Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By big ted Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:05 pm
its been a while since ive checked in here...life got busy, married, kids, the works. moved homes and put the mpc away...well I finally dusted it off this week and the data/jog wheel no longer works. did some looking and it looks like mpc-stuff(?) offers a replacement pcb board with a smooth jog wheel for the 2500. I did a little search and found this thread... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=76387 and it looks like I can solder a new data switch in...but the pcb board seems easier since theres no soldering involved, and it gets rid of the clicks....long story short....im wondering if anyone has any experience with these pcb boards from mpc-stuff? they say they will work with either the akai os or the jjos. im still running the akai os for now...probably a very early version at that. any feed back is appreciated.
By Erasmus Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:56 pm
Hey!

I’ve bought the smooth jog wheel pcb from mpc-stuff. I bought a broken 2500, so i can’t compare the two. But it works great, the wheel itself is a little smaller than the original, but it doesn’t really matter.

I’m running free jjos 3.13 though. But you can always update to the newest akai or jjos version!

Another plus is that you get a lot of brand new and very important buttons with the pcb from mpc-stuff!
By saltmcgault Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:19 pm
big ted wrote:its been a while since ive checked in here...life got busy, married, kids, the works. moved homes and put the mpc away...well I finally dusted it off this week and the data/jog wheel no longer works. did some looking and it looks like mpc-stuff(?) offers a replacement pcb board with a smooth jog wheel for the 2500. I did a little search and found this thread... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=76387 and it looks like I can solder a new data switch in...but the pcb board seems easier since theres no soldering involved, and it gets rid of the clicks....long story short....im wondering if anyone has any experience with these pcb boards from mpc-stuff? they say they will work with either the akai os or the jjos. im still running the akai os for now...probably a very early version at that. any feed back is appreciated.

my jog wheel was working on and off and my mode button was just about shot. Instead of trying to replace the jog wheel and mode button i purchased he pcb board from mpcstuff. It works great and i use jjos128xl it worked with the akai os as well. I think its probably the best route to go.
By big ted Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:06 pm
saltmcgault wrote:my jog wheel was working on and off and my mode button was just about shot. Instead of trying to replace the jog wheel and mode button i purchased he pcb board from mpcstuff. It works great and i use jjos128xl it worked with the akai os as well. I think its probably the best route to go.

thanks for the input. 2 good reviews...ill roll with it.
By saltmcgault Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:29 pm
big ted wrote:
saltmcgault wrote:my jog wheel was working on and off and my mode button was just about shot. Instead of trying to replace the jog wheel and mode button i purchased he pcb board from mpcstuff. It works great and i use jjos128xl it worked with the akai os as well. I think its probably the best route to go.

thanks for the input. 2 good reviews...ill roll with it.

I think It comes with a different type of wheel. if you want the original style wheel you'll have to request it. there might be an additional charge $5 for it though. I cant remember but make sure to double check if you still want your original wheel it would be an adapter that you would connect to the bottom inside of your jog wheel. you're welcome I have no problem giving some feedback been down that road before its always good to get input before droppin some coin for replacements/upgrades. :smoker:
By big ted Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:42 pm
saltmcgault wrote:…... its always good to get input before droppin some coin for replacements/upgrades. :smoker:

definitly...i assume mpc stuff is like an aftermarket parts type supplier. i work at the parts counter of a small engine repair shop for a living and ive seen some absolute aftermarket junk come through my shop so i was curious how they're holding up. good to hear they work well. ill be picking one up.
By saltmcgault Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:14 pm
big ted wrote:
saltmcgault wrote:…... its always good to get input before droppin some coin for replacements/upgrades. :smoker:

definitly...i assume mpc stuff is like an aftermarket parts type supplier. i work at the parts counter of a small engine repair shop for a living and ive seen some absolute aftermarket junk come through my shop so i was curious how they're holding up. good to hear they work well. ill be picking one up.

honeslty I think their pcb board is better than the one that comes with the mpc. I also replaced the whole set of buttons on my mpc from mpcstuff as well to make it look neat. when replacing the buttons I noticed a lot of them were broke or on the verge of breaking so either I have ape fingers with gorilla strength with the finger punching or the button quality from akai is junk. the buttons have held up pretty damn well. I would recommend their buttons too but they are pricey for some plastic pieces. My 2500 is my pride and joy and "if it had a dick i'd ask someone else to suck it" -lampdog :lol: :lol: I don't mind spending money to upgrade it with quality replacements.
By Erasmus Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:26 pm
I just meant the mode button, and all the other buttons on the right side of the mpc. They all have a limited life span, so a new pcb should give a lot of great years with The 2500.

The buttons on the mpc-stuff board feels line they are of a higher quality than the original ones.

The jog wheel is nice too, a nice thing about it is that you can still buy a replacement in electronic stores, where the original one has gone out of production a long time ago. So if the one on the mpc-stuff board dies, it’s much easier to replace.