Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By 606snareisfair Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:12 am
Original title was kind of of joke to see how active the forum was, and to brag about my new(old) gear

I am new to the forum and want to thank everyone for thier suggestions.
Last edited by 606snareisfair on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
By saltmcgault Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:59 am
you’re going to want a computer with a daw and a audio interface if you want to be able to record into the daw. you’ll also need some love, time, determination, and a imagination. good luck make sure to post some shit in here. there’s also beat battle section on here that will improve your skills dramatically.
By 606snareisfair Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:19 am
saltmcgault wrote:you’re going to want a computer with a daw and a audio interface if you want to be able to record into the daw. you’ll also need some love, time, determination, and a imagination. good luck make sure to post some **** in here. there’s also beat battle section on here that will improve your skills dramatically.

Really would like to stay away from DAWS/computers entirely hence THE 8 track. It has preamps and all. I just want to midi up where everthing is sequenced through my mpc
By Lampdog Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:31 pm
8 trk is a most likely a mixer of sorts too right? What brand, model so we can see it?
All audio from gear go into 8 trk correct? If it doesn't have enough inputs for all other outputs to go into it then maybe a separate mixer or you can just swap cables for multiple recording passes.

Does the 1k have enough midi ports for all your gear or do you need an midi patchbay?

How many channels is the DJ Mixer, can it be used for other inputs and stuff too?

These are questions you can ask yourself and figure out. Just look at your gear and see what you need.
By Sharris Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 pm
This is just my opinion, but from your post & the title, I would say you not only don't need anything else, you should start with 1 thing at a time. It seems like you're overwhelmed.

What I mean is, hook up the MPC, turntable & mixer & just use that to start. When you feel ready to add something else, like bass, hook it up & add bass. Ect, ect, ect. Even if it's the same day, just go by how you feel, you don't need everything all at once hooked up, right now, to make music.

If you do 1 thing at a time........& just DO IT....you will learn. You will KNOW what you need. When you come up against a roadblock, like how do I midi my synth or how do I sample my bass, you can work on 1 issue at a time, which is way easier to handle then everything at once. You can do research & easily find the answer. You will have a specific question that people can help you with.

Before you know it, you will have everything the way you want it & ready to go :)

In all honesty reading your post I can't figure out what serious help you need ASAP. I'm just saying.....not trying to be a b1tch..... just trying to help......
By Sharris Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:31 pm
Thanks Lampdog :worthy:

I want to add that I can tell you (606snareisfair) have some experience with gear & I do see you ARE asking some specific questions (below is just kind of expanding on Lampdog's questions above)......

Do you need a separate mixing board?
No. You can plug whatever you have straight into your digital recorder.
BUT, a mixer could be useful, it just depends on what you want to do. For example a mixer will give you more routing options & will allow you to not have to unplug things often. My mixer allows me to sample whatever I want into whatever sampler I want without having to unplug anything (a patchbay is another option). I also have guitar pedals plugged in for effects & I can apply them to whatever I want.

You want to midi up your gear & control it with your MPC -
The MPC 1000 only has 2 midi outs. If you want to control EVERYTHING at once (that has midi), the most you can control with just the MPC 1000 is 2 devices. UNLESS any of them have midi thru, then you would plug the midi out of your MPC to that device & midi thru of the device with midi thru to the next device (they would share the midi channels of the MPC midi out you have it connected to). You can also get like a midi hub or something, but I don't know much about midi hubs & midi interfaces. As far as I know you would still only have the 32 midi channels the MPC 1000 offers, but instead of only having 2 midi out ports the midi hub would give you the additional midi ports.
By Lampdog Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 pm
Hubs are so you don’t have as many “hops” in and thru MIDI ports of several peices of gear (old school daisy chaining - lot’s of latency). The hub would spit input to several outputs. The rcvr can be assigned to whatever channel he needs to be on.

That’s just the very basic of midi hubs.

I use my mpc 4k as midi midi hub since I don’t do elaborate setups.
By saltmcgault Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:01 am
Lampdog wrote:Hubs are so you don’t have as many “hops” in and thru MIDI ports of several peices of gear (old school daisy chaining - lot’s of latency). The hub would spit input to several outputs. The rcvr can be assigned to whatever channel he needs to be on.

That’s just the very basic of midi hubs.

I use my mpc 4k as midi midi hub since I don’t do elaborate setups.

I've tried getting down with midi the latency just seems too much offtime i wish it wasn't like that.
By 606snareisfair Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:26 am
Guys I want to thank you for all your help.

YES, I will be adding a MAIN mixer with plenty of tracks/midi inputs/XLRs. The 8 track is a Fostex MR8 so i may have to do some dubbing but no big deal, the audio quality is pretty good.(Choice of high or low audio compression rates for quality or space) The Fostex has no vocal compression but the main mixer does and I figure I will use the main mixer for vocal tracks in my new pop up studio.
I do need a decent set of studio monitors, right now im using a stereo fender twin reverb amplifier.
Also interested in decent vocal mics for reasonable prices, I'm already a couple grand in.
By 606snareisfair Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:34 am
Sharris wrote:This is just my opinion, but from your post & the title, I would say you not only don't need anything else, you should start with 1 thing at a time. It seems like you're overwhelmed.

What I mean is, hook up the MPC, turntable & mixer & just use that to start. When you feel ready to add something else, like bass, hook it up & add bass. Ect, ect, ect. Even if it's the same day, just go by how you feel, you don't need everything all at once hooked up, right now, to make music.

If you do 1 thing at a time........& just DO IT....you will learn. You will KNOW what you need. When you come up against a roadblock, like how do I midi my synth or how do I sample my bass, you can work on 1 issue at a time, which is way easier to handle then everything at once. You can do research & easily find the answer. You will have a specific question that people can help you with.

Before you know it, you will have everything the way you want it & ready to go :)

In all honesty reading your post I can't figure out what serious help you need ASAP. I'm just saying.....not trying to be a b1tch..... just trying to help......

I don't know what I was looking to have answered. just to hear opinions i guess, I'm generally going to do my own thing whether its right or wrong, whatever works for me.
By Lampdog Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:17 pm
606snareisfair wrote:I'm generally going to do my own thing whether its right or wrong, whatever works for me.

No matter what anyone says or advises, THIS is what it always comes down to. :lol: :lol:
And it's exactly how we all learn what we want at first vs what we need after we've finished shedding our baby teeth.