For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By huh? Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:39 pm
Just wanted to hear what gear(s) you guys graduated to after many years of using a certain piece of equipment and deciding to replace it with this new piece. Was it a good or bad move? Did it make your workflow better? Etc.
By JUKE 179r Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:21 am
Not so much moving on but now I'm using my MPC500 more since coming from a 2000XL, 4000, 3000LE and MV8800. The 500 doesn't have the firepower of the bigger MPC samplers but I really like the portability of it.
I can transfer samples to/from my Mac to the 500's CF card, plug in my iPhone headphones, and sit on a shopping mall chair and construct beats while wifey shops for hours.
Once I lay down a beat and get back home, I can then transfer it to another sampler/computer to tweak it.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:18 pm
huh? wrote:Just wanted to hear what gear(s) you guys graduated to after many years of using a certain piece of equipment and deciding to replace it with this new piece. Was it a good or bad move? Did it make your workflow better? Etc.

It all depends on how your work evolves. I know guitarist who uses the same guitar and amp combos for 40+ years. I feel it's important to always learn, what is new for knowledge sake. But that does not mean you have to abandon how we work.

The issue with electronic instruments is that, they can very difficult to repair, storage media become old, and the electronics components are no longer made. Also many repair locations, stop repairing or do not know how to repair them. So when I buy a new piece, I always ask.

Do I like the feel of it?
Do I like the sound?
How will this improve my compositions?
Is it just something old wrapped in a new body?
Is something that I'm going to get rid of in a year?
Is it easy to maintain and repair?

Some gear is for a lifetime, some are for 10 years gear, and some we get rid of in 3 months. :lol:
By huh? Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:51 am
You hear and see it all the time. Iconic producers such as Denaun Porter made many of his hits on the 2000xl and is now solely on Logic w/ Battery. Aftermath staff producer Focus... was a 3000 user and now uses Logic. Nottz was a heavy ASR-10 user, now uses and loves Maschine. D.I.T.C producers Buckwild and Lord Finesse were both 4000 users, now both on the Ren. DJ Scratch was a 3000 user, switched to Ren and now the X. Even Mr. Walt from Da Beatminerz was a loyal 3000 user and has now stepped into the 21st century and use the X. The list goes on. They’ve all replaced their main workhorse. Just curious to who on this forum has retired their main piece for that new new.
By Lampdog Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:18 pm
ASR10 -> 2000xl + triton extreme -> 4000 + triton extreme -> beatmaker 3 on ipad.

90% of the time BM3 is what I start with now.
By Menco Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:24 pm
MPC2500, used that for years in different types of setups. I had the S3000XL and S950, had a Gaia synth for a while but sold all of them because I found out I do more with less. Couple of years ago I partnered it up with a MPC Studio for easier computer integration and portability. Got the MPC Live last month to replace my MPC Studio/ 2500 combo. When I had the 1000 I always wished it to have a battery powered option. When I had the portability and the flexibility of the Studio I wished it also had a standalone option. The MPC Live does all that for me. Sold the Studio today, glad to be rid of it because I started to hate it's workflow. Won't let go of the 2500, just love that thing too much.
By terry towelling Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:47 am
to cut a long story short --- started with a roland tr626 and tb303 and akai four track reel to reel...now have a teenage engineering op1, roland mv8000 and yamaha DX reface synth (well, i have a pile of other synths, but they only get pulled out to sample into the MV and then are put away).

in the early days it took so much time just cabling gear together for the mixer and reel-to-reel and for midi/CV/click track. the workflow never worked for me. now i use all-in-one-box workstations. the OP1 is the simple, portable all-in-one workstation, the mv800 is the fully tricked-out, high performance all-in-one workstation.
no cabling, no fussing around. just one button to turn on and go.
By Lampdog Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:55 pm
terry towelling wrote:no cabling, no fussing around. just one button to turn on and go.

I think like this 80% of the time. 1 or 2 peices connected at a time, less work, easier to maintain and get beats going. Others get connected as needed, IF needed, then put away.