
Having all of those pictures at the ready must take a toll on the unit.
@kaydigi If you Export your whole lot let us know how it came out for you.
By kaydigi Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:33 pm
AWW~NAWW wrote:Yeah I had a ton of them. Probably 60 or more and it was way in the red. I couldn't even load a simple small project without it aborting the load up. I move them all over to another folder and the Akai(tm) ones to another separate folder and rebooted back into standalone mode the ram was completely empty. I even tried with firmware v 2.1, 2.2, and the latest 2.2.2.1. I'm currently running 2.1 due to the xy effect issue.
Having all of those pictures at the ready must take a toll on the unit.
@kaydigi If you Export your whole lot let us know how it came out for you.

Man you just scared me off from doing it.
By kaydigi Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:22 pm
On a empty project with 16 Expansions installed the RAM indicator is a little above the the first tick. CPU is sitting at 2%.

These are official akai expansions that I just converted. I will install some third party ones during the week.
Last edited by kaydigi on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By AWW~NAWW Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:33 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
AWW~NAWW wrote:Yeah I had a ton of them. Probably 60 or more .

Are these homebrew expansions? Take a look at the pack image sizes, have they been optimised? Each one should be well under 500k IMO, but if it's an un-optimised PNG it could literally be something huge like 50MB per image.

You may have a point there. :idea: I counted my total number of expansions and I have 81. :shock:
I'll have to go through and maybe resize or change the format completely of each image. :( :lol:
By AWW~NAWW Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:31 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I can confirm that Expansion 'preview' images can drain system memory and slow down (or even disable) boot up. I wrote an article about it here.

Washed I had saw this earlier. I was just about to write how I had to dither down the size of each picture. A couple pictures were 20mb one was like 86mb. :shock:

Once this painstaking process was completed, my issue of the low memory warning had been resolved.

Another thing to note is, converting a"png" format vs a "jpeg" takes a little more work. Something about the"png" format won't let you just simply replace the old file with a new one. You have to drag the expansion into the expansion bulder, replace the old picture within that environment, and then rebuild the expansion.

Thanks you both for the info, insight, and knowledge.
Peace