Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By platfus118 Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:57 pm
Hey guys,
I'm a long time Ableton Live producer that got bored and disenchanted with software - bought myself a MPC 2500 SE, getting a CF card tomorrow to load samples into.

I am really clueless as to where to start diving into this machine.
I have JJOSXL, I've been thinking about getting the "Beat Making on the MPC2500" but it seems suitable only for the Akai OS or the Free JJOS...

What are some newbie resources I can check out?
By Hepkat Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:49 pm
Hey dude! Best of luck on your new venture! The learning curve is difficult but once you learn one mpc you will be able to find your way around all! When I first started working with the 2500 I bought the jjos sampling bible for 20 quid and it opened my eyes up to a lot of functions I would have overlooked otherwise! One thing I will say is read the original os manual as the jjos builts on this! Best of luck!
By platfus118 Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:21 am
Thank you guys! Really appreciate the quick comments.
Ill read the jjos manual also :)

Should I start learning MPCs with the Sampling Bible book? It looks like chapter two (as in advanced). :hmmm:
By MPC-Tutor Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:03 am
platfus118 wrote:Thank you guys! Really appreciate the quick comments.
Ill read the jjos manual also :)

Should I start learning MPCs with the Sampling Bible book? It looks like chapter two (as in advanced). :hmmm:

It gets advanced, but in all my books I start off with the fundamental concepts so it reads well for beginners. But ultimately JJOSXL is a much more advanced OS compared to the Akai OS/free JJOS, so if you're finding JJOSXL a bit daunting you could roll back the OS to the free JJOS and use that to get familiar with the general MPC2500 workflow.

If you hold down TAP TEMPO during boot up it should switch the OS to the free JJOS (repeat the same procedure to return to JJOSXL).
By platfus118 Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:29 pm
I am trying to boot the jjos free from the jjosxl (booting with Tap Tempo held) but it says MPC2500 OS Update: "Wrong Card!"

I have the latest JJOSXL version, using MPC2500

My SanDisk 16GB CF card is working correctly. Loading and saving sounds as expected.
By platfus118 Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:59 pm
Thank you, I did hold Tap Tempo before powering on the machine.
I'll try the firmware.
Can I go back to JJOSXL without the password if I install the Free JJOS?
By platfus118 Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:19 pm
You're so quick.
Thank you so much. Bought both books though :)
Printed them, they're sitting comfortably next to my MPC.
Gonna go learn how to use that machine!
Thank you.
By platfus118 Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:31 pm
I ran into another problem... I installed the Free JJOS 3.13 after formatting the machine. It looks good, loaded up well.
I can't load samples. I tried using the MAIN / MODE with the LOAD pad (Pad 2) and nothing happens... What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE:
I think the MODE button is dead. Ordered lots of ALPS SKHHAKA010 tact switches from Mouser. Gonna replace all of the switches soon.