Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Spod Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:11 am
I've got my SCSI drive working again and want to confirm the right sequence to turn it on and off.

TURN ON: MPC then SCSI DRIVE
TURN OFF: SCSI DRIVE then MPC?

Dumb question but I don't wanna mess up the fuse again.
By richie Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:05 am
No.

To start:
Turn on the SCSI drive first and wait for it to fully initialize. Then turn on the MPC/sampler.

When finished:
Turn off MPC/sampler and then turn off the SCSI drive.
By JUKE 179r Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:53 am
I remember Kanye having a sticker on his 2000XL "Warning! Apply SCSI before powering up! Warning!" :lol:
By acid kalle Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:12 pm
puh!

i never knew this. i always power them on at the same time, and switch them off. at the same time...
BUUUUT i must admit, that i lost a complete HDD full of beats. I always thought this was due to an old HDD....

:smoker: :smoker: :smoker: :smoker: :smoker:
By richie Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:21 pm
@acid kalle the thing is that sometimes the seek time on an older SCSI hd may not be quick enough to initialize properly. So turning the drive on, letting it spin up and finish its sequence followed by turning on the sampler is the easiest and safest way to go about it.

That sucks that you lost the drive. The data is probably still on it but depending on the issue, a small fault in the boot up sequence could cause the partition table to be corrupted. I'm sure the beats are still on your drive but the effort involved in recovering that data would be rather inconvenient or intensive depending on how you look at it.
By ajarson Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:21 pm
thankful for this thread because I have my MPC60 and SCSI drive connected to a Furman power conditioner, and I usually have it so they both switch on at the exact same time. Now I always power down my MPC before powering the Furman down, so that when I switch it on the SCSI drive can do its thing and then I can power the MPC on. How exactly do you know when the SCSI drive is fully "initialized" though, is it just when it stops making noise???