Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By richie Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:10 pm
I have but I never experienced any issues with buttons not responding after.

So are you saying that once you remove the HD the buttons respond again?
By Wal Martian Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:35 am
No, all 5 buttons F9-F13 are not registering ( on sample page for example) from what I can tell. The HD is a whole different story, I haven't installed it because I don't know where to plug it in and if I have to splice power to it. I got the HD from a friend who said it was in another S5000 unit, and assumed it would be a direct swap. I have some random boards and converters laying around so I am determined to get it working, whether I have to go from IDE to SCSI etc. I will post some pics.
By Wal Martian Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:42 am
ImageThis is the HD connection 50 pin SCSI
~

ImageThe USB option and EB16 are in
~

ImageCurrent floppy cable vs size of HD power
~

ImageI have this converter board, 50 pin to 40 pin, this needs power too?
~

Imageother side of converter.
~
I have other misc stuff from MPC mods over the years. The guy who gave me his HD is busy so I don't know what the inside of his S5000 had in it, I want to use the sounds and samples on this drive.
By richie Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:53 pm
I really have no insight to offer regarding those buttons not working, unless something is grounding them out.

I have the same cable as you do there for powering the drive. I think the issue you're having has to do with the scsi-ide adapter. Since the S5000 formats drives to FAT32, you could plug that drive into an enclosure and read the contents on your computer just fine. Personally, I don't use an SCSI-IDE adapter, I use a SCSI3 hard drive with a 80 to 50 pin adapter and it detects fine.

One idea, look at the back of the S5000, try turning the term switch OFF/ON and see if the drive detects.
By Wal Martian Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:00 pm
Thanks Richie, I haven't installed the drive yet. If a 80 to 50 pin ribbon is all I need, that's great. I don't have a power cable for the drive yet because I haven't made one.
Left is the power cable that was attached to the floppy drive. The right is just to illustrate the connector for the SCSI drive. I'm assuming it's just the black and red wires and I can splice from where the floppy power is plugged in.
By richie Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:04 pm
Oh I see what you are saying. Yeah, I actually have the proper molex connector cable that Akai issued with the sampler. I didn't have to do no hacking but yeah you totally could go that route and just be fine.

As for the 80 to 50 pin, not all hard drives will detect as they need to have a controller that can go into SCSI1 mode. I have a 300 GB Seagate drive for my S6000.
By Wal Martian Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:38 am
I took the S5000 to Carl's house today and found the issue
Found this large crack across 10 traces on the front board with the jog wheel. I noticed it wasn't just the F9-F13 buttons, but also the jog wheel, and a few number buttons weren't working. I repaired it the same way I did my MPC3000 board with a similar crack, by soldering 10 tiny wires and jumping the crack.
We got the drive installed and mounted with the proper cable. My power cable spliced from the floppy power wasn't giving enough power. The drive was named "Lil Techno" and it had ~30 folders of techno/house loops! :-D gonna be interesting to comb through.
Thanks a lot Richie for helping me troubleshoot this :worthy: , gonna rack it up and start sampling some records.!!
By richie Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:36 am
@WalMartian glad to have helped man. What I want to know is how the hell did that thing get cracked. Someone must've dropped it face first or karate kicked it. Even then, it's surprising the impact to cause that crack didn't show any damage on the screen!
By Anders Bau Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:15 pm
Man, I´m I glad I found this thread! :worthy:

I have exactly the same issue: Bad packing & tough shipment = broken print in the jogwheel area (this is THE most vulnerable spot on the entire S5000 , I found out, cause the wheel goes directly in).

So, Wal Martian, hope you see this.
How and where did you solder those tiny wires? I can´t get the hold of it from your picture - I just see the crack.

Best regards
By NearTao Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:04 am
In the picture you can see the board fracture. He just soldered a wire on both sides of the trace. I had to do something similar for my MPC 500... you can check out the mess here if you want to see what I did. Basically just wired from each post because I had so many board fractures, but it does work great now.