Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Lazy Ray Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:58 am
Guys,

So, upcommin winter I think I'm gonna take the train to work. Rest of the year I go on the motorcycle. I thought it would be cool to have the option to make beats in the train, with a piece of hardware that's also useful when I'm at home. I'm thinking about buying a MPC 500. They go really cheap, and I guess it has enough features. I don't really like making beats with the SP303, I just use it for the filters and sound. So, the SP404 on battery isn't the best option. I could even just use my iPhone with the iMPC app... But the feel of hardware makes the whole experience a little nicer I guess.

I could take the 500 on vacation or in the bedroom etc, since I've got 3 children and I don't always have the time to boot everything in 'the lab'.

Are there any options that I do not think about? And what is your experience with making beats in the train and all?
By Lampdog Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:59 pm
MPC 500

Beatmaker 3 on IOS.

Are the first things that come to mind.

When I use to travel a lot I would pre-load my ipad with samples I wanted
into BM3 on ipad pro. It does everything I need and more. Absolutely kills impc.
By Ill-Green Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:14 pm
My experience on the train with the 500 was very annoying. People staring and asking what is that. By the time I explained it, I'm one stop away from my destination so couldn't really concentrate on my beat. There will always be a nosey **** on the train.

Thats why I take my portables to the swamps and stay there half a day, I get into the zone. Plus its full of mosquitos, they don't bother me but keeps away pesky humans :smoker:
By Lampdog Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:42 am
Ill-Green wrote:People staring and asking what is that.

I HATED when this use to happen to me on the ship.
Snatches the feeling right out of anything I was doing?
By Ill-Green Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:36 pm
Lampdog wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:People staring and asking what is that.

I HATED when this use to happen to me on the ship.
Snatches the feeling right out of anything I was doing?

I know, its like I'm having a dream with 3 brazilian girls and your dog wakes you up to take him out.
By Lazy Ray Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:07 pm
Hahaha, nice.

But uhm, the whole tablet / mobile thing is a serious option, I guess. I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" and I see Beatmaker 3 has an Android version. When I buy BM3, I can save the money to buy that ASR10 I want, haha.

But uhm, how easy is it to sample vinyl to a tablet, without using the PC or something? I've got a PT-01. Can I just go from tulip to mini jack and record? Never thought about it if the tablet mini jack was only output.

EDIT: Ok, maybe there is no Android version, haha.

EDIT 2: Ok, I guess FL Studio Mobile is a serious option.
By jmk Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:52 pm
Oh, wow. Around 1.5 years i was forced to getting to work on the bus (almost 2 hours one way). And every morning i have took my 500 with me. Yep, people stared at me but..so what? Made beats every morning and evening. Hmm...i think i have made 3 beattapes in the bus. And it was better than just watching in window or staring people back :mrgreen:
Ok. My point is that 500 is really good for making beats on the way. It is compact and powerful enough (for me).
By Lazy Ray Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:02 pm
Word! I don't care... Just searchin' for the best solution.

Did you grab your samples the day before?
By jmk Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:23 pm
I have uploaded bunches of whole songs to my 500 from time to time (on weekends usually). So every day i had something new to chop.
By inflict3 Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:46 pm
Go for it dude, from experience just don’t make eye contact with people while you work or they will try and ask you shit... one time I was on a plane flying to Tennessee slapping the **** outta the pads and a older guy tapped me on the shoulder and was like “that’s what’s up man, making some beats,, **** yea” loud in front of everyone, then a few rows kept looking..lol