Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By PillsInfinity Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:09 pm
loaded up some samples and my f6 button isn't working therefore i can't load them; any way around this i'm forgetting or should i just take it in to get it fixed/could i fix it myself?
By selecta jo Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:33 pm
hello!

first you could try if a factory reset cures the problem or if it might be a bad tact switch.

to reset the mpc press and hold the "erase"-button during power-up until the main screen shows up.
you might have to set your autoload and other preferences after that.

another way to use the F1 to F6 buttons is to attach a simple footswitch to one of the jacks at the front and then set the footswitch to toggle the F6-button.

to set up the footswitch go to mode->pad10(other), then F3 for the footswitch page.
there you can select what the footswitch should trigger.

hope that helps,

peace, jo
By PillsInfinity Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:03 pm
selecta jo wrote:hello!

first you could try if a factory reset cures the problem or if it might be a bad tact switch.

to reset the mpc press and hold the "erase"-button during power-up until the main screen shows up.
you might have to set your autoload and other preferences after that.

another way to use the F1 to F6 buttons is to attach a simple footswitch to one of the jacks at the front and then set the footswitch to toggle the F6-button.

to set up the footswitch go to mode->pad10(other), then F3 for the footswitch page.
there you can select what the footswitch should trigger.

hope that helps,

peace, jo

thanks but one more question; will the factory reset erase what's on my card or just the OS that's currently operating, i totally forgot because i haven't done a factory reset in a while.
By PillsInfinity Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:20 pm
i'm also not well versed in foot switches and hardware of that nature; would a sustain pedal work if it needs to get there? i know that was most likely a retarded question.
By saltmcgault Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:42 pm
PillsInfinity wrote:i'm also not well versed in foot switches and hardware of that nature; would a sustain pedal work if it needs to get there? i know that was most likely a retarded question.

MMCMERDA: there are two types of footswitches in the market, the on/off type (such as for changing from one channel to another in a guitar amp) and the contact switch (such as a sustain pedal for a piano or a drum trigger)
they basically do the same thing in function
the difference between the two is that the contact switch works as long as you keep it pressed (sustain pedal example)
the on/off turns on when you press it once, and keeps on until you press it again

drum triggers do work with the footswitch (if you connect a Pad to the footswitch port it will work)
but I would go for a drum module with all the triggers and connect them MIDI. Because of the amount of pads you can add
cheers

Factory erase will erase yout Internal memory, Cf card content will not be erased, either will your hard disk data. It's not a bad idea to back that stuff up anyways.
By selecta jo Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:53 am
from the mpc 2500 manual:

03. [FOOTSWITCH 1/2] plug:
This is where you connect a foot switch. You can use a foot switch to punch in/out. For more information, see the "Foot Switch" section on page 114. There are two types of foot switches: normal open (the contact is open when it is not pressed), and normal closed (the contact is closed when it is not pressed).
If a foot switch has been connected to the MPC2500, when you turn on the power to the MPC2500, it automatically detects the type of foot switch connected. You can use either type of foot switch.

if you have an old instrument cable and any kind of switch you could even build your own. technically it also would work if you only have a cable with one(!) tr-plug and loose wires on the other end. just plug the cable in (it would then be recognized by the mpc as an normally open switch type) and connect the loose wires for a moment to make contact (NOT RECOMENDED - just to see what is possible if you need a solution fast!).

peace, jo
By PillsInfinity Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:05 pm
selecta jo wrote:from the mpc 2500 manual:

This is where you connect a foot switch. You can use a foot switch to punch in/out. For more information, see the "Foot Switch" section on page 114. There are two types of foot switches: normal open (the contact is open when it is not pressed), and normal closed (the contact is closed when it is not pressed).
If a foot switch has been connected to the MPC2500, when you turn on the power to the MPC2500, it automatically detects the type of foot switch connected. You can use either type of foot switch.

if you have an old instrument cable and any kind of switch you could even build your own. technically it also would work if you only have a cable with one(!) tr-plug and loose wires on the other end. just plug the cable in (it would then be recognized by the mpc as an normally open switch type) and connect the loose wires for a moment to make contact (NOT RECOMENDED - just to see what is possible if you need a solution fast!).

