MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Bezo Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:18 pm
I'm shopping for a 500GB-1TB SSD, I would typically go with Samsung or SanDisk but both seem to have complaints about a recent run of drives from July.

Anyone using a recently purchased Samsung or SanDisk SSD with no problems?

What other brands have good reputations? Crucial, WD, OWC...?

Thanks!
Last edited by Bezo on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Bezo Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:02 pm
kaydigi wrote:Running 3 sandisk ssd’s “. Two of them just purchased in June.
Thanks! I wish there was a way I could guaranty the arrival of a pre-July SSD.
By Bezo Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:59 pm
justineastwick wrote:I bought a 1TB SSD from Best Buy, popped it in, formatted it and it works...
What brand? And when?
By JUKE 179r Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:16 am
Don't buy a Samsung 860 Evo SSD.
After reading the amazing reviews on them, I bought 2 drives from Newegg. A 1TB for my wife's 8,1 MBP and a 500GB for my MPC4000. Both SSDs died within 3 months. :evil:
I finally received RMA instructions yesterday and mailing them in for replacement to New Jersey today.
By Bezo Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:20 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:Don't buy a Samsung 860 Evo SSD.
After reading the amazing reviews on them, I bought 2 drives from Newegg. A 1TB for my wife's 8,1 MBP and a 500GB for my MPC4000. Both SSDs died within 3 months. :evil:
I finally received RMA instructions yesterday and mailing them in for replacement to New Jersey today.
Yeah, a lot of folks had the same experience with a recent run of Samsung SSDs.
By Transmisser Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:27 pm
Bezo wrote:
justineastwick wrote:I bought a 1TB SSD from Best Buy, popped it in, formatted it and it works...
What brand? And when?

I also got my Sandisk SSD from Best Buy. I got mine for $189. Model is:

SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 1024TB

I provided that information to Dan a few days before this bug fix update for slow boot times when he was trying to gather information on the kinds of HDD's people were using. He said it should be fixed! I'll report back when I get my replacement X this coming Monday.

Outside of the longer boot time issue, which I think was more a general bug than a specific manufacturer's HDD, it's worked great for me. It seems like the general consensus is to steer clear of Samsung stuff.
By aes-one Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:11 am
I have been using a Samsung 850 Pro SSD 1TB for over a year now with no problems. The Pro is supposed to be a step above the Evo models, so hopefully there won't be any issues with the Pro. So far so good for me!
By Yorgos Arabatzis Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:12 am
+1 from me too..The Pro series is steady as a rock!
aes-one wrote:I have been using a Samsung 850 Pro SSD 1TB for over a year now with no problems. The Pro is supposed to be a step above the Evo models, so hopefully there won't be any issues with the Pro. So far so good for me!
By JUKE 179r Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:06 pm
Yorgos Arabatzis wrote:+1 from me too..The Pro series is steady as a rock!
aes-one wrote:I have been using a Samsung 850 Pro SSD 1TB for over a year now with no problems. The Pro is supposed to be a step above the Evo models, so hopefully there won't be any issues with the Pro. So far so good for me!

Good to know. Cheers!
By Bezo Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:16 pm
Transmisser wrote:I also got my Sandisk SSD from Best Buy. I got mine for $189. Model is:

SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 1024TB

I provided that information to Dan a few days before this bug fix update for slow boot times when he was trying to gather information on the kinds of HDD's people were using. He said it should be fixed! I'll report back when I get my replacement X this coming Monday.

Outside of the longer boot time issue, which I think was more a general bug than a specific manufacturer's HDD, it's worked great for me. It seems like the general consensus is to steer clear of Samsung stuff.
Not sure if it's the exact same model, but I see a 2017 release of the Ultra 3D. This could be it. Thanks!

The Pro is twice the price. Other than hopefully working without incident, does the Pro do anything special the Live actually uses? Noticeable speed difference?

----

On second thought, the issues folks are generally having with recently released Samsung drives are not with an MPC Live of course. I wonder if I should even be concerned.

Thanks folks!
By handed Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:45 am
Hi there, I’ve got a Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVME SSD drive. I’m about to buy a Live - will this drive work with it?