MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Auditor Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:48 pm
Just got a Live delivered to my house, and I'm spending the day going through the manual. Already got a question (which is probably covered somewhere in there, but didn't find it with ctrl-f).

So I chopped a sample to some pads and have it loaded in a new program. The sound is a bit low, so I go to effects to add some master compression. How the h do make it assign the effect to ALL pads and not just the one that was last pressed? I have gone to EDIT ZONES>Mode>ALL, but it's still only assigns the effect to the last pad I pressed.

Thanks for any help, and glad to be part of the community!
By Auditor Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:05 pm
OriginalProducer wrote:why not normalise at first?

Like I said, I'm pretty much brand new to this thing (I used MPC's back in the late 90's, but its been a while). Haven't gotten to normalization in the manual yet. Still, I'm guessing in the future I'll also want to add effects to all pads at once...
By Fanu Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:13 pm
menu>channel mixer…and add it as an insert effect there.
you can boost track level by 6 dB in that view.
you can also boost pad levels in pad mixer.

a compressor per se is not an ideal way to add level...it's often a misunderstood device in this context.
By Auditor Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:16 pm
Fanu wrote:menu>channel mixer…and add it as an insert effect there.
you can boost track level by 6 dB in that view.
you can also boost pad levels in pad mixer.

a compressor per se is not an ideal way to add level...it's often a misunderstood device in this context.

Thank you!! And yeah, I know how comps work. I'm just trying to get to grips with the Live a bit on my first day with it, not trying to pump out a polished track yet :smoker:
By NearTao Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:14 pm
Don’t forget that the pads on the MPC are pressure sensitive, so when you’re adjusting the levels through normalize or other means, you may want to use FULL LEVEL just to see what the maximum output is to make sure you aren’t still too quiet, or possibly clipping, depending on how you set it up.
By Auditor Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:33 pm
NearTao wrote:Don’t forget that the pads on the MPC are pressure sensitive, so when you’re adjusting the levels through normalize or other means, you may want to use FULL LEVEL just to see what the maximum output is to make sure you aren’t still too quiet, or possibly clipping, depending on how you set it up.

Good tip, thanks!