peace, jo

thanks.

i tried resetting the os (jjos free) and it just ended up making my f5 stop working and when i press down also trigger something that makes the bottom of the screen trigger options that say (1-60) (1-64).

i heard theres something i could buy on mpcstuff to fix this problem but i forgot but do you have any idea what the actual problem may be?
By saltmcgault Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:54 pm
PillsInfinity wrote:
selecta jo wrote:from the mpc 2500 manual:

peace, jo

thanks.

i tried resetting the os (jjos free) and it just ended up making my f5 stop working and when i press down also trigger something that makes the bottom of the screen trigger options that say (1-60) (1-64).

i heard theres something i could buy on mpcstuff to fix this problem but i forgot but do you have any idea what the actual problem may be?

Try reinstalling to the original akai OS. Ive reinstalled jjos before on a friends 2500 and it was still acting janky. when I reinstalled the akai OS then to JJOS that fixed it. It was the PADS that were acting up though not the F buttons.
By PillsInfinity Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:46 pm
saltmcgault wrote:
Try reinstalling to the original akai OS. Ive reinstalled jjos before on a friends 2500 and it was still acting janky. when I reinstalled the akai OS then to JJOS that fixed it. It was the PADS that were acting up though not the F buttons.

Bet, i would try this but f5 and f6 both aren't working so i can't really access executing anything through the os.
By saltmcgault Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:57 pm
PillsInfinity wrote:
saltmcgault wrote:

Bet, i would try this but f5 and f6 both aren't working so i can't really access executing anything through the os.

try a factory reset i don’t think you need the f buttons for that.
By Sharris Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:06 pm
Whenever a button stops working on 1 of my MPC's, I replace the tact switch & that fixes the issue. They're really easy to replace & MPC Stuff sells tact switches, but overpriced. What I did was look up the part number or whatever (details of the tact switch) then I bought a pack of like 20 on ebay for cheap.

You'll need a soldering iron as well........... not sure if you know how to solder....... but I've never soldered anything or fixed electronics before & I was able to replace tact switches no problem.

Apparently there are other possibilities per the above posts, but if you reinstalled the Akai os then reinstalled JJOS & it's still not working there is a really really good chance it is the tact switch.
By PillsInfinity Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:32 pm
Sharris wrote:Whenever a button stops working on 1 of my MPC's, I replace the tact switch & that fixes the issue. They're really easy to replace & MPC Stuff sells tact switches, but overpriced. What I did was look up the part number or whatever (details of the tact switch) then I bought a pack of like 20 on ebay for cheap.

You'll need a soldering iron as well........... not sure if you know how to solder....... but I've never soldered anything or fixed electronics before & I was able to replace tact switches no problem.

Apparently there are other possibilities per the above posts, but if you reinstalled the Akai os then reinstalled JJOS & it's still not working there is a really really good chance it is the tact switch.

i think it's a tact switch but will a couple faulty tact switches just affect how other selectable functions are selected until you replace them? i re-installed both os's and then the same issues were still prevalent and i also learned as far as f5 or f6 (i forgot) it was stuck as highlighting "solo" until i pushed down the corresponding footswitch.

what do you or anybody else think about that?
By PillsInfinity Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:48 am
PillsInfinity wrote:
Sharris wrote:Whenever a button stops working on 1 of my MPC's, I replace the tact switch & that fixes the issue. They're really easy to replace & MPC Stuff sells tact switches, but overpriced. What I did was look up the part number or whatever (details of the tact switch) then I bought a pack of like 20 on ebay for cheap.

i think it's a tact switch but will a couple faulty tact switches just affect how other selectable functions are selected until you replace them? i re-installed both os's and then the same issues were still prevalent and i also learned as far as f5 or f6 (i forgot) it was stuck as highlighting "solo" until i pushed down the corresponding footswitch.

what do you or anybody else think about that?

it turns out that kind of was the case, didn't replace the tact switches due to being a pu55y and lack of time but deoxit definitely solved a good 70% of the problems that arose with f6 not working when applied to f6 and f5.