Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Wesley Wayne Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:49 am
So as the heading states,
The zip drive died & my OS is 1.14, I've already procured a CF reader but have read it won't read it if the OS isn't upgraded to 1.2.
If the stock zip drive is fried (doesn't read it, doesn't want to eject disk), does anyone have an alternative idea to get the OS up to snuff?

Maybe hunt around for another zip or floppy drive & find a zip/flop w/ the 1.2?
I hate wasting money, swore this had 1.2 on it, but everything to do with this purchase has seemed like a fail. ZIP died after a couple weeks, slider doesn't work (Studio+ model so you do want that to utilize effects), & needs a new pad sensor.
Ordered parts from mpcstuff & a akai cf reader out of a later model XL, so I'm getting this thing sooped up, just been 1 thing after another...
Sorry, I just want make beats not catch a beatdown from a bad purchase.

How about update through the SCSI in the back? Would this work?
I would appreciate your time, knowledge, & expertise. Thanks in Advance.
By JUKE 179r Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:56 pm
You can hunt for another Zip drive but they go bad and will eventually fail.
Which brand of CF reader did you get? post a pic if you can. I'm only asking because the Addonics/Star Tech brand CF readers definitely need v1.2 installed FIRST on the 2000XL in order the reader to be used.
By JVC Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:33 pm
I assume that you have MPC-2000XL, not MPC-2000 (classic).

1. I'd get a working old PC with Windows 95, 98 or XP with 3.5" floppy drive.
2. Copy MPC-2000XL OS 1.2 to the floopy.
3. Install floppy drive to your 2000XL temporally. If you don't have an extra, remove it from the PC and and install it to your XL.
4. Install the 1.2 OS to your MPC-2000XL (make sure to not turn off the XL during the process or you'll brick your MPC.)
5. Comfirm / make sure that 1.2 OS is installed.
6. Installation complete

Advice on the storage media for 2000XL
Like Juke179r stated, Zip drive should be avoided.
For XL, you can still get a NEW IDE non-swappable CF card reader for about 30 bucks. Although this is non-swappable (means that CF card must not be removed when MPC is on, it works like a internal hard drive), reading / writing speed is far better than any other compatible media, and it enable to transfer data between PC and MPC.
Make sure that all the file name is 8 char or shorter (for instance, filename.wav is good, filename1.wav is not.) Long file name WILL corrupt file system (means that you'll lose ALL the data on the CF card!)

This one works well with XL (with 1.2 OS)

StarTech.com 3.5in Drive Bay IDE to Single CF SSD Adapter Card Reader (35BAYCF2IDE)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T9QQP0/

Also, note that MPC-2000XL is very picky on CompactFlash. Make sure to get SanDisk CF card. It doesn't have to be high-speed card at all. You can use something like this;

SanDisk Extreme 4GB CompactFlash Memory Card
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NGV4P5P/

XL can create maximum 1GB partition (it is an old machine limitation, and Akai wasn't good at implementing storage functions anyway.) So, you have 4GB CF card, you won't be able to use rest of storage space, but I'd use a new CF card than used Sandisk CF card which, you often come cross counterfeit (fake) CF card, which won't work with XL.
By carefulwiththataxe Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:59 pm
JVC wrote:
This one works well with XL (with 1.2 OS)

StarTech.com 3.5in Drive Bay IDE to Single CF SSD Adapter Card Reader (35BAYCF2IDE)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T9QQP0/

Also, note that MPC-2000XL is very picky on CompactFlash. Make sure to get SanDisk CF card. It doesn't have to be high-speed card at all. You can use something like this;

SanDisk Extreme 4GB CompactFlash Memory Card
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NGV4P5P/

XL can create maximum 1GB partition (it is an old machine limitation, and Akai wasn't good at implementing storage functions anyway.) So, you have 4GB CF card, you won't be able to use rest of storage space, but I'd use a new CF card than used Sandisk CF card which, you often come cross counterfeit (fake) CF card, which won't work with XL.

The cable from an internal zip would fit this drive? I'm looking at upgrading to a CF reader from my broken zip. Just need to know all the parts needed.
By JUKE 179r Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:50 am
It’ll use the same same 40-pin ribbon cable but the power connector may or may not need to be converted to fit.