Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By huh? Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm
Been a user of the 3000 for 10 years. 2500 intrigues me in a sense it can be operated almost as in all-in-one box (no more tracking out into Pro Tools), takes Compact Flash Card as a default (no more zip disks), resampling feature (big reason for me), burn your beats onto CD (yeah I still mess with CD's). Just to name a few. I remember back in early 2006 I always thought the 2500 or the 1000 was going to be my introduction to the MPC, but a local musician/producer changed all that when he had his 3000 for sale.

Anybody come from the 3000 to a 2500?
By JUKE 179r Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:21 pm
The 2500 is dope af with the JJOS-XL! :nod:
By richie Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:51 pm
I don't see how wanting to move to a machine that offers you far more options is crazy. The pros in my opinion outweigh the cons.
By saltmcgault Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:24 am
huh? wrote:So you guys would replace your 3000 for the 2500? I use to want the 4000 but uhhhh a little overkill.

don’t replace the 3000.. let a little of the inner gear whore out and just get one.
By huh? Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:32 am
saltmcgault wrote:
huh? wrote:So you guys would replace your 3000 for the 2500? I use to want the 4000 but uhhhh a little overkill.

don’t replace the 3000.. let a little of the inner gear whore out and just get one.

I’m not one to keep equipment in storage. I really believe music equipment is meant to be used, not storaged because if that was the case, 10 years ago I would’ve never had the chance to purchase and use the 3000 that I own today (original owner went all in the box and could’ve kept it for sentimental reasons). So the 2500 is a win?
By huh? Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:19 am
I’m also not one to use multiple equipment/machine as it gets overwhelming for me. I try to utilize and master whatever machine I have.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:53 pm
huh? wrote:I’m also not one to use multiple equipment/machine as it gets overwhelming for me. I try to utilize and master whatever machine I have.

How will the using the 2500 improve your music, over using the 3000? From what you've listed everything is saving, tracking, and burning. You've mention re sampling, is that a big enough reason for you to switch?

I know lots of people do not like tracking out the music in real time. But just keep in mind that musicians who record and play live acoustic instruments have been doing it for decades. That's how we capture that human timing, swing, and the natural push pull. :nod:

Perhaps look into getting something, that adds to your production and not just duplicate another piece. What is your current gear chain/setup?
By JVC Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:46 pm
It is quite understandable that you want to move to MPC2500 from MPC3000. You've just listed all the benefits.
I still dream about owning MPC3000 sometimes (I have MPC-2000XL w/ 8-out & non-swappable card reader), but I also picture myself that I won't be using it much. For me, vrey limited file manangement ability (SCSI only, no IDE, 32MB partition limit, no folder support) and no track mute would annoy me for sure...
By huh? Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:30 pm
That’s debatable about adding something to the 3000. I’ve always used the 3000 standalone and made all my beats within just the machine alone (I sample all my sounds in).

I use the 3000 and Protools. Extremely minimal. Make the beat then track out (sometimes straight 2-track and no separation). No keyboards, no MIDI.

I guess you could say the switch is due to boredism? I spend almost 12hrs of the day in front of this machine. Just getting a little tired of seeing it you could say. Sorta like how The Alchemist got bored and switched from the ASR-10 to the 2500.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:39 pm
huh? wrote:That’s debatable about adding something to the 3000. I’ve always used the 3000 standalone and made all my beats within just the machine alone (I sample all my sounds in).

I use the 3000 and Protools. Extremely minimal. Make the beat then track out (sometimes straight 2-track and no separation). No keyboards, no MIDI.

I guess you could say the switch is due to boredism? I spend almost 12hrs of the day in front of this machine. Just getting a little tired of seeing it you could say. Sorta like how The Alchemist got bored and switched from the ASR-10 to the 2500.

I found that stagnation occurs when we've reached the limits of our musical knowledge. Do you feel like your music is stuck? Not inspired? Doing the same thing over and over? Perhaps try creating music in different modes, using different melodies, change your technique, stop sampling and make music from live instruments. Perhaps you're not exploring the vast landscapes of music that we have at our disposable.

We as artist, are always searching. The worst thing we can do is stand still, doing the same thing over and over like it's an office job. Flip your routine, change your creative space, hang out with more creative people. Find that muse, that pushes your creative hunger.
By huh? Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:27 pm
I think about stuff like that all the time. Hence, if you go to my previous post from a few years ago, I was still thinking the same thing by replacing the 3000 but here I am today still...... with the 3000. I know their are other things and forms to take factor rather then taking the easy route by “purchasing new gear”. I think that’s why I’m so hesitant. Maybe it’s a sign.

But on the other side of my brain, I do think of things like, if I buy this new machine, would it improve my workflow? Why did 9th Wonder switch from FL to MPC to Maschine when it all does the same thing? Just a thought.
By saltmcgault Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:43 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
huh? wrote:That’s debatable about adding something to the 3000. I’ve always used the 3000 standalone and made all my beats within just the machine alone (I sample all my sounds in).

I found that stagnation occurs when we've reached the limits of our musical knowledge. Do you feel like your music is stuck? Not inspired? Doing the same thing over and over? Perhaps try creating music in different modes, using different melodies, change your technique, stop sampling and make music from live instruments. Perhaps you're not exploring the vast landscapes of music that we have at our disposable.

We as artist, are always searching. The worst thing we can do is stand still, doing the same thing over and over like it's an office job. Flip your routine, change your creative space, hang out with more creative people. Find that muse, that pushes your creative hunger.

I feel like im in a beat block slump right now. I'm sampling and slapping stuff up but when if comes to the point where i like it and want to start tracking it out. i feel like im stuck. I think im beat battled out. i'm stuck on wanting to finish a project and then i start think of another unfinished beat and i end up not geting anything done although i have made some pretty knarly drum kits to say the least.