MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By esummers91 Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:18 pm
I'm having issues with time signatures. First I'm having issues with time signatures. So for instance say I want a loop to be a 2.2 bar loop or a 2.4 bar loop instead of just a 2 bar loop. When I go to adjust the time signature , it goes straight from 2 bars to 3 bars and I can clearly see the 2.2 , 2.4 .2.6 , an 2.8 in the middle. I just can seem to end the loop at the ones in between. Can someone please help me. I'm in standalone mode. I definitely feel like I'm standing a lone on this issue.
By Elektrobolt Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:11 pm
I think what you mean is the loop points for the time counter. Time signatures cannot be 'changed' in standalone, a major drag. Anyway yes, this is very odd. So far, I haven't had the need to change the play loop (or locators) beyond whole bars, but of course, this is quote common in musical arrangements, e.g. for breaks, so I can totally see the need to be able to.

Many 'musical' things appears to have been neglected while developing the X/Live, but were probably chosen as 'later' things, because of time constraints. I would say that it's about time to get the fundamental parts of this implemented. Other examples:

• Time Signature (TS) needs to be editable, by bar. A default TS for new tracks and inserting new bars with TS is possible, but no existing TS can be changed.
  • Time Correct (TC) needs the ability to use Dotting in addition to the existing (T)riplets. These are just length values used by the quantizer, step sequencer, nudging, etc.

These are basic musical functions. Some probably more difficult than others to implement, but it seems to me that some are already used inside, they're just not accessible to us. PLEASE!
By MPC-Tutor Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:02 pm
While they are at it, TEMPO CHANGE events (found in legacy MPCs) would be jolly nice, that way we can automate tempo changes within a single sequence and SONG>SEQ conversions won't just adopt the first sequence tempo. Have submitted feature requests for this many times, surely MPC producers vary tempo occasionally?

And don't get me started on the inability to automate master level for song fade outs....
By Elektrobolt Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:43 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:While they are at it, TEMPO CHANGE events (found in legacy MPCs)

Yep, another pretty basic thing. (I also submitted for it, before I replied to your post.)

Good to know about it being a past thing (never owned an MPC before), thanks!
By JeriKo Jackson Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:05 pm
Time signature can be changed in standalone. It's a bit of a hack but...

From main screen tap the pencil icon for the sequence
Tap insert bars
Set how many bars and time signature and where to insert
It is then necessary to delete the previously existing bars
By Elektrobolt Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:09 pm
JeriKo Jackson wrote:Time signature can be changed in standalone. It's a bit of a hack but...

Tap insert bars

To say that a "Time signature can be changed in standalone.", is just silly. It cannot be done.

Your hack is an insert/delete of bars with TS. i.e. a replacement of bars, which is not the same as a changing the TS of bars. It is the appearance of the TS being changed, but the operation also removed everything else, any notes, automation and other events, etc.. If you say, one could copy/paste all those. I would respond that I changed everything but the TS, but the appearance is that only the TS was changed.

By these standards, Akai could remove a major part of their code base for easier maintenance and be less prone to errors. E.g. they could remove the ability to change the tempo within a project, and then claim that the tempo can be changed, if you create a new project with the new tempo and remove the old project. Or, why not remove the ability to change the length of a note and maintain that it can be changed, if you simply insert a new note with the new length and remove the old note.

Replacing (insert/delete) an object with values, is not the same as changing a value of an object.
By Caustic Yoda Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:29 pm
Im waiting to be able to export tempo changes from song mode to sequence, it doesnt work and uses the tempo of 1st sequencer, not sure why this is but song mode feels broken
By JeriKo Jackson Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:20 pm
Elektrobolt wrote:
JeriKo Jackson wrote:Time signature can be changed in standalone. It's a bit of a hack but...

Tap insert bars

To say that a "Time signature can be changed in standalone.", is just silly. It cannot be done.

Your hack is an insert/delete of bars with TS. i.e. a replacement of bars, which is not the same as a changing the TS of bars. It is the appearance of the TS being changed, but the operation also removed everything else, any notes, automation and other events, etc.. If you say, one could copy/paste all those. I would respond that I changed everything but the TS, but the appearance is that only the TS was changed.

By these standards, Akai could remove a major part of their code base for easier maintenance and be less prone to errors. E.g. they could remove the ability to change the tempo within a project, and then claim that the tempo can be changed, if you create a new project with the new tempo and remove the old project. Or, why not remove the ability to change the length of a note and maintain that it can be changed, if you simply insert a new note with the new length and remove the old note.

Replacing (insert/delete) an object with values, is not the same as changing a value of an object.

I don’t know what your on about :roll:

You change TS the way I said. So, for instance, you want 6/8 sequence instead of 4/4. Add the bars as 6/8, then delete the 4/4 bars. This is in standalone, and yes it works.

I agree it should be easy like on legacy mpc but the way I describe is not all that hard.
By machinesworking Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:28 am
Yeah I'm not getting this at all. a single Sequence having a single time signature makes perfect sense to me, you want a quarter note bar rest? one Sequence of one bar in 1/4. It's not a huge workaround, and it's a relevant way you might write it out in tabs.

The only frightening part to me is looking at a converted song with multiple time signatures and a few quarter not rests in it, how it wouldn't look at all right in a single time signature.

Maschine can't do this at all though, it's a total mess when it comes to multiple time signatures, so there's that.
By fancy_pance Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:13 pm
I think I would be fine just making a new sequence for each signature change, but the thing I don’t get is why you can’t easily adjust the sequence TS from the main screen. Meter is a basic attribute of music.

You can easily change tempo and length from the main screeen, why not meter?

TS was a part of the main screen of every classic MPC going back to the 60, and I think for good reason.

Perhaps the workaround isn’t an issue for folks who don’t work outside of 4 very often. But I think most people can imagine how annoying it would be to do an add/delete thing for, say, every sequence you wanted at a tempo other than 120.
By Elektrobolt Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:23 pm
JeriKo Jackson wrote:

Tap insert bars

I don’t know what your on about :roll:

You change TS the way I said. So, for instance, you want 6/8 sequence instead of 4/4. Add the bars as 6/8, then delete the 4/4 bars. This is in standalone, and yes it works.

I agree it should be easy like on legacy mpc but the way I describe is not all that hard.

If you don't understand what I am writing, why would you reply by repeating yourself. I did read what you wrote, and I didn't agree with your word play, I thought that was obvious, and hence my rather lengthy reply. Bring the conversation forward or not at all.

Anyways, maybe if they bring in the arranger from Force, they will have to include it.
By saltmcgault Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:40 pm
Elektrobolt wrote:If you don't understand what I am writing, why would you reply by repeating yourself. I did read what you wrote, and I didn't agree with your word play, I thought that was obvious, and hence my rather lengthy reply. Bring the conversation forward or not at all.

Anyways, maybe if they bring in the arranger from Force, they will have to include it.

It sounds like a simple workaround that answered the OP's question to me.
By JeriKo Jackson Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:02 pm
Thank you

saltmcgault wrote:
Elektrobolt wrote:If you don't understand what I am writing, why would you reply by repeating yourself. I did read what you wrote, and I didn't agree with your word play, I thought that was obvious, and hence my rather lengthy reply. Bring the conversation forward or not at all.

It sounds like a simple workaround that answered the OP's question to me.
By Caustic Yoda Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:22 pm
if i make tempo changes from different sequences in song mode then convert to seq it all gets the 1st tempo applied to it, so painful