Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By terry towelling Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:45 pm
this is a well known issue -- but a quick search didn't reveal any electrical engineers chiming in with how to fix the power supply.
i presume it's not simply a matter of replacing the capacitors in the power supply. but rebuilding power supplies is simple and straightforward and the easiest way to improve old gear. when i get back home in a month i'll rebuild the power supply and see how it goes.
By richie Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:49 pm
Replacing 30 year old caps for new ones can't hurt but I do not think it'll help with the heat issues at all.
By saltmcgault Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:53 pm
terry towelling wrote:thanks for the tip on avoiding overheating, origami....i've been restricting my asr sessions to 30 minute, then it overheats.
but there is no way i'm breaking up my beloved set of cuisenaire rods (vintage from early '70s). crappy bit of **** lego should do the job.
beautiful set-up, by the way.

and salt..congrats on the purchase. when i first got my asr, i was amazed at how good everything sounds...so amazed that i tried to see if it is possible to make a sample that sounded bad...i didn't have any luck. closest i got was sampling a finger nail on a chalk board, adding ring modulation and guitar amp distortion. but even that sounded good.

thanks man it should be here thursday.. like an early christmas for myself. :smoker: not even sure where to even start when i get it. rearranging my bed/studio/living/dining all in one room tonight.
By golden-era Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:28 am
I have owned several ASR-10 keyboards here so pretty similar to the EPS-16. Fire away on questions, but i will be honest i am a basic type of beat maker. 90s style east coast stuff. I save to floppy, sample in mono, reduce bit rates, lots of loops, chops, etc. These machines can do it all. I even use that bad Q word - Quantize !! Get familiar with step edit, while it takes a lot of manual labor to move notes i find it is a necessity because these machines having timing issues.

But EPS 16 plus is a sick machine, i just was listening to the 1st Cann Ox album and El-P heavily used it and man is that some hot s*it! Also even if you dislike Aesop Rock his production largely done by Blockhead all ASR-10 keyboard and you couldnt tell, seems like DAW type programming. And that has to be due to step edit function. Do we even need to mention RZA.

The keyboards are tools, you can make same stuff on MPCs, DAWs or SP1200s as i have owned all in the past few years.
Last edited by golden-era on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By saltmcgault Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:46 am
golden-era wrote:I have owned several ASR-10 keyboards here so pretty similar to the EPS-16. Fire away on questions, but i will be honest i am a basic type of beat maker. 90s style east coast stuff. I save to floppy, sample in mono, reduce bit rates, lots of loops, chops, etc. These machines can do it all. I even use that bad Q word - Quantize !! Get familiar with step edit, while it takes a lot of manual labor to move notes i find it is a necessity because these machines having timing issues.

But EPS 16 plus is a sick machine, i just was listening to the 1st Cann Ox album and El-P heavily used it and man is that s*it! Also even if you dislike Aesop Rock his production largely done by Blockhead all ASR-10 keyboard and you couldnt tell, seems like DAW type programming. And that has to be due to step edit function. Do we even need to mention RZA.

The keyboards are tools, you can make same stuff on MPCs, DAWs or SP1200s as i have owned all in the past few years.

Yeah this thing is dope just going through the manual going through it step by step it helps a lot owning an mpc. just recording samples through into the mpc and drumbrks with diff effect then chopping them up and layering them is pretty **** awesome. I think it was money well spent. i will keep you in mind if i have any questions. thanks :smoker: