Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By thelox10 Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:11 pm
Hi,

im about to buy me a ensoniq eps 16+ and i want to know how the sampling works.

can i record from my turntable into my eps? how do i put my own sounds into the eps ( how can i edit the discs)?

thanks
By Lampdog Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:52 pm
I haven’t used my ASR-10 in a long while so I can’t even begin to fire off the dome answers to you.
By martel80 Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 pm
You can certainly sample your turntable into your EPS 16+

I have a EPS 16+ .

You need to press sample, choose your options , sample rates and set the treshold ( the little ll on the display after the *) that will make an automatic start when it reach that treshold. You can also set your prerecording in milisecond. Mine is usually around 40 ms.
when youre ready you press Yes/Enter.
-Start your sample on your turntable.
When youre done press Yes/Enter
Itll ask you the root key....press whatever key you want your orginal sample to be triggered with ,,,the way im set , the rest of the key just up or downpitch the sample.
It should also ask you where should your sample start and end....if its a loop or a one shot or backward...etc...
When youre done you should have a sample on the instrument bank that you chose.
repeat if you want to put more but be aware that your sample time is pretty limited on a EPS.

I just got an ASR10 today and Christ sake, this **** is pumping my blood. She doesnt want to cooperate at all. Very slugish and just hanging doing jack shit.
By Lampdog Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:54 pm
You think it could be the OS disk?
By martel80 Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:53 am
Lampdog wrote:You think it could be the OS disk?

That was me skipping step.

Also, the ASR-10 prefer when you take your time with it. You cant go in her panties 5 minute after she entered your bedroom.

Also, It seems like it doesnt like to be fully loaded with sample. I seems like whenever I reach 60 to 75% of total record time, she start misbehaving.

Ive worked with her on 2 beat so far and damn son, shes pretty.
By Lampdog Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:08 am
I used to record like 15mb with vocals and everything, full songs in my asr-10 [no other gear, all I had was an ASR back then) and never had problems. I’d have millions of floppies of vocals, singing and rapping.
By saltmcgault Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:11 pm
I want to get an asr10 rack but for how much they want for them on ebay and the risk of it being janked up and the time and cost of trouble shooting and trying to fix it is terrifying.
By Lampdog Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:40 pm
ASR’s are a magical peice of old hardware, but, if had no keyboard or sampler right now, I wouldn’t buy it. I only keep mine because it taught me A LOT and it’s sentimental. I don’t remember last time I turned it on. Maybe once earlier this year to test something out for a friend.

All of that repair, upgrade, upkeep. Is it worth it for what you are looking for? Gotta find a balance for needs, wants, willingness to put up with old technology issues and wallet size.
By saltmcgault Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:17 pm
Lampdog wrote:ASR’s are a magical peice of old hardware, but, if had no keyboard or sampler right now, I wouldn’t buy it. I only keep mine because it taught me A LOT and it’s sentimental. I don’t remember last time I turned it on. Maybe once earlier this year to test something out for a friend.

All of that repair, upgrade, upkeep. Is it worth it for what you are looking for? Gotta find a balance for needs, wants, willingness to put up with old technology issues and wallet size.

To have it i think so. I'm about to pull the trigger. theres a rack on ebay for $650 that looks like its in decent condition. (fingers crossed)
By saltmcgault Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:19 pm
Lampdog wrote:ASR’s are a magical peice of old hardware, but, if had no keyboard or sampler right now, I wouldn’t buy it. I only keep mine because it taught me A LOT and it’s sentimental. I don’t remember last time I turned it on. Maybe once earlier this year to test something out for a friend.

It will be a learning expierince as well but im sure it isnt rocket science.
By Lampdog Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:29 pm
Have you had an asr before? It’s ALL manual, there is nothing automatic about it.
It taught me a lot. My most used feature HAD to be “COPY PARAMS” in order to manipulate copies of samples without destroying the original. A 5kb non-destructive copy of the original sample.

COPY DATA would make a physical copy, doubling the space/storage.

Tip: Reduce sample rate on your deep/sub bass as far as you can, it will sound the same but astronomically save space/storage.
By saltmcgault Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:07 pm
Lampdog wrote:Have you had an asr before? It’s ALL manual, there is nothing automatic about it.
It taught me a lot. My most used feature HAD to be “COPY PARAMS” in order to manipulate copies of samples without destroying the original. A 5kb non-destructive copy of the original sample.

COPY DATA would make a physical copy, doubling the space/storage.

Tip: Reduce sample rate on your deep/sub bass as far as you can, it will sound the same but astronomically save space/storage.

No i havent had an asr before. I'm aware to an extent of how manual the hardware is. The idea of using it is taking samples depending on what the sample is laying effects on in changing tune pitch etc. etc. at my dismay of how im wanting it to sound then sampling into the mpc then loop/chop or what ever same with the samples and drums and then bang that shit out in the mpc in sequences and then song mode then record into ableton. By having the effects already in place on the samples then i can still mulit track into ableton Thats what i have in mind. Ive noticed that when trying to multi track into ableton. lets say i have hpf fx using qlink on a sample on Track 2 when trying to mulit track record in ableton all tracks would sound fine except track 2. It sucks because i ususally have fx's on more than 1 track. I think in the long hall when i get close to what im wanting it will be all worth. sorry if i made you dumber by reading this. :lol: