Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By hashhh Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:44 pm
So I make a song in mpc software and it's not loud enough. When I put the song into a daw and I check loudness of this song, it tells me -23 lufs. So, I try to change the loudness to -14 lufs and 808, hi hats, snares are too much in your ears like the rest of the song. Any tips? I would appreciate if you guys could help me out.
By The Jackal Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:43 am
Well, unlike most people these days, at least you don't have the problem of brickwalling everything to shit with limiters & compression and making it all too hot & spicy. I would check into proper gain staging & mixing to find out where the volume is becoming a problem. There's the output volume of your gear itself, then how your samples & sounds were recorded themselves, their input gain control into the mixer/DAW, the volume of the channel they're mixed on, and finally where everything is mixed as one signal; usually you address those 5 things one step at a time to set up a proper mix.
By Cockdiesel Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:21 pm
If you haven’t already calibrate your monitors and gear. Use test tones and loudness meters. Daws have test tones, and you can get a loudness meter app for your phone.

There is a lot of simple tutorials on the net for both.
By saltmcgault Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:23 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:If you haven’t already calibrate your monitors and gear. Use test tones and loudness meters. Daws have test tones, and you can get a loudness meter app for your phone.

There is a lot of simple tutorials on the net for both.

Probably not a bad idea to do that myself i garuntee my shit is all over the place.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:20 am
I would suggest to stop buying gear right now and spends money correcting 3 things.

1. Your Room
2. Your Room
3. Your Room

If you have not done the three things listed above, the only thing to fix your issue is.

1. Mix your music somewhere else, with a properly corrected room.
By Lampdog Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:34 pm
Cases wrote:Don't worry about loudness, worry about balance of every instrument and frequency.

Get gainstaging right, make sure to record around -18Db max. Don't use compression at a early stage, as this eatens headroom.

Get knowledge.

+5000

@op, once I figured this out years ago, my shit started to playback EXACTLY how I wanted it all my different
headphones, mobile devices and car system.
By hashhh Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:09 pm
Thanks for all the answers, I forgot about this thread. Anyways, the more I was making beats, I stopped having problems with loudness of my beats